{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Transfer Rumours

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Postby Gruff » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Time to unveil Zayn Hakeem methinks... Must be 19-20 now. Get him playing... forget the rest.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Would add Jordan Graham to, although more than likely go out on loan.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Gruff wrote:Time to unveil Zayn Hakeem methinks... Must be 19-20 now. Get him playing... forget the rest.

I agree
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Yep, been saying it for a while, we have to build upwards from the base of our youth team. It may take longer, but what takes longer usually lasts longer.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Gruff wrote:Time to unveil Zayn Hakeem methinks... Must be 19-20 now. Get him playing... forget the rest.

So by ‘forgetting the rest’ I presume you mean don’t bother with signing a striker? If that’s the case you’re basically saying you want us to go in to next season weaker than last year up front.

Zayn Hakeem May well turn out to be a good player, but to suggest we should ‘forget the rest’ would be madness in my opinion considering the objective is promotion!! By all means introduce him more to the squad and get him involved where we can, but we’re in a position where we’ve got to replace the 15 goals that Hemmings scored - putting your hopes on a youngster who’s barely played a minute of league 2 football won’t do us any favours.

We will definitely be signing a couple of strikers, but we will see more youth under Flitcroft I think, particularly in the Johnstones Paint or whatever it’s called now which will be a good way to see how they get on
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
No Breaks Allowed wrote:

As above, I think this is made up.

Can tell you for a fact it's not made up.

I said loans are possible from Derby on another thread and the players I've been told about going out on loan are mason, Jayden Bogle, Charles vernam and Timi elsnik...

Mason needs a run of games and a bit of luck. He never looks out of place training with the first team.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
No Breaks Allowed wrote:

As above, I think this is made up.

Can tell you for a fact it's not made up.

I said loans are possible from Derby on another thread and the players I've been told about going out on loan are mason, Jayden Bogle, Charles vernam and Timi elsnik...

Mason needs a run of games and a bit of luck. He never looks out of place training with the first team.

I don't doubt you know some of what's going on at Derby.

But I don't believe that twitter feed is a scout with inside knowledge as it claims to be. We've had this type of twitter account every transfer window for several years now. There are very few that are genuine (ExAgent is one that is genuine).
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby abc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:01 am

BH_Stag wrote:

So by ‘forgetting the rest’ I presume you mean don’t bother with signing a striker? If that’s the case you’re basically saying you want us to go in to next season weaker than last year up front.

Zayn Hakeem May well turn out to be a good player, but to suggest we should ‘forget the rest’ would be madness in my opinion considering the objective is promotion!! By all means introduce him more to the squad and get him involved where we can, but we’re in a position where we’ve got to replace the 15 goals that Hemmings scored - putting your hopes on a youngster who’s barely played a minute of league 2 football won’t do us any favours.

We will definitely be signing a couple of strikers, but we will see more youth under Flitcroft I think, particularly in the Johnstones Paint or whatever it’s called now which will be a good way to see how they get on

Good post ! To say forget the rest is just ridiculous, if any youth players are good enough they will come through .
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:07 am

May as well get the 'Flitcroft out!' gallows built now ;)

We can either sign quality this summer and try for promotion, or include our youth with a reduced hope we go up this season or the next. I don't think we can expect both, given how long it takes for youth to gain the mental and physical endurance needed for the league
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 am

Would be great to see Zayn in and around the first team

Have to say I’ve lost track of his progress - is he still seen as having potential
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:01 pm

If we are ever to reach the Championship, the long-term goal expressed by John Radford, it has to be as a selling club, along the lines of Crewe a decade ago. There are people on here who assume that the Radfords have a bottomless pit of money which they are prepared to speculate endlessly on that most uncertain of investments, the professional footballer. That's no way to run a business, and the Radfords' area of expertise is running businesses. Although the commercial side of the club appears to be run immeasurably better than ever before, our attendances will never match those of, say, County or Lincoln. They never have. The club has to derive it's income, therefore, from the transfer market, and that means giving youth a chance. That, in turn, means giving players an extended run in the first team (not just the occasional runout in a cup competition), and that means taking a risk. There isn't any other way of doing it. Last season's splurge of money was a gamble which didn't pay off, and shouldn't be repeated. Those who say it would have worked if Evans had stayed weren't watching the football; for a promotion-seeking side, we never looked dominant, or in control. From having seen Flitcroft's other teams in action, I think he may be just the man to blend young players into a successful team, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes, without any great expectations of immediate promotion. Instant gratification is what children crave. Long-term success is the real goal.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:10 pm

PaulG wrote:If we are ever to reach the Championship, the long-term goal expressed by John Radford, it has to be as a selling club, along the lines of Crewe a decade ago. There are people on here who assume that the Radfords have a bottomless pit of money which they are prepared to speculate endlessly on that most uncertain of investments, the professional footballer. That's no way to run a business, and the Radfords' area of expertise is running businesses. Although the commercial side of the club appears to be run immeasurably better than ever before, our attendances will never match those of, say, County or Lincoln. They never have. The club has to derive it's income, therefore, from the transfer market, and that means giving youth a chance. That, in turn, means giving players an extended run in the first team (not just the occasional runout in a cup competition), and that means taking a risk. There isn't any other way of doing it. Last season's splurge of money was a gamble which didn't pay off, and shouldn't be repeated. Those who say it would have worked if Evans had stayed weren't watching the football; for a promotion-seeking side, we never looked dominant, or in control. From having seen Flitcroft's other teams in action, I think he may be just the man to blend young players into a successful team, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes, without any great expectations of immediate promotion. Instant gratification is what children crave. Long-term success is the real goal.

Spot on, what a fantastic post. You say instant gratification is what children crave, there must be a lot of kiddies on here because more and more users are spitting their dummies out because we haven't signed a 300 goal a season striker or had a signing a day like last pre season.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:38 pm

PaulG wrote:If we are ever to reach the Championship, the long-term goal expressed by John Radford, it has to be as a selling club, along the lines of Crewe a decade ago. There are people on here who assume that the Radfords have a bottomless pit of money which they are prepared to speculate endlessly on that most uncertain of investments, the professional footballer. That's no way to run a business, and the Radfords' area of expertise is running businesses. Although the commercial side of the club appears to be run immeasurably better than ever before, our attendances will never match those of, say, County or Lincoln. They never have. The club has to derive it's income, therefore, from the transfer market, and that means giving youth a chance. That, in turn, means giving players an extended run in the first team (not just the occasional runout in a cup competition), and that means taking a risk. There isn't any other way of doing it. Last season's splurge of money was a gamble which didn't pay off, and shouldn't be repeated. Those who say it would have worked if Evans had stayed weren't watching the football; for a promotion-seeking side, we never looked dominant, or in control. From having seen Flitcroft's other teams in action, I think he may be just the man to blend young players into a successful team, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes, without any great expectations of immediate promotion. Instant gratification is what children crave. Long-term success is the real goal.

#nailsmacked
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Probably the best post i’ve ever seen on here
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Yep. Spot on. Trying to buy success is simply unsustainable.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Rigsby wrote:Yep. Spot on. Trying to buy success is simply unsustainable.

and there are no guarantees even if you do throw cash at it as we have all seen.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:08 pm

I agree with PaulG
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Excellent post
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Paul G you have got it spot on, and the only way to bring in the youth is to give them a run of three or four games, rest them, bring them back and see if they have developed. it has to be planned and deliberate. Lets hope Flitcroft is the manager to do it.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby abc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:16 pm

garlic wrote:Paul G you have got it spot on, and the only way to bring in the youth is to give them a run of three or four games, rest them, bring them back and see if they have developed. it has to be planned and deliberate. Lets hope Flitcroft is the manager to do it.

Let's put out the under 12s girls team for the season opener.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:38 pm

sod that. get the dosh out johnny and buy us into the championship before i die.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:06 am

Yes good post from Paul G but only problem is that, on behalf of many our long serving fans like myself (been watching Stags since late 60's) and we are still waiting for that elusive rise in the pyramid so I think to say we are children craving sweets or looking for instant gratification after that amount of time is a little bit OTT but your points are valid and do make sense.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 am

tillydog123 wrote:Yes good post from Paul G but only problem is that, on behalf of many our long serving fans like myself (been watching Stags since late 60's) and we are still waiting for that elusive rise in the pyramid so I think to say we are children craving sweets or looking for instant gratification after that amount of time is a little bit OTT but your points are valid and do make sense.

I think he's talking about a small minority, Tilly. But, those he refers to are a bit blindingly obvious! ;)

I'd love us to win the league next season, but if we add youth to the line-ups in any significant amount then we risk that till they're strong enough. It'd be interesting to set up a poll to see what fans think top priority is for next season: promotion, bringing on the youth team, or both

I bet i can guess how some would vote :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:12 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Yes good post from Paul G but only problem is that, on behalf of many our long serving fans like myself (been watching Stags since late 60's) and we are still waiting for that elusive rise in the pyramid so I think to say we are children craving sweets or looking for instant gratification after that amount of time is a little bit OTT but your points are valid and do make sense.

I think he's talking about a small minority, Tilly. But, those he refers to are a bit blindingly obvious! ;)

I'd love us to win the league next season, but if we add youth to the line-ups in any significant amount then we risk that till they're strong enough. It'd be interesting to set up a poll to see what fans think top priority is for next season: promotion, bringing on the youth team, or both

I bet i can guess how some would vote :P

We've been poor to mediocre for a long time now. Some fans who begrudge others for wanting more than what the last 20 years has offered (one season in L1) is a sad state of affairs and shows the lack of ambition and that some fans are cautious over changing the status quo. We all need to be ambitious.

Say what you will about last summer under Evans, the transfers brought us together and we were positive aboit the season. unfortunately it didnt work out but it seems that the dissappointment has left an indelible mark on some fans who now simply refuse to either get excited or dare to speculate over transfers.

The youth players will come through when they are good enough and physically ready. In the meantime we need some decent signings and quickly as they need to be involved with and on show in Portugal.

So. Who are we signing this week, MTFStag?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Zane made great strides early on but seem's to me to have stuck at a level, no longer sure he will break through. Graham and Blake are better options.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum