{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags Players Cornered Haslam in club car park over pay

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stags Players Cornered Haslam in club car park over pay

Postby craigpriest14 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Former Mansfield Town goalkeeper Ian Bowling has revealed how he and the rest of the squad once cornered former Chairman Keith Haslam in the Field Mill car park, in a row over pay.

Bowling makes the admission in a revealing interview with us at Mansfield Matters, as he takes us on a trip down memory lane, in our new series for Charity.

**PLEASE NOTE**
This episode contains very strong language from the outset and stories which may not be suitable for younger listeners. The views expressed in this program are those of the individual(s) and not those of Mansfield Matters or its associated brands/ organisations.

Cornered In the Car Park & the Surgeons Magic Sponge’ – A Trip Down Memory Lane with… Ian Bowling

In the first episode of our brand new series, former Mansfield Town goalkeeper Ian Bowling joins Craig, Nathan, Simon & Cam in the capo Lounge, Mansfield, to recall his memories of his five year spell at Mansfield Town FC – as Mansfield Matters raises money for the Alzheimer’s Society [Donation Links Below].

In this revealing insight, the former Stags captain reveals a plethora of stories for your entertainment, including how the players and management once cornered former chairman Keith Haslam in the car park for their wages, how the popular gloves man was the butt of a surgeons prank, how a squad of “killer” sailors were born and much, MUCH more!

There is also an audio version for those who want to take the show on the go!

Each week the Mansfield Matters team will be joined by former Stags players/managers to share their stories from their time at Mansfield Town FC, all raising money for the Alzheimer’s Society who do phenomenal work with those who live their lives with Dementia. If you’ve enjoyed listening, if you’ve laughed at a story or shed a tear, then please give whatever you can, you can find the links below.

This program was recorded on Wednesday 2nd May 2018 at the Capo Lounge in Mansfield – a video version of the show is available online at www.mtfcmatters.co.uk and via www.facebook.com/mtfcmatters - a new episode will be online next Wednesday afternoon, a preview will be available to read in the Mansfield Chad.

……
**PLEASE NOTE**
This episode contains very strong language from the outset and stories which may not be suitable for younger listeners. The views expressed in this program are those of the individual(s) and not those of Mansfield Matters or its associated brands/ organisations.

…..
**DONATION LINKS**
Direct to the charity https://www.justgiving.com/alzheimerssoc
To Mansfield Matters (A Minimum of 80% of all donations go to the charity, the remainder helps to cover our costs in producing this, and future shows) https://www.gofundme.com/memory-lane-po ... alzheimers
craigpriest14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Stags Players Cornered Haslam in club car park over pay

Postby Marky Mark » Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Not sure it's a 'reveal' as such as it was well known that it took place after Steve Whitehall talked about it after he left, but looking forward to hearing Bowling as he was always good value
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Not as interesting as when Steve Hymas got him cornered :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:09 pm

As I don't have an hour and a half spare can anyone tell me what minute the car park story starts please?
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed May 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Enjoyed watching that Craig, good stuff. Ian Bowling was a proper Stags stalwart who was always in the wars during a tumultuous period off the field, when we actually had a scattering of proper club legends.
Ian Bowling comes across as a decent bloke with a definite affinity with the club and some good stories - thanks to all involved for bringing back the memories.

I'll definitely continue to watch your series.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Enjoyed watching that Craig, good stuff. Ian Bowling was a proper Stags stalwart who was always in the wars during a tumultuous period off the field, when we actually had a scattering of proper club legends.
Ian Bowling comes across as a decent bloke with a definite affinity with the club and some good stories - thanks to all involved for bringing back the memories.

I'll definitely continue to watch your series.

the next one is on Bobby hassell I believe, which could be interesting as he worked under DF at Barnsleh
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

He's a top bloke is Bow. Very lucky to still be here after a very serious injury he sustained at Kettering.

I was actually there that day they blocked him in. I'd gone to take some prints(!) to the club for the programme. Steve Whitehall had not long bought a new house in Warrington and he needed the money to clear the deposit & fees etc. He was really upset because he was being threatened with eviction and the rest of the players had had enough of it as well. I was in the porch bit of the main office when all the players went marching out to the car park. They were furious. The wouldn't let him go until he had written them all cheques. I believe it happened more than once as well.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Wed May 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Dan wrote:He's a top bloke is Bow. Very lucky to still be here after a very serious injury he sustained at Kettering.

I was actually there that day they blocked him in. I'd gone to take some prints(!) to the club for the programme. Steve Whitehall had not long bought a new house in Warrington and he needed the money to clear the deposit & fees etc. He was really upset because he was being threatened with eviction and the rest of the players had had enough of it as well. I was in the porch bit of the main office when all the players went marching out to the car park. They were furious. The wouldn't let him go until he had written them all cheques. I believe it happened more than once as well.

A cheque off Haslam... And high did that bounce!
steiner
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby craigpriest14 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks all, please keep sharing! Next week is Bobby Hassell who does reveal all about life under Flitcroft, a bit about Danny Rose and a few others. We've also go episodes with Mick Boulding, Les Robinson and Paul Cox coming up to name but a few!
craigpriest14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yellafella » Thu May 17, 2018 2:37 pm

I know another former employee who had to lock Haslam in his office until he would write a cheque for unpaid wages. He then called the bank and paid to have the cheque cleared immediately before he would let Hallam out,
yellafella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Great show Craig, well done. Enjoyed listening to Ian Bowling reminisce. He was a wonderful keeper for the Stags, and player of the season several times.

I remember the Exeter game so well when he broke his arm. What a terrible night that was, so gutting that he got such a bad injury.

The story about the operation was hilarious. What a sense of humour that surgeon must have had!

By the way, he didn't replace Richardson in the 6-0 defeat at Brighton. You're looking at the wrong place on the internet Craig, tut tut!
You should have looked here ;-) http://www.stagsnet.net/match/reports99-00/BriA.htm
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby ParisStag » Sat May 19, 2018 9:06 am

Bowling was one of my first Stags heroes.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat May 19, 2018 10:50 am

Bowling wrongly copped some flak on here, yet was twice player of the year. He was terrific for us, certainly in my top 5 Stags keepers.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Excellent interview with Ian Bowling. I enjoyed listening to his stories on the way back from Wembley yesterday. He obviously still feels very bitter about being released by Billy Dearden after five years' excellent service and the manner in which it was done. I did not know anything about that.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:03 pm

As a kid I always wanted to play for us (obviously!) and it was watching Bowling that made me be a keeper.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum