{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

An evening with JR & Carolyn 22nd May 7.30-pm

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: An evening with JR & Carolyn 22nd May 7.30-pm

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri May 25, 2018 11:33 am

Steve has done a fantastic job with the academy and Woburn Lane and has put a lot of his own money into the project. I don't think it has cost the club a penny. It would be fantastic for him and the youth team coaches to see a few players step up and make the grade. However we all know that it is a massive leap from youth team football to men's football. 99% of lads who are signed up by academies do not make it to the first team. 75% of all young players who sign a first team contract at 18 have dropped out of the professional game by 24. As Steven Gerard pointed out, it is a brutal working environment and young players are lucky if they receive the one or two chances to "get in and stay in" the first team. Therefore Steve and the coaches are fighting against massive odds to find the one or two rough diamonds who we can polish up, develop and sell on for a good transfer fee.

The main problem is that Chairmen, managers and fans want their team to win and move up the league. The Chairmen will be aiming for promotion. The manager knows it is a results business and that if he loses three games in a row then he might be out of a job. The fans will be hammering the manager and the players if the team does not win. They will shouting for better players to be recruited. We have seen at Field Mill the likes of Alistair Asher, Jason White and Jake Buxton being hammered by the fans. The majority of fans are also happy that Jack Thomas has been released. He may be "one of our own" but many fans have been quick to point out during the last few seasons that he is currently not good enough for League 2. Rob suggests having Sam Wilson as a No 2 keeper but the fans would be going mad if our first team keeper was injured on 1st September and we had no experienced keeper as a back up especially if it cost us points and wins. If Sam made some mistakes then they would start to turn on him and the manager.

Another problem is that Premier League and Championship clubs have massive squads and academies with U23 and U21 sides. They hoover up all the young talent and stockpile them. It is therefore very easy for lower league clubs to pick up players released from these football factories. I went to Arsenal this season and they had over 100 players listed in their programme for the 1st Team, Reserves, U23s, U21s, U19s etc.

How can we improve things? I do not think there are any easy answers. It all depends upon the brief given to the manager by the Chairman. If the Chairman wants promotion then the manager is going to recruit experienced players and established young talent from clubs higher up the leagues. He is not going to give any young players a chance unless they are something special and can get in and stay in the first team. If the brief from the Chairman is just to stop in the league and to try and develop three or four young players then this will give the manager confidence to take a few risks playing young players but it will not help the club sell many season tickets and fans will stop coming if the team starts losing. It is also a problem being in League 2 as if we are relegated from the Football League then it is a financial disaster. Young players can struggle in a relegation battle as we have seen at Chesterfield. They could not compete with experienced League 2 professionals.

The best hope for the youth team lads for me would be for us to win promotion to League 1. The risk of relegation then does not have as severe financial consequences and I think the majority of Stags fans would settle for just staying in League 1 as that has been our highest level of football in the past apart from the one season in Division 2 (The Championship) in 1977-1978. I also think having a U21 squad is a good idea as it gives some young lads more time to develop although some of them may prefer to move into part time non-league football because they can earn a lot more money and start to develop another career.

The problem of developing young players is not easy to solve. I admire what Steve and the coaches have done and I wish them and the young lads all the very best for the future.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat May 26, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 pm

There was an interview with CR in yesterdays Metro, nothing insightful, just one of those 'I'm a woman in mans world' Q & A's that she likes to do. I cant see it online anywhere, but can scan a copy and send to Martin if anyone's interested in knowing what she has for breakfast.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 pm

yes please Mark
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 pm

steve-hymas wrote:It seems to me none of you believe in our youth system .They will be training and integrated into our first team according to DF .We have to show faith in them or there is no hope.Lets face it we don’t get the crowds to compete financially long term with the likes of Coventry, county and now lincoln .They have all had double the people through the turnstiles than we have .So that’s double the income .
We have to find a way to compete and not always rely on the generosity of the chairman.
We have some great lads and for me there would always be 2 in the match day squad.7 amongst the 24 would be great .Dont forget its not just this years lads .We have the lads and that progressed last year .One or two of them will feature after being out on loan last term .

Our lads don't play at the greatest of levels though do they? The lads who come on loan to league two and do well usually play regular football at U23 level in premier league two division one.

The only way to find out is to throw them in and see how they do. But it's not easy for a manger that needs results. I did like what Crewe did with an all XI academy team.
Sedgwick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Tis the problem, we all want promotion and we feel like blooding the youth could potentially derail that. If things weren't going well with youth in the team then there'd be a meltdown on here about how we should be signing 'winners'. got to throw them in at some point though otherwise there's no point in having an academy that tutors players for years and then just constantly releasing them
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri May 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
steve-hymas wrote:It seems to me none of you believe in our youth system .They will be training and integrated into our first team according to DF .We have to show faith in them or there is no hope.Lets face it we don’t get the crowds to compete financially long term with the likes of Coventry, county and now lincoln .They have all had double the people through the turnstiles than we have .So that’s double the income .
We have to find a way to compete and not always rely on the generosity of the chairman.
We have some great lads and for me there would always be 2 in the match day squad.7 amongst the 24 would be great .Dont forget its not just this years lads .We have the lads and that progressed last year .One or two of them will feature after being out on loan last term .

Our lads don't play at the greatest of levels though do they? The lads who come on loan to league two and do well usually play regular football at U23 level in premier league two division one.

The only way to find out is to throw them in and see how they do. But it's not easy for a manger that needs results. I did like what Crewe did with an all XI academy team.

That’s why we have the under 21 team to help the gap. We had Teddy Bloor, Harrison, Wilson, Graham and smith all play a large part of non league men’s football last season. Not bad for 18-19 year olds IMO.

We have also had championship and Prem clubs interested in Ward and Gooden so there’s definitely technical ability there as well.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 25, 2018 11:19 pm

Marky Mark wrote:There was an interview with CR in yesterdays Metro, nothing insightful, just one of those 'I'm a woman in mans world' Q & A's that she likes to do. I cant see it online anywhere, but can scan a copy and send to Martin if anyone's interested in knowing what she has for breakfast.

thanks to Mark and Dean who both sent me this article:

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Sat May 26, 2018 12:27 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve has done a fantastic job with the academy...

Excellent summary, and pretty much how I see it.

It's fine in principle putting youth teamers in the first team but it could destroy their careers if not managed carefully, and in our precarious position just above non-League it could destroy the club should the manager field inexperienced players on a regular basis and end up losing a relegation battle. Had we been in League 1 we could have taken a bit of a chance.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat May 26, 2018 2:14 pm

Rob wrote:

I think many share the view that we really do need to see some of these lads given game time, some on here are very short term, but I absolutely agree that we cannot rely on the generosity of our owner forever, we simply must bite the bullet and see if any of the 7 are now ready for League 2. No-one is better placed than those within the youth set up (especially JD) to know if these players can make the step up - giving 7 pro contracts says to me he thinks they can - that's good enough for me and is infinitely more credible than the doubters on here. The last time we had to field youth teamers didn't turn out too badly did it!

Maybe VP et al know more than John and his team ........ but probably not.

I think that 'VP et al' unashamedly don't pretend to know more than John, or even know that much about the youth players .... and are therefore rightly exercising some caution. I genuinely hope that our youth set-up flourishes and produces great talent. However, the likelihood is that one or two youth players might break through each year rather than seven. And placing too much hope on too many youth players to make up a substantial part of the first team would, (in my opinion), be risking our league status. To clarify my position on youth players - if they are good enough, then they should play in the first team, but if they are not good enough, then they shouldn't play.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sat May 26, 2018 3:44 pm

The lads are winning a league with the academy sides of Rotherham, Doncaster, Oldham, Burton,Bradford City and Scunthorpe. Also including Clownty, Lincoln and Chesterfield, so the must be on the right lines. Until somebody get's a start we will never know !!!
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat May 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Steve, I think I speak for many when I say we do believe in the youth system. We believe in what you have built and all take an avid interest in young players as they progress through all ages and hopefully on towards the first team.

This I think is evidenced by Jack Thomas. All wanted him to do well in the Amber shirt, every successive loan spell was eagerly watched with the phrase of many on here of, ‘he will gain experience and be the better for it when he returns’.

Jack has sadly had to be let go though everyone here, wishes him well in future career. Normally when a player underperform he is ripped apart by the keyboard warriors but Jack wasn’t because he was a local lad who came through the youth ranks.

Don’t be disheartened now, the greatest compliment that you could ever receive is not from the community of Stagsnet now, but in an interview in 10 yrs time when one of the players you have helped develop thanks you, out of the blue, in an interview.

Keep up the good work.
I am Spartacus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun May 27, 2018 11:47 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Well fair play to her for getting to the second sentance before listing her qualifications.

CR is doing a good job here, she doesn't have to trot out the CV every time she gets interviewed by some hack.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Just so you do not all have to register with The Times

Carolyn
I met John in September 2010 when he interviewed me for a job. He was setting up a fashion brand and needed a director. I knew how to manage contracts — I studied law after doing politics at Durham — and I had worked for a group that owns fashion brands such as Stella McCartney and Bulgari. He offered me the position and I accepted. Four months after we met, we started dating.

John had bought Mansfield Town football club that same year, and when the CEO job came up 12 months after we met, I went for it. I had always loved football and I’m naturally sporty. Football has parallels with fashion — they’re both fast-paced industries, constantly evolving and seasons come and go — as do the players.

At first I found John quite stern and intimidating — I was scared of him, to be honest. I like to get the job done, but I’m a smiley and bubbly person, while he came across as serious and businesslike. After knowing him for a few months, I could see the man behind the boss image and liked what I saw. The physical attraction was there straightaway for me and I was drawn to his mind, too.

I was single when I met John, coming up to 30, and felt ready to settle down. He was single, too, and had grown-up children from his former marriage. We clicked on many levels. John is 17 years older than me, but the age gap has never been an issue. It’s the same as the gap between George and Amal Clooney. The fact he was successful and wealthy didn’t have much to do with my feelings for him. I come from quite a privileged background myself. And his wealth has accumulated since I’ve been with him — we’ve built it up together.

He proposed to me over dinner at our favourite restaurant, Ye Olde Bell hotel in Retford, near where we live now. He got down on one knee and presented me with an amazing diamond ring he’d had made. It was very romantic. We got married in July 2012 and held the ceremony and reception in a marquee at home — I wore a Vera Wang dress. We had our first son, Hugo, a year after that. Four months later I got pregnant again, this time with the twins, Rupert and Albert.

In my first year as CEO of Mansfield Town, I faced awful sexism. I’ve had chief executives being rude to me in boardrooms and chairmen trying to speak to John instead of me. At matches, fans would chant abuse … it was hurtful and demoralising. I felt I’d gone into a nasty, hostile industry. But I knew if I reacted, I’d just look stupid. When I was really suffering, I turned to John and he’d say: “Don’t rise to the bait, keep your head down, just make sure you’re proud of what you’ve tried to do.” He is as strong as a rock and I learnt to let the worst of it go over my head.

Being given a hard time is a problem for all women in the game. But the situation is improving and the more women coming into football at executive level, the better. I’m friends with Karren Brady [vice-chairman of West Ham United] — we watch matches together — and Katrien Meire [CEO of Sheffield Wednesday] lives near me and we support each other.

John is a mile a minute, you need so much energy to be with him. He taught me to be organised — he’s ex-army. Open any drawer in our house and it’s immaculate, like a show house. He is driven at work, but at home he is kind and thoughtful. We travel to work together but have separate offices, mine at the football club and John’s at his legal and insurance companies. We run everything by each other and when it comes to the bedroom there is no boss — it’s equal between us.

John and I are soul mates — I can read his mind now. We’re completely different and that has a lot to do with why we’re so happy.

John
When Carolyn started working with me, I noticed how enthusiastic she was. She always perked me up at the end of the day — she’s a real spirit lifter. She turned big problems into little problems and that was so attractive. We started seeing each other and it was about a year before I realised she was the one for me. When I asked her to marry me, she was in shock. Time stopped for me. It seemed like an hour before she said yes.

Mansfield is my home town, so when the football club was going into receivership in 2010, I stepped into the breach and took over. It was a heartfelt move rather than a business one. I chose Carolyn as CEO because she was the best-qualified candidate. There aren’t many CEOs in the football league who are qualified lawyers, have such a deep interest in sport and family connections to it — her aunt is the CEO of the Scottish squash association and her mum was a PE teacher. I was looking for someone who could deal with player contracts, who was sporty and intelligent — so Carolyn was perfect for it.

When she took on the club, she found out people had been dipping their hands in the tills and there was quite a bit of fraud going on. She couldn’t get involved with anyone who cheats or steals and sacked the staff involved, so I saw that side to her. I was quite shocked, but she was right. She had to be ruthless. I can be ruthless in my other business — insurance — but not football. I was too emotionally involved. I’m happy to leave Carolyn to run the club. She has done really well to get it to break even.

We have three sons, and although we’d love a daughter, I don’t plan to take the risk because I think it would be another boy. I’d love the boys to be into football, but at the moment Hugo is more into Peppa Pig. We split childcare evenly, we both jump up with the kids in the morning and put them to bed together. Every morning, Carolyn and I go for a four-mile walk with the dog and talk about our frustrations from the previous day. At work, we have separate offices. We’d kill each other if we were in the same one, we’re both so opinionated. I love her to bits. I wouldn’t want to live a day without her.

STRANGE HABITS
Carolyn on John He always has to take nail clippers on holiday because he has a thing about having his nails short at all times
John on Carolyn She will try 20 dresses on and as we’re about to leave, she’ll run back upstairs and change again
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Kernow wrote:The lads are winning a league with the academy sides of Rotherham, Doncaster, Oldham, Burton,Bradford City and Scunthorpe. Also including Clownty, Lincoln and Chesterfield, so the must be on the right lines. Until somebody get's a start we will never know !!!

Exactly. I don't think anyone is saying throw all 7 new pro's in, but you will never know whether they are good enough or not if they are not tried. It is the attitude of being too scared to play them that has already cost us Lee Gregory, plying his trade at the top end of the Championship. If they are good enough to be given a pro contract then the club must think they have a future.

The irony is, whilst the return from the youth set up in terms of progression to the first team has been dreadful, it seems we are all agreed that the youth set up is excellent - so somethings not right somewhere is it?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Rob wrote:
Kernow wrote:The lads are winning a league with the academy sides of Rotherham, Doncaster, Oldham, Burton,Bradford City and Scunthorpe. Also including Clownty, Lincoln and Chesterfield, so the must be on the right lines. Until somebody get's a start we will never know !!!

Exactly. I don't think anyone is saying throw all 7 new pro's in, but you will never know whether they are good enough or not if they are not tried. It is the attitude of being too scared to play them that has already cost us Lee Gregory, plying his trade at the top end of the Championship. If they are good enough to be given a pro contract then the club must think they have a future.

The irony is, whilst the return from the youth set up in terms of progression to the first team has been dreadful, it seems we are all agreed that the youth set up is excellent - so somethings not right somewhere is it?

Answer to that - Steve Evans
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun May 27, 2018 2:40 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Rob wrote:

Answer to that - Steve Evans

I see the blob is giving it large as a TV pundit on Sky at today’s play-offs!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 27, 2018 7:09 pm

Lee Gregory was not a youth team player Rob. He was released by Sheffield United and then signed by Staveley Miners Welfare before David Holdworth signed him and then eventually sent him out on loan to Halifax Town. He had already decided he wanted to leave before Paul Cox arrived.

You could argue financially that Mansfield Town have made more money in the past from buying players from other clubs and selling them on. The only transfer fee we received for our "golden generation" players was for Liam Lawrence. I don't think we received a penny for Bobby Hassell, Leroy Williamson and Craig Disley. These players were also all picked up from Nottingham Forest and Derby County.

However the best thing about our youth team system is that due to the great work by Steve Hymas it is not costing the club a penny. It would be great if one of them can break through into the first team. The best bet might be the former Leicester City lad, Jordan Graham. He's a big unit and can cause problems for defenders.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 27, 2018 7:47 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Lee Gregory was not a youth team player Rob. He was released by Sheffield United and then signed by Staveley Miners Welfare before David Holdworth signed him and then eventually sent him out on loan to Halifax Town. He had already decided he wanted to leave before Paul Cox arrived.

You could argue financially that Mansfield Town have made more money in the past from buying players from other clubs and selling them on. The only transfer fee we received for our "golden generation" players was for Liam Lawrence. I don't think we received a penny for Bobby Hassell, Leroy Williamson and Craig Disley. These players were also all picked up from Nottingham Forest and Derby County.

However the best thing about our youth team system is that due to the great work by Steve Hymas it is not costing the club a penny. It would be great if one of them can break through into the first team. The best bet might be the former Leicester City lad, Jordan Graham. He's a big unit and can cause problems for defenders.

Off top of my head in the last 20ish years we have received fees for the following Youth Graduates.

Liam Lawrence - £500k after all the add ons
Alex Baptiste- £80k went to haslam
Tom Naylor - £150k to Derby
Ryan Williams - £75k I think
Lee Williamson - Undisclosed Nominal (£25k) fee to Northampton
Paul Holland - £250-£300k Sheffield United
Darrell Clarke - £80k Hartlepool United
Nicky Weaver - £250k plus Man City Friendly (Not sure on this fee)

Youth graduates who we’ve missed out on fees for.
Bobby Hassell
Craig Disley
Jake Buxton

If we would of had Radford negotiating these transfers we would of probably made triple IMO.

Transfer fees recouped under radford probably equates to around £700k for O’Niell, Naylor and Clucas.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun May 27, 2018 8:13 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Lee Gregory was not a youth team player Rob. He was released by Sheffield United and then signed by Staveley Miners Welfare before David Holdworth signed him and then eventually sent him out on loan to Halifax Town. He had already decided he wanted to leave before Paul Cox arrived.

Off top of my head in the last 20ish years we have received fees for the following Youth Graduates.

Bobby Hassell
Craig Disley
Jake Buxton

If we would of had Radford negotiating these transfers we would of probably made triple IMO.

Transfer fees recouped under radford probably equates to around £700k for O’Niell, Naylor and Clucas.

You have missed Richie Barker and Clucas
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Sun May 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Sneag wrote:

Well fair play to her for getting to the second sentance before listing her qualifications.

CR is doing a good job here, she doesn't have to trot out the CV every time she gets interviewed by some hack.

I agree. She must have a fantastic publicity agent to be getting all of these fairly high-profile interviews. Bit disappointed she didn't mention one of her other previous jobs, though..... Account Executive at Seabrooks Crisps.
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 27, 2018 8:25 pm

I think we only received around £10,000 for Baptiste and it ended up in Hasloan's back pocket.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun May 27, 2018 11:26 pm

The One wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Bobby Hassell
Craig Disley
Jake Buxton

They are not youth graduates.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 27, 2018 11:45 pm

The One wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Bobby Hassell
Craig Disley
Jake Buxton

They did not come through the youth ranks otherwise I’d of mentioned Corden, Murray, Mackenzie, Hunt, Lormor, Williams, Asamoah and a few others.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon May 28, 2018 9:51 am

I know, but the club still didn't give him a chance (no wonder he wanted to leave, what a great decision that turned out for him!), kept farming him out and eventually gave him away - utter stupidity and this is not being wise after the event, most of us said so at the time. You have to give these young players a chance, if not, you risk losing players like Gregory. The Evans model is not financially sustainable longer term and to survive and prosper we absolutely must grow our own talent - given the facilities we will soon have and the backing of Steve H and his team, there really are no excuses other than a manager who, like some on here, won't give them a chance. I hope DF is different, I hope he does give some of the young graduates meaningful action in first team friendlies in pre-season, not farm them off to play against or worse still, for, Boots Athletic!

I'm sure we got 20k for Leroy, a marvellous bit of business by Curle!
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum