{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained list

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained list

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 14, 2018 12:35 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:If these types of wages quoted are correct (and I say IF) then it shows Evans to be an even bigger coward than I thought. Dishing around the owners money like confetti at a register office wedding and then doing a runner in the home stretch of the season is cretinous. The contempt that I have for the leech is immeasurable.

With you.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11189
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby Conker » Mon May 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Chairman and CEO is who approve it to be fair.

That makes it more unbelievable.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon May 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
James wrote:If some of the players are on that much, then quite rightly Evans should get most of the blame, but surely some of it should land at JR/Carolyn's door. Why would you sign off on such ridiculous wages for players that are over 30 with no re-sale value? Makes no sense. Not like an Anderson/Butcher would come in and gurantee us promotion anyway (in a way where a Hylton/Collins/McNulty may have done).

The lack of football nous at the top end of our football club does worry me sometimes.
Maybe they were influenced by the then manager.

I can understand paying over the odds for key positions. But we appear to have paid big money for several players in the same areas.

I couldn't understand why we signed Butcher at the time.

He seemed to sign players like I collected fag cards!


It's all supposition, but i could imagine Evans holding JR to ransom - threatening to walk if he didn't get his way fits his persona perfectly, seeing as he spent the majority of his time here moaning about things. What better bargaining chip could you ask for, especially after the owners had already plunged in so much it was too risky / costly to let him walk while he still acted like he wanted to be here.

All supposition, but it fits old Flouncy Chops mannerisms perfectly.


Really not sure about Butcher and the alleged personal problems - is there any substance to the rumour?
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby Rob » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Conker wrote:Chairman and CEO is who approve it to be fair.

That makes it more unbelievable.


No it doesn't, they trusted Evans based on his record of winning promotion when given a massive budget, they gave him a massive budget, he did one the first decent offer he got - he has no loyalty, the man is a fraud and will one day get his rewards.
User avatar
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3589
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Retained list

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 pm

Conker wrote:Chairman and CEO is who approve it to be fair.

That makes it more unbelievable.
I think the indicator will be how many of the transfer listed decide to leave.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Retained list

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:07 pm

James wrote:If some of the players are on that much, then quite rightly Evans should get most of the blame, but surely some of it should land at JR/Carolyn's door. Why would you sign off on such ridiculous wages for players that are over 30 with no re-sale value? Makes no sense. Not like an Anderson/Butcher would come in and gurantee us promotion anyway (in a way where a Hylton/Collins/McNulty may have done).

The lack of football nous at the top end of our football club does worry me sometimes.


They werent signed to be resold. They were signed based on their experience at a higher level. They were signed to be the "calm head". They were signed to help our younger squad members out by helping them progress. The problem we had is the high earners we're found wanting at this level. Perhaps they thought they'll walk into our side or put in 80% effort.

Each season in football "duds" are signed, look at the very top of the game managers sign players who aren't as good as they think they are.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4248
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: Retained list

Postby James » Mon May 14, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm sure every club does sign 'duds', but having 7 players on a transfer list & releasing 2 or 3 others after 1 season says to me its bad recruitment rather than being unlucky.

If it comes down to bad recruitment, that falls at the door of the manager who obviously should take most of the blame, but also the CEO, Chairman & Directors.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 14, 2018 2:09 pm

James wrote:I'm sure every club does sign 'duds', but having 7 players on a transfer list & releasing 2 or 3 others after 1 season says to me its bad recruitment rather than being unlucky.

If it comes down to bad recruitment, that falls at the door of the manager who obviously should take most of the blame, but also the CEO, Chairman & Directors.


Don’t get wrapped in blame apportionment.

Let’s just chalk it up to experience and move on.

I can’t wait for next season.
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5600
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: North Notts

Re: Retained list

Postby Conker » Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:Chairman and CEO is who approve it to be fair.

That makes it more unbelievable.


No it doesn't, they trusted Evans based on his record of winning promotion when given a massive budget, they gave him a massive budget, he did one the first decent offer he got - he has no loyalty, the man is a fraud and will one day get his rewards.


Look any contracts need approval from at the very least the CEO so not all blame is on Evans.

I know personal vendetta etc etc but you still gotta be reasonable.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby Grendon Stag » Mon May 14, 2018 2:44 pm

Not sure what planet some of you live on!

We knew in the summer that Evans was being backed with a big budget yet all of a sudden some are now horrified at the supposed money some of the players are on. Seriously where did you think this big budget had been invested, on the bus driver and kit man?
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 14, 2018 2:49 pm

It's the doing a bunk after spending the family silver that many are peeved about. Stinks to me like someone who wasn't convinced that it was wisely spent.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
User avatar
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8846
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: Insularfield

Re: Retained list

Postby Jamie » Mon May 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Some daft comments in here now. Evans didn't agree the wages, the CEO signs off on them. If they were signed within budget then fair play. No complaints here at either Evans or the Radfords.

Evans was given a big budget. Its not really a shock to hear he spent it. We all would, to get the players we wanted in.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Retained list

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:Not sure what planet some of you live on!

We knew in the summer that Evans was being backed with a big budget yet all of a sudden some are now horrified at the supposed money some of the players are on. Seriously where did you think this big budget had been invested, on the bus driver and kit man?
On the wrong players it would appear.

Sure every club signs duds but we seem to have signed a lot. Particularly overspent in midfield and had no midfield ball winner. Could have been spent on a decent striker instead of expensive bench warmers.

I sincerely hope they can be moved on.

Anyway what's gone has gone. Let's see what transpires in the next six weeks.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Retained list

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:Chairman and CEO is who approve it to be fair.

That makes it more unbelievable.


No it doesn't, they trusted Evans based on his record of winning promotion when given a massive budget, they gave him a massive budget, he did one the first decent offer he got - he has no loyalty, the man is a fraud and will one day get his rewards.


Look any contracts need approval from at the very least the CEO so not all blame is on Evans.

I know personal vendetta etc etc but you still gotta be reasonable.

If that happened Stagsnet would be a better place me thinks. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Retained list

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Why all the hand-wringing about the money?

John Radford isn’t complaining. He is doing what we should ALL be doing - MOVING ON.
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5600
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: North Notts

Re: Retained list

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Why all the hand-wringing about the money?

John Radford isn’t complaining. He is doing what we should ALL be doing - MOVING ON.


In public.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2711
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby west country stag » Mon May 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Jamie wrote:Some daft comments in here now. Evans didn't agree the wages, the CEO signs off on them. If they were signed within budget then fair play. No complaints here at either Evans or the Radfords.

Evans was given a big budget. Its not really a shock to hear he spent it. We all would, to get the players we wanted in.


IF THE PLAYERS WERE WORTH IT .. WHICH THEY WASN'T !
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
User avatar
west country stag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:32 am
Location: Penzance , Cornwall

Re: Retained list

Postby daddycool » Mon May 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Flitcroft spent 350k on woolery and 150k on Norris ,so he now show to sign duffers
daddycool
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 am

Re: Retained list

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Jamie wrote:Some daft comments in here now. Evans didn't agree the wages, the CEO signs off on them. If they were signed within budget then fair play. No complaints here at either Evans or the Radfords.

Evans was given a big budget. Its not really a shock to hear he spent it. We all would, to get the players we wanted in.

But not on the players we needed.

For example, did we sign a leader last season? No, it was left to Pearce.

Yes, the CEO signs them off, but on whose recommendations ?

Any way, Edders is correct, time to move on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Retained list

Postby Grendon Stag » Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:Not sure what planet some of you live on!

We knew in the summer that Evans was being backed with a big budget yet all of a sudden some are now horrified at the supposed money some of the players are on. Seriously where did you think this big budget had been invested, on the bus driver and kit man?
On the wrong players it would appear.

Sure every club signs duds but we seem to have signed a lot. Particularly overspent in midfield and had no midfield ball winner. Could have been spent on a decent striker instead of expensive bench warmers.

I sincerely hope they can be moved on.

Anyway what's gone has gone. Let's see what transpires in the next six weeks.


The squad was put together by the previous manager to get the club promoted. Up to the day he left the club was on target to achieve this sat in 4th 2 points off 3rd spot with a game in hand. Would we have completed the task if Evans had stayed i guess we will never know but the facts are for whatever reason the same bunch of players didn't perform under Flitcroft like they did under Evans.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby Rob » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:It's the doing a bunk after spending the family silver that many are peeved about. Stinks to me like someone who wasn't convinced that it was wisely spent.


Correct, some appear not to get it, they will when the coffers are empty. We all most likely know a lot more about football than JR, so he clearly trusted Evans given his track record and backed him. Evans rewarded him with an over paid squad and legging it at the first opportunity he got - the fact some are making excuses for him is astonishing. Jamie has no complaints against Evans over this massive waste of money, not a shock when you consider he had none against Haslam either :lol:

I freely admit to despising Evans but it still does not alter the fact that for all the smoke folk blow up his a1rse, the brilliant squad he brought in turned out to be mostly useless and most of our best players were ones that were already here.
User avatar
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3589
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Retained list

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 pm

spoke to a manager of a league one club yesterday ref his thoughts at the mill and what he thought went wrong here,
here goes “ Evans & Flickcrofts are different ends of the spectrum in relation to day to day management and set up of teams and tactics, the players in the building were brought in to play a certain way for Evans, without a TX window, Flickcroft was knackered”
btw he did say we are well rid and DF is a good footballing man & will given time be a success here Grrrr.......time will tell i guess lol
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby five to three » Mon May 14, 2018 7:05 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:It's the doing a bunk after spending the family silver that many are peeved about. Stinks to me like someone who wasn't convinced that it was wisely spent.


Spot on! I suspect that SE had often left clubs in such a state. No interest in building a team which is what we need for lasting success.
five to three
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby Dan » Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:spoke to a manager of a league one club yesterday ref his thoughts at the mill and what he thought went wrong here,
here goes “ Evans & Flickcrofts are different ends of the spectrum in relation to day to day management and set up of teams and tactics, the players in the building were brought in to play a certain way for Evans, without a TX window, Flickcroft was knackered”
btw he did say we are well rid and DF is a good footballing man & will given time be a success here Grrrr.......time will tell i guess lol


Did you ask him how his dad was & when he'll be out of hospital? ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6118
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Retained list

Postby Bradders » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Rob wrote: the brilliant squad he brought in turned out to be mostly useless and most of our best players were ones that were already here.

There seems to be two schools of thought. Evans was hopeless as a manager and only the fact that he spent a fortune on an excellent squad explains his successful campaign, or, Evans was hopeless at recruiting but a genius at tactics and motivation and even though the players were useless he somehow got them to become the best squad in the league. I think that you're going for the latter. I tend to be somewhere inbetween, where his recruiting was so-so (unable to sort out the striker problem properly, for instance, and kept on bidding for players that we couldn't afford) but he got the best out of what he had.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: edwinscott, mansfieldarmy, MTFCMusings, Nico, Stockportstag, yellowstagsfan and 35 guests