{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players still under contract but not wanted

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Players still under contract but not wanted

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:07 am

Anyone heard if any are on their way, otherwise we could be left with a real problem from that Scottish bloke?

l Anderson
Will Atkinson
Calum Butcher
Zander Diamond
Paul Digby
Johnny Hunt
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Players still under contract but not wanted

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:33 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Anyone heard if any are on their way, otherwise we could be left with a real problem from that Scottish bloke?

l Anderson
Will Atkinson
Calum Butcher
Zander Diamond
Paul Digby
Johnny Hunt
On this Yorkie I agree with you.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:35 am

I think it is wage wise rather than quality wise. Some decent players there
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:36 am

my worry is they will just sit there on fat cat inflated wages for a year, how can we support them to bugga off
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:39 am

yorkshire stag wrote:my worry is they will just sit there on fat cat inflated wages for a year, how can we support them to bugga off

You mean like Angol whose also stealing a wage .
Billy the fish
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby edwinscott » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:46 am

Depends how flitcroft handles them, as professionals they may have enough pride in themselves to do a professional job both in training and playing and could be good squad players for the season if we sign the right quality to be in front of them
edwinscott
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:57 am

Only one player on that list is a total waste of space, and even in his case there's a footballer in there somewhere.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:40 am

Sneag wrote:Only one player on that list is a total waste of space, and even in his case there's a footballer in there somewhere.

which one ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:43 am

My worry is that radford has told DF that he can only spend the money/wages he gets rid off.
stagsfan6493
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:03 am

They are hardly the worst players in the world and many other League 2 sides would like them. I think the main problem is that David Flitcroft thinks he can players who are better value for money. If they are still here then they can all do a job for us.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 am

Didn't radford say a bidding war had ensued for at least one player? Unless both clubs reached a stalemate in the negotiation process.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:16 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:They are hardly the worst players in the world and many other League 2 sides would like them. I think the main problem is that David Flitcroft thinks he can players who are better value for money. If they are still here then they can all do a job for us.

That's just the point, I don't think any of them are bad players at all, indeed a few seasons ago we would have been thrilled to have had most of them. The problem is, if what we are led to believe, is that they are on high wages (poss not Hunt) and as you say DF thinks he can bring in better for less. Evans scatter gun approach, sign him at any cost, has cost JR a lot of money and may mean DF isn't able to build entirely his own squad.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:18 am

Their wages are going to be the problem. We might end up having to subsidise some of their wages to get them off the books.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:20 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Sneag wrote:Only one player on that list is a total waste of space, and even in his case there's a footballer in there somewhere.

which one ?

Callum Butcher.

Good managers get the best out of the players they have available.

I struggle to have any faith in managers who want to off load half of the squad every transfer window (allowances for it being a first window or a terrible squad) can only opperate with a blank cheque book, or who just speak in bullshit cliches.

Good man managers are as rare as hen's teeth in football unfortunately because it runs a closed shop where 99.9% of managers are ex-players.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 am

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:They are hardly the worst players in the world and many other League 2 sides would like them. I think the main problem is that David Flitcroft thinks he can players who are better value for money. If they are still here then they can all do a job for us.

That's just the point, I don't think any of them are bad players at all, indeed a few seasons ago we would have been thrilled to have had most of them. The problem is, if what we are led to believe, is that they are on high wages (poss not Hunt) and as you say DF thinks he can bring in better for less. Evans scatter gun approach, sign him at any cost, has cost JR a lot of money and may mean DF isn't able to build entirely his own squad.

Ah Rob your hatred knows no bounds :lol: blaming Evans already for this season too.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:26 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Ah Rob your hatred knows no bounds :lol: blaming Evans already for this season too.

If we can't get rid of his overpaid players it will clearly have an impact though, don't you think?

Yes I do very much dislike him, to be frank, there isn't much to like is there?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:02 am

Surely a few of them will be Lincoln bound like previous seasons
MOTG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Anyone heard if any are on their way, otherwise we could be left with a real problem from that Scottish bloke?

l Anderson
Will Atkinson
Calum Butcher
Zander Diamond
Paul Digby
Johnny Hunt

I would like to keep Anderson Atkinson Diamond and Digby.

Anderson can do a job on the right either attacking or defending.

Atkinson has the ability to pick a pass and is composed enough to calm a game down.

Diamond is a good defender a captain and a goal threat from set pieces.

Digby is a useful utility player with a lot of energy.

There is also a lot of experience of success. Wouldnt be bad news to keep these and i hope flitcroft has considered using them.

Hunt and butcher just need to be released.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:10 am

I agree Sneag. Good man managers are hard to find in football. Most managers would rather just bring in their own players instead of working on trying to improve the existing players although the period of time they now have to get results is getting shorter and shorter.

I don't particularly like Danny Cowley's style of football but his man management skills are excellent and he seems to get the best out of the players available. John Coleman, Paul Tisdale and Gareth Ainsworth also seem to be good at this.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:44 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:

So you don’t think there’s a knock on into this season if the new manager is stuck with players who he doesn’t rate ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Their wages are going to be the problem. We might end up having to subsidise some of their wages to get them off the books.

Exactly, and that will come out of DF's budget.

Should Spencer also be included in the list?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:51 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:

So you don’t think there’s a knock on into this season if the new manager is stuck with players who he doesn’t rate ?

Of course there is but if he's a decent manager and he can't move them on he needs to get the best out of them like Evans did (barring Butcher), if this leads to a smaller budget if he's a decent manager he'll do a Coleman.
If he carries on as he started, getting the worst out of them he'll be gone by November.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:56 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Of course there is but if he's a decent manager and he can't move them on he needs to get the best out of them like Evans did (barring Butcher), if this leads to a smaller budget if he's a decent manager he'll do a Coleman.
If he carries on as he started, getting the worst out of them he'll be gone by November.

And if they don't fit his style of play, then what ?

Obviously they were given lucrative two year contracts for a reason. But then it went belly up when SE walked.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:56 am

Most of those on the list were involved in getting us to 4th in March .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:00 pm

daddycool wrote:Most of those on the list were involved in getting us to 4th in March .

Yes but the situation changed when SE walked.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum