{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The effect of a new manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The effect of a new manager

Postby stag861 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:51 am

Interesting article in today's Guardian by footballer Liam Rosenior on the effect of Darren Moore taking over the reins at West Brom and the effect of a new manager on a failing team.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... relegation

Selected extract:
"Frankly, I’m amazed we are still in the position of discussing whether Moore is the right man for West Brom in the long term because he has gained outstanding performances and results in his short tenure and the players have shown organisation, spirit and togetherness to get close to the seemingly impossible task of survival from such a grim position in the table.
As a player I hear and understand the question from supporters who pay their hard-earned money, asking how it is possible for the same group of professionals to play in the way they have under Moore, when previously under Alan Pardew and Tony Pulis (both managers with huge experience) they were losing games on a regular basis without the fight, character and belief they have been displaying recently.

I agree that we as players have to be accountable for our individual performances and collective results but in football, as in any other industry, the organisation, tactical plan, culture, inspiration and day-to-day training sessions are laid down by the manager, who has a huge role in defining the confidence levels, belief and spirit within the football club.
These elements can make such a big difference on the field of play where instead of players having doubts about where they are heading or even being unclear of the tactical plan, they are instead being led by someone who instils confidence and belief into them and can convey their tactics and methodology concisely and clearly on the training pitch from Monday to Friday, enabling success on a Saturday."
Admittedly this is about a failing club turning things around but we have seen the effect of a new man coming in to a reasonably successful club. Don't get me wrong, now DF is our man for next season I'm behind him, just offering a player's thoughts.
stag861
First Team
First Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum