{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft - A Players View

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft - A Players View

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 pm

oldweststander wrote:Awc, fitness is fitness, swimming is part of the conditioning undertaken by professional sportsmen.

No it isnt. Thats a naive comment. Do you think Anthony Joshua could run a decent marathon time? Do you think chris froome can bench press much? Do you think that Alistair Brownlee would be top sprinter?

All have very different fitness types that are developed specifically for their sport that do not transfer well to other sports where a different fitness is required.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 12, 2018 3:38 am

I always thought Bo Derek and Daley Thompson were fit. But both in a very different way.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat May 12, 2018 5:51 am

Best of luck Jack

Reflect on anything you could have done differently and kick on - chase the dream
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 am

Amber Andy wrote:I always thought Bo Derek and Daley Thompson were fit. But both in a very different way.

Remember watching the Bolero scene in Ten and thinking we will try that .Had no suitable music at home so played eye of the tiger . Near on killed me .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat May 12, 2018 9:32 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rigsby wrote:Speaks volumes of Evans' "managerial style". No interest in youth at all. Disgraceful treatment of a young player.

One reason I’m glad he’s gone, amongst many others.

Me too. Managerial imbecile. Motivated through fear.

More a Trump than an Obama.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Many years ago an athlete I think it was Chris Chattaway trained with a professional football team and was physically sick after half an hour.Athletes are very fit but for their sport.Out of all the sports Squash is one of the most demanding for fitness as there is very little time between points to recover.Tennis is more demanding regards strength and stamina.Boxing is demanding for strength and stamina.Cyclists need to have tremendous stamina and strength.It would be interesting what other people think what the hardest sport to be a professional at.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 12, 2018 8:46 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I always thought Bo Derek and Daley Thompson were fit. But both in a very different way.

Remember watching the Bolero scene in Ten and thinking we will try that .Had no suitable music at home so played eye of the tiger . Near on killed me .

I admire your spirit, and stamina. :D Both good films bytheway.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 pm

I think I follow the line that Flipflop and Flopper should have just trained and played the most regular teM they took over with very odd tweaks here and there and using Digby was ok but to tinker as he did for 12 marches was not good manergial sense
I think JR had to give him another chance as he seems to think he has brought into the MTFC dream
Anyway onwards and upwards and think we all knew the games was up after Crewe debacle as we had not conceded gaols like that all season
In JR and CR we trust
In Flipflop I support but don’t wholly trust l’m afraid and please don’t waste money on overnight stays as players begin to think they are onto a cushy number at Stags
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 pm

geoffhill wrote:Many years ago an athlete I think it was Chris Chattaway trained with a professional football team and was physically sick after half an hour.Athletes are very fit but for their sport.Out of all the sports Squash is one of the most demanding for fitness as there is very little time between points to recover.Tennis is more demanding regards strength and stamina.Boxing is demanding for strength and stamina.Cyclists need to have tremendous stamina and strength.It would be interesting what other people think what the hardest sport to be a professional at.

There was also a programme in the 80s (I think) where they compared the fitness and endurance levels of professional footballers and male ballet stars. The dancers came out much stronger.
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat May 12, 2018 11:46 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Many years ago an athlete I think it was Chris Chattaway trained with a professional football team and was physically sick after half an hour.Athletes are very fit but for their sport.Out of all the sports Squash is one of the most demanding for fitness as there is very little time between points to recover.Tennis is more demanding regards strength and stamina.Boxing is demanding for strength and stamina.Cyclists need to have tremendous stamina and strength.It would be interesting what other people think what the hardest sport to be a professional at.

There was also a programme in the 80s (I think) where they compared the fitness and endurance levels of professional footballers and male ballet stars. The dancers came out much stronger.

Didn't footballers in the 70s & 80s live on steak & chips, drink like fishes, smoke like chimneys, orange page 3 birds and drive around in 3L Carpis with Luther Vandross casettes playing?
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun May 13, 2018 5:50 am

We had York City and Scarborough up for pre season training in 1990. I was pretty shocked at the lack of fitness. We did the Beep Test with them and although I was pretty fit after just completing my Staff Sergeants Course, I was shocked that I was only beaten by one of their players, who was a winger and a former X Country champion.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 13, 2018 8:27 am

Catterick?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 am

Sneag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:

Didn't footballers in the 70s & 80s live on steak & chips, drink like fishes, smoke like chimneys, orange page 3 birds and drive around in 3L Carpis with Luther Vandross casettes playing?

They still do, it's now called the conference divisions :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun May 13, 2018 9:39 am

Spiritater wrote:Catterick?

Yep. 8 Signal Regiment.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun May 13, 2018 11:25 am

Yeh. This was my point. 'Fitness is fitness' is not a true statement. You have to be fit for the sport. Football is a lot of short sprints, not long single paced runs like long distance running. All the athletes i mentioned are top of their sports, very different sports, and have very different attributes of fitness.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:27 am

What player said this then ?
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby acasman » Mon May 14, 2018 7:06 am

It was Anderson at the shirt sponsors presentation.
acasman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PRL13 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 am

As a(n) (ex) all round sportsman, I wouldn`t have thought that swimming was great for football. Table tennis speeds up the reactions.
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 am

one f in mansfield wrote:

An oldie but a goodie
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Mon May 14, 2018 8:58 am

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Good luck Jack, sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I'm sure you will get fixed up and can kick on from there. (Remember that you told me that there was one team you would never play for).

I’d never begrudge the lad for playing for them if it meant regular football for him.

Good luck jack.......he’s one of our own !!!
Neither would I. I don't think any club's action could be more cruel or insulting.

Indeed
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:03 pm

acasman wrote:It was Anderson at the shirt sponsors presentation.

Cheers mate.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon May 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Has DF spilt the beans yet? On his last interview at the end of the season he said things will start to come out about SE etc. Has it?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Dan wrote:Has DF spilt the beans yet? On his last interview at the end of the season he said things will start to come out about SE etc. Has it?

where did DF say that Dan?

it's like murraygate all over again :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm

Dan wrote:Has DF spilt the beans yet? On his last interview at the end of the season he said things will start to come out about SE etc. Has it?

i never spotted that Dan, very interesting
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Yeah it was in the bbc Nottingham interview. He said some things would come out, he was talking to Jake Garner.
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum