{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained list

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained list

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Even now, see the Players Transferred thread, people still blaming Flitcroft. We didn't let them have him, it was his choice. He was out of contract.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed May 16, 2018 2:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Even now, see the Players Transferred thread, people still blaming Flitcroft. We didn't let them have him, it was his choice. He was out of contract.

Need to hammer it in with some people, they need a scapegoat.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dp1976 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:02 pm

And yet the more expensive options of Diamond and Mirfin were preferred at the start of the season
Dp1976
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby geoffhill » Wed May 16, 2018 2:03 pm

Personally I think Diamond and Mirfin would be my preferred partnership.If fit of course.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Dp1976 wrote:And yet the more expensive options of Diamond and Mirfin were preferred at the start of the season

I think the reason for that was because Bennett was a Murray signing. That would be easy to forget the way SE is praising Bennett. What I found amusing was Evans saying Bennett was even effective in mid field for Rochdale. Begs the question then why he signed Butcher before trying Bennett there.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 pm

I always thought that something was up when Bennett didn't sign an extension in February with Benning and Pearce when Evans was still here.
We might win against Accrington next time, if we ever play them again.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm

The contempt for Evans grows daily for me.
The point above about Butcher is a an excellent one.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 pm

No no no, don’t forget Butcher was is an attacking midfielder (said no one ever apart from Evans)
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:No no no, don’t forget Butcher was is an attacking midfielder (said no one ever apart from Evans)

Seen as a striker by Nigel Clough, but Butcher didn't like that and saw himself as a box-to-box midfielder at Millwall, playing just off the striker. Probably best described as an attacking midfielder (so I say it too!).
Bit of a strange one - shone with Burton and helped them to promotion to the Championship, then again with Millwall. And yet suddenly he can only get a game at Billericay level.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Bradders wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:No no no, don’t forget Butcher was is an attacking midfielder (said no one ever apart from Evans)

Seen as a striker by Nigel Clough, but Butcher didn't like that and saw himself as a box-to-box midfielder at Millwall, playing just off the striker. Probably best described as an attacking midfielder (so I say it too!).
Bit of a strange one - shone with Burton and helped them to promotion to the Championship, then again with Millwall. And yet suddenly he can only get a game at Billericay level.

I imagine the realisation that he was now playing for Mansfield Town in League 2 when he was dreaming of playing for Millwall in the championship was a blow too hard for him to take.

He's had a season to re-think his career whilst pocketing a healthy wage courtesy of John Radford.

It's a hard life int it Martin.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm

You are correct about Butcher being an attacking mid field player and Bennett obviously not. The point I was trying to make, is why bring in another player on allegedly high wages, when the squad could be utilised? We were lacking a midfielder who could protect the back four all season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

You are correct about Butcher being an attacking mid field player and Bennett obviously not. The point I was trying to make, is why bring in another player on allegedly high wages, when the squad could be utilised? We were lacking a midfielder who could protect the back four all season.

No the point I was actually making is that Butcher never has and never will be an attacking midfielder. But he was in Evans eyes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby IAmTheStag » Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Any news on the retained list for the under 21s and youth team or when this will be released? Nothing yet on the official site
IAmTheStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum