{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Transfer Rumours

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Postby PaulG » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 pm

It's remarkably easy to be ambitious with other peoples' money! If the Radfords were to put out a statement today to the effect that they have no intention of paying big money or oversized salaries for new players this summer, would you stop supporting Stags? To suggest that that would indicate a lack of ambition would be ridiculous, given the huge investment in the younger teams and the new training facilities. That's where future success, and sustainable success, lies. In response to one or two of the earlier posts, I've been supporting the Stags since 1963, and a season ticket holder since 1973, so time isn't on my side either! But some of the greatest satisfaction I've enjoyed was in watching a team made up of half a dozen former youth team players and an unknown striker (Chris Greenacre). It seems to me that the Radfords have been carefully building the infrastructure for sustainable success based on the development and ultimate sale on of the area's better young players. Another spending gamble like last summer could put all that at risk. Have a little patience!
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:05 pm

It’s obviously the ideal for any set of fans and chairman to want the club to progress due to it’s youth players succeeding, but it’s the Radfords who have been leading the want for this ‘child like instant gratification’ that is referred to. They’re the ones who upped the budget last year as they wanted to see results now, and that means promotion - so who can blame the fans for wanting to see the same success?

Whilst they’ve acknowledged that they don’t want to get ‘stung by agents’ again this year and are therefore taking their time a bit more, they haven’t shown any sign to me that they are going to pull the reigns in and place more emphasis on our youth players taking us forward for the next few years. They’ve already said the budget is the same for this coming season, Carolyn said on her most recent post that ‘we’re going for it’, and we were also told that fans would be excited by some of the targets that we are/were in talks with.

Looking long term what we are doing now isn’t really sustainable as PaulG says, our gates at the minute don’t allow for the budget we’re working to, so at some point yes we will probably have to change the way we are going about things, and there will be signs of that this year with us seeing more of the young lads I’d imagine, but the Radfords want to see a return on their investment for the last year so I can’t see it changing this year from what we’ve heard -We’ll soon know though once we start bringing players in. I’ve no doubt though that the Radfords do want a sustainable long term plan (training facilities, youth structure, etc.), so it will come.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Great that the young guns well included this year, but the senior signings need to be made fairly soon as ideally all players for next season need to be on the JR private jet with sunglasses and sunscreen at the ready so the new squad can enjoy the jolly on offer and sort out the much maligned gelling process.

Thanks Paul G for your last post and u sound as though u are in my era
I am being patient but not sure how long I have left to see Stags in the Championship but hopefully my son might see it.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:11 pm

PaulG wrote:It's remarkably easy to be ambitious with other peoples' money! If the Radfords were to put out a statement today to the effect that they have no intention of paying big money or oversized salaries for new players this summer, would you stop supporting Stags? To suggest that that would indicate a lack of ambition would be ridiculous, given the huge investment in the younger teams and the new training facilities. That's where future success, and sustainable success, lies. In response to one or two of the earlier posts, I've been supporting the Stags since 1963, and a season ticket holder since 1973, so time isn't on my side either! But some of the greatest satisfaction I've enjoyed was in watching a team made up of half a dozen former youth team players and an unknown striker (Chris Greenacre). It seems to me that the Radfords have been carefully building the infrastructure for sustainable success based on the development and ultimate sale on of the area's better young players. Another spending gamble like last summer could put all that at risk. Have a little patience!

I cant disagree. But wanting patience for success and hopimg that when success dies come its via a team full of local lads might be a bit naive. I agree that the owners are doing what they can to ensure it happens but there are no guarentees this long term vision will work. In the meantime we need to look after our primary function, which is at professional mens XI level and this is where we need to invest. To be a promotion threat we need goals, they tend to cost money through either wages or transfer fees.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
PaulG wrote:It's remarkably easy to be ambitious with other peoples' money! If the Radfords were to put out a statement today to the effect that they have no intention of paying big money or oversized salaries for new players this summer, would you stop supporting Stags? To suggest that that would indicate a lack of ambition would be ridiculous, given the huge investment in the younger teams and the new training facilities. That's where future success, and sustainable success, lies. In response to one or two of the earlier posts, I've been supporting the Stags since 1963, and a season ticket holder since 1973, so time isn't on my side either! But some of the greatest satisfaction I've enjoyed was in watching a team made up of half a dozen former youth team players and an unknown striker (Chris Greenacre). It seems to me that the Radfords have been carefully building the infrastructure for sustainable success based on the development and ultimate sale on of the area's better young players. Another spending gamble like last summer could put all that at risk. Have a little patience!

I cant disagree. But wanting patience for success and hopimg that when success dies come its via a team full of local lads might be a bit naive. I agree that the owners are doing what they can to ensure it happens but there are no guarentees this long term vision will work. In the meantime we need to look after our primary function, which is at professional mens XI level and this is where we need to invest. To be a promotion threat we need goals, they tend to cost money through either wages or transfer fees.

Nobody has said "fill the team" but what we absolutely must see is some of these young lads being given more game time, otherwise, we might as well not bother with the youth structure at all. As I've said on another thread, I'd have no problem sticking the best 2 or 3 in a starting eleven next season, give them a proper test. Even when you sign an experienced player it is still a gamble, just look how much money we spent on Butcher, a proven League 1 player! Once you get them in the team, I suspect other local lads will see the club is a breeding ground for young talent, the club is prepared to give players a chance in professional football and as a consequence we would be able to get and keep some of the best young local talent as well as young talent from further afield.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:29 pm

The Academy/Youth structure is the long-term plan.

Bringing in some top players now is the short-term plan.

We actually need to do both in order to: (a) survive (in the league) and (b) grow.

Furthermore, these two plans are not mutually exclusive (i.e. both can co-exist together) and 'quality' should determine the balance and to what extent.

I am confident that the Radford's have the right priorities (both short & long term).

Patience. ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:47 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Yes good post from Paul G but only problem is that, on behalf of many our long serving fans like myself (been watching Stags since late 60's) and we are still waiting for that elusive rise in the pyramid so I think to say we are children craving sweets or looking for instant gratification after that amount of time is a little bit OTT but your points are valid and do make sense.

I think he's talking about a small minority, Tilly. But, those he refers to are a bit blindingly obvious! ;)

I'd love us to win the league next season, but if we add youth to the line-ups in any significant amount then we risk that till they're strong enough. It'd be interesting to set up a poll to see what fans think top priority is for next season: promotion, bringing on the youth team, or both

I bet i can guess how some would vote :P

We've been poor to mediocre for a long time now. Some fans who begrudge others for wanting more than what the last 20 years has offered (one season in L1) is a sad state of affairs and shows the lack of ambition and that some fans are cautious over changing the status quo. We all need to be ambitious.

Say what you will about last summer under Evans, the transfers brought us together and we were positive aboit the season. unfortunately it didnt work out but it seems that the dissappointment has left an indelible mark on some fans who now simply refuse to either get excited or dare to speculate over transfers.

The youth players will come through when they are good enough and physically ready. In the meantime we need some decent signings and quickly as they need to be involved with and on show in Portugal.

So. Who are we signing this week, MTFStag?

Think you might have missed my point, AWC.

Every fan in the club wants more than what we've had in the last 20 years, and i don't think you honestly believe there are any who wouldn't? On that front we are totally unified - not a single one of us begrudge our fellow fan from daring to dream in hoping we make League 1 or higher.....
The whole crux of my point is, if it doesn't go as planned which fans will have their sharpening stones out ready? ;)

Dreaming of higher league status is what drives us most of the time. Without it I suspect our fans would have dwindled yet further a long time ago, if we didn't all share that belief that one day, just one day, we could elevate ourselves higher and rekindle some of the magic we once witnessed and gave us this irresistible itch. The passion of our fans is not questionable, imo. But if this passion is forged into anger and frustration it can be a hellishly destructive device - one that occasionally goes against the greater good of the club and its future.

Youth is perfect example here - we'd all love to see the local lad stuff the Spires or the guy 'down the road' fire the winning goal to promotion, but for it to happen may take a bit of patience from us fans. If the promotion campaign goes off track because of ex-youth team inexperience, will we have the guts to stick it out, or vent our disappointment at the manager for picking these guys in the first place?

Youth team is our future, but it does come with a potential cost in the short term.
Last edited by MutinyOnTheCounty on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:07 pm

as Alan Hansen famously said about ManUtd in1995..."youcan't win anything with kids"...so perhaps DF should use some of the successful youngsters next season
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm sure if the need arises and DF thinks any of the kids are ready he will use them. Having said that, we still need two experienced front men a midfielder and a versitile defender plus get rid of a least four of the transfer listed six.
I would be happy for Anderson and Digby to stay.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Yes good post from Paul G but only problem is that, on behalf of many our long serving fans like myself (been watching Stags since late 60's) and we are still waiting for that elusive rise in the pyramid so I think to say we are children craving sweets or looking for instant gratification after that amount of time is a little bit OTT but your points are valid and do make sense.

I think he's talking about a small minority, Tilly. But, those he refers to are a bit blindingly obvious! ;)

I'd love us to win the league next season, but if we add youth to the line-ups in any significant amount then we risk that till they're strong enough. It'd be interesting to set up a poll to see what fans think top priority is for next season: promotion, bringing on the youth team, or both

We've been poor to mediocre for a long time now. Some fans who begrudge others for wanting more than what the last 20 years has offered (one season in L1) is a sad state of affairs and shows the lack of ambition and that some fans are cautious over changing the status quo. We all need to be ambitious.

Say what you will about last summer under Evans, the transfers brought us together and we were positive aboit the season. unfortunately it didnt work out but it seems that the dissappointment has left an indelible mark on some fans who now simply refuse to either get excited or dare to speculate over transfers.

The youth players will come through when they are good enough and physically ready. In the meantime we need some decent signings and quickly as they need to be involved with and on show in Portugal.

Every fan in the club wants more than what we've had in the last 20 years, and i don't think you honestly believe there are any who wouldn't? On that front we are totally unified - not a single one of us begrudge our fellow fan from daring to dream in hoping we make League 1 or higher.....
The whole crux of my point is, if it doesn't go as planned which fans will have their sharpening stones out ready? ;)

Dreaming of higher league status is what drives us most of the time. Without it I suspect our fans would have dwindled yet further a long time ago, if we didn't all share that belief that one day, just one day, we could elevate ourselves higher and rekindle some of the magic we once witnessed and gave us this irresistible itch. The passion of our fans is not questionable, imo. But if this passion is forged into anger and frustration it can be a hellishly destructive device - one that occasionally goes against the greater good of the club and its future.

Youth is perfect example here - we'd all love to see the local lad stuff the Spires or the guy 'down the road' fire the winning goal to promotion, but for it to happen may take a bit of patience from us fans. If the promotion campaign goes off track because of ex-youth team inexperience, will we have the guts to stick it out, or vent our disappointment at the manager for picking these guys in the first place?

Youth team is our future, but it does come with a potential cost in the short term.

It's only the future if any of them are good enough and strong enough.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:20 pm

abc wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

It's only the future if any of them are good enough and strong enough.

Warning! “Stating the Bleeding Obvious” alert.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:38 pm

:lol:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:15 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::lol:

Telll that to some on here who seem fixated with getting the youth teamers in the first team no matter what. Oh and Edwinstowe with some of the bullshite you put on here I would get off of that high horse of yours.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:36 pm

abc wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::lol:

Telll that to some on here who seem fixated with getting the youth teamers in the first team no matter what. Oh and Edwinstowe with some of the bullshite you put on here I would get off of that high horse of yours.

:lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Oh come on - Giddy - up!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:45 pm

We have no chance of keeping a young talented player from the age of 7 years onwards.
Our only hope is the rejects from higher clubs and giving them a second chance in the game.
Glen hoddle did it abroad with Clucas seeing the potential.

Son I have you a trial at MTFC it would make me so proud.
"Dad I've just got a text from Chelsea with 300 other 10 year olds but I'm going to try Chelsea

I don't think this is the year we should try the young ones, maybe safe in league 1 with no hope of promotion
And no chance of relegation.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:28 am

DF last night confirmed that he is definitely NOT signing Raheem Sterling, despite man city offering £80 million to take him off of their hands!
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:59 am

m1cksut wrote:DF last night confirmed that he is definitely NOT signing Raheem Sterling, despite man city offering £80 million to take him off of their hands!
We need to put an offer in for that dodgy referee instead. We cannot fail with the gifts he hands out to his favourites!!
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:23 am

enough is enough, i think we all get the ‘ we not doing it Evans style ‘ this preseason, however the silence is totally defending from the Mill atm & so just to keep us interested in these lonely barron months of the close season

let’s have a bloody good signing today Stags
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 am

Pipe down.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 am

bellwhiff wrote:Pipe down.

i shall not Pipe down, you are happy in your hole that’s great for you, however i’m starting to get a little uncomfortable with Flippys lack of
A. Communication
B. Lack of transfer activities both in & out the club

i would like to see at least an interview with the manager keeping that line of contact going

We all want a successful season don’t we?

i’m sure a few signings would boost season ticket sales which must be good news
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:25 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

i shall not Pipe down, you are happy in your hole that’s great for you, however i’m starting to get a little uncomfortable with Flippys lack of
A. Communication

i would like to see at least an interview with the manager keeping that line of contact going

I agree Yorkie !!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 am

This is glorious whoever has June 22nd in the Yorkies Head Exploding Sweep could be in for the jackpot!!
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 am

west country stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

A. Communication

I agree Yorkie !!

Agree
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:43 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

A. Communication

Wow...so many people spitting there dummies out.

People need to be realistic....was stated we wanted 7 players..we have signed 2, we have 6 not wanted still with us under contract...do the maths yourself!

As it stands we have a squad of 22/23 players so until players are moved on then there's probably not going to be a massive amount of transfer activity as this is probably the maximum number the squad will run at.

We are now seeing the consequences of giving players over inflated contracts last year.

We rolled the dice and it didn't pay off.

Too many times signings are made, people get excited by saying "great signing" which always makes me smile as they have probably seen this player a handful of times, i think too many people judge players by what their Wikipedia pages says!!

Too many clubs have fell into trouble by overspending, I don't want to become one of those and I trust our owners are running the club well.

In a nutshell I think DF hands are going to be tied unless unwanted players leave and can't see any team paying them what we have.
Alwaysa5tag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum