{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

An evening with JR & Carolyn 22nd May 7.30-pm

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: An evening with JR & Carolyn 22nd May 7.30-pm

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 28, 2018 11:09 am

The Evans model is not financially sustainable Rob but there are plenty of other ways of being sustainable. You can just cut your playing budget to what you can afford as JR clearly did in 2014-2015 when Paul Cox's playing budget was halved to £800,000. Adam Murray did not have much more the following season. The great thing about our current youth system is that due to Steve Hymas' fantastic work it is not costing the club a penny so if we did produce any decent lads we could develop and sell on then it would be a massive bonus. However they are hard to find because the Premier League and Championship sides hoover up all the best talent from a young age and stockpile them.

The other model JR could follow is the Peterborough model where you employ some decent scouts and spend a bit of money signing up players with potential from non-league or League 2 and then look to develop them and sell them on. Peterborough might earn £5 million from Jack Marriott who I can remember Martin Shaw saying the Stags should sign when he was a young player at Ipswich Town. We could have made a load more money on transfer fees if we had made sure Sam Clucas, Ryan Tafozolli, Tom Naylor and Luke O'Neill had signed longer contracts. Players who have a potential sell on value should never start a season with only one year left on their contract.

I'm sure we will find somebody sooner or later. We are also now lucky in having an owner in JR who does not have to sell straight away. There were lots of major positives last season. We broke our transfer record in signing Lee Angol. We signed Danny Rose on a new contract when other clubs were interested in buying him and we paid compensation for another League 2 manager. These are exciting times for the club and for the fans.......hang on I'm getting a deja vu feeling here :shock: :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 28, 2018 11:53 am

Sneag wrote:

Well fair play to her for getting to the second sentance before listing her qualifications.

CR is doing a good job here, she doesn't have to trot out the CV every time she gets interviewed by some hack.

Maybe she feels the need to. I can see that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The Evans model is not financially sustainable Rob but there are plenty of other ways of being sustainable. You can just cut your playing budget to what you can afford as JR clearly did in 2014-2015 when Paul Cox's playing budget was halved to £800,000. Adam Murray did not have much more the following season. The great thing about our current youth system is that due to Steve Hymas' fantastic work it is not costing the club a penny so if we did produce any decent lads we could develop and sell on then it would be a massive bonus. However they are hard to find because the Premier League and Championship sides hoover up all the best talent from a young age and stockpile them.

The other model JR could follow is the Peterborough model where you employ some decent scouts and spend a bit of money signing up players with potential from non-league or League 2 and then look to develop them and sell them on. Peterborough might earn £5 million from Jack Marriott who I can remember Martin Shaw saying the Stags should sign when he was a young player at Ipswich Town. We could have made a load more money on transfer fees if we had made sure Sam Clucas, Ryan Tafozolli, Tom Naylor and Luke O'Neill had signed longer contracts. Players who have a potential sell on value should never start a season with only one year left on their contract.

I'm sure we will find somebody sooner or later. We are also now lucky in having an owner in JR who does not have to sell straight away. There were lots of major positives last season. We broke our transfer record in signing Lee Angol. We signed Danny Rose on a new contract when other clubs were interested in buying him and we paid compensation for another League 2 manager. These are exciting times for the club and for the fans.......hang on I'm getting a deja vu feeling here :shock: :lol:

Spot on mate, but hey, you're getting carried away and need to be far far less patient, we need everything now, no yesterday. Why haven't we got a Champions League on our honours yet?!!
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 28, 2018 12:50 pm

I tried very hard to persuade Coxy to sign Jack Marriott.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon May 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Didn't Cox also pass on Vardy and Andre Gray. ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon May 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Didn't Cox also pass on Vardy and Andre Gray. ?

And often had Sam Clucas on the bench! :roll:
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 28, 2018 7:05 pm

Paul Cox had no chance of signing Andre Gray as we would have needed to pay a transfer fee. He was a big fan though of John Akinde and Lucas Akins but again we did not have the money to sign them. We fortunately dodged a bullet with Emile Sinclair when JR reduced the funding of the club by One Call.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon May 28, 2018 9:15 pm

Seem tk remember When Gray was at Hinckley he was best mates with one of our players Arran O'Conner/Miekle ?
Who begged Cox to sign him.
He went for 30k to Luton I believe.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 29, 2018 8:09 am

This is what Steve and all our youth team coaches will be hoping for in the future. Stevenage sell a young defender to Watford for apparently over £1,000,000.

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2018/m ... stevenage/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed May 30, 2018 5:07 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:19 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Stephen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:34 am

Why is she giving 3 and 4 year olds bottles?! :lol:
Twitter: @stephentsd
Stephen
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:24 am

I think CR's day is a little it over orchestrated , she does not go on like that every day, I'm sure.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:29 am

Good PR though
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:48 am

What a great insight into Carolyn's busy life as a mum & business woman .
It takes hard work & organisation to fit all that into a day .
She is a great inspiration to many other women .
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Vice President wrote:

He'd only just moved from Non League so you'd expect him to be sub a bit.
Anyway, according to Soccerbase he appeared 43 times for us in the 13/14 season, 13 of those being from the bench. I don't think that's anything for Cox to be ashamed of, even though people claim that he barely played him.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Bradders wrote:
Vice President wrote:

Anyway, according to Soccerbase he appeared 43 times for us in the 13/14 season, 13 of those being from the bench. I don't think that's anything for Cox to be ashamed of, even though people claim that he barely played him.

You’re kidding.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Are the Radfords back from Portugal yet?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:39 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Vice President wrote:

You’re kidding.

Check Soccerbase - if I've misread it please correct me!

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=51917&season_id=143
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Missing the point. He put a player who was clearly the best at the club on the bench. He was massively mismanaged by Cox.
If you can’t see it, you have the observational skills of Ray Charles.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:13 am

bellwhiff wrote:Missing the point. He put a player who was clearly the best at the club on the bench. He was massively mismanaged by Cox.

Only 13 times in 43 matches according to Soccerbase, so in one season Cox started him 30 times. Excellent for a first season in the Football League, for a player who looked promising but only at Hereford. He only looked the best at Mansfield after playing for us, obviously, and that high number of games is confirmation. Remember that he had an injury that season too and had to sit out for a while.
So I assume that you don't believe Soccerbase. What are your stats?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 am

Bradders wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Missing the point. He put a player who was clearly the best at the club on the bench. He was massively mismanaged by Cox.

Only 13 times in 43 matches according to Soccerbase, so in one season Cox started him 30 times. Excellent for a first season in the Football League, for a player who looked promising but only at Hereford. He only looked the best at Mansfield after playing for us, obviously, and that high number of games is confirmation. Remember that he had an injury that season too and had to sit out for a while.
It used to annoy me immensely that Clucas was benched so often by Cox too. I couldn't fathom it either. I would wager Chesterfield played him more often the following season. How many times did they bench Clucas. I have not looked this up but would wager the percentage is a lot less than our 30%.
ST4GS
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:32 am

ST4GS wrote:
Bradders wrote:

It used to annoy me immensely that Clucas was benched so often by Cox too. I couldn't fathom it either. I would wager Chesterfield played him more often the following season. How many times did they bench Clucas. I have not looked this up but would wager the percentage is a lot less than our 30%.

30 starts in his first season in the Football League isn't bad, particularly considering the injury which saw him out of action for a month during the Christmas and New Year period then having to be eased back in, and the sickness that saw him out in March and then struggling with fitness. Possibly he could have started more in April, but when he did start he was mostly poor so perhaps this was noticeable in training. Possibly his agent was already busy with offers from elsewhere by then?

http://www.stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=675&seasonid=14
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:54 am

I think we need some facts about Clucas playing for Coxy in his first season in League football.

The stags played 51 games that season
Sam started 34 games,
was injured 7 games and a further game at Northampton was ill before the game due to sickness and diarrhoea.
The rest of the nine games he was a sub.

Sam started first 16 games but following six games without a win Sam dropped to bench to bring in James Alabi at Southend.
Next game Sam started and had 8 consecutive starts until he was injured in FACup game against Oldham..
Following seven games injured Sam returned as sub followed by 8 consecutive starts.
Sam became ill on the morning of the Northampton game and missed the game. The next game Sam was a sub but Martin commented
'Clucas was on the bench having lost weight during the week following his illness last weekend'.
The following five games he was still on the bench which the Stags won four and drew the other.
He then started a game but was very poor. Martin commented
'Not a shadow of the player we have seen previously. If any scouts were watching, they’d have left before the end. '
The following game he was a sub and the final game of the season he started.

Looking at the facts I would say Coxy played Sam when ever he felt he could.
We might win against Accrington next time, if we ever play them again.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:54 am

How many of his 34 starts did he play on the left as opposed to the right?

We should have had him signed up on a longer contract but at the time JR was clearly having to cut his funding of the club via One Call and so was happy to take the cash.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum