{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft - A Players View

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft - A Players View

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 10, 2018 1:07 am

David Flitcroft clearly tried to change things too soon with changing the training sessions and swapping dressing rooms. He should have waited until the end of the season. He needs to reflect on his own performance and work out where he went wrong otherwise he is just as likely to make the same mistakes again.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu May 10, 2018 5:15 am

There are no excuses if a professional sportsman is unfit to do their job. It’s not a hobby. It’s what they are paid to do.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 am

We dont really care how fast a footballer can swim though do we. Footballers need to run.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 am

Awc, fitness is fitness, swimming is part of the conditioning undertaken by professional sportsmen.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 am

london amber stag wrote:I am now prepared to back JR in his endorsement of Flitcroft, I along with many others, was bitterly disappointed to miss out on the top 7 and was annoyed with the manager’s overhaul of the playing style at a crucial time of the season.
However, we now look to the future and it is vital that we hit the ground running in terms of upping the win rate, , drawing fewer games, gaining more clean sheets and scoring from our many crosses into the box! To name but a few. The manager must get the fans on board quickly and if we all stick together we will achieve our dream of promotion. If we start the season strongly and gain early momentum, the backing will be there from the terraces. I am in no doubt that JR will have had serious words about the failings of this season and hopefully Flitcroft will be able to address this and make improvements

We'll need time to gel though. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 am

Jamie wrote:Its all well and good people throwing mud at Evans but his record, both here and at other clubs, is undeniable.

Yes he left us high and dry and his methods are questionable but he did a good job for us.

The comments on Flitcroft are hard to understand. If the players liked what he was doing, why were they / we so bad. It doesn't all add up.

The Scottish manager didn't do a good job for us. A good job is when you see it through to the finish, tidy the tools away and make sure the customer's happy.
No good leaving the wall superbly plastered but only 3/4 of it done then saying, 'I'll nae be coming back, I'm off to try and finish plastering someone else's wall'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:David Flitcroft clearly tried to change things too soon with changing the training sessions and swapping dressing rooms. He should have waited until the end of the season. He needs to reflect on his own performance and work out where he went wrong otherwise he is just as likely to make the same mistakes again.

Why ?????
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu May 10, 2018 9:43 am

My main concern is Flitcroft doesn’t realise his own mistakes, if that’s the case it’s only going to end one way.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Conker wrote:My main concern is Flitcroft doesn’t realise his own mistakes, if that’s the case it’s only going to end one way.

Time will tell soon enough.

Although i'd bet 99% of all the managers out there share this trait, including Evans
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Thu May 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Conker wrote:My main concern is Flitcroft doesn’t realise his own mistakes, if that’s the case it’s only going to end one way.

That is my main worry too. I may have missed it, but I don't think that he's admitted that things went badly wrong on the pitch after he arrived, or apologised for his mistake in trying to change things at the wrong time. Offering excuses about the previous regime doesn't really do him any favours - Evans' way is clearly not his, but it was doing the job and I'd say that almost all of us on here would have advised keeping the ship on the same steady course rather than taking a different tack.

When he first said that he was going to change things because there had been "too many draws" I heard alarm bells. Straight away he led us to three 1-1 draws, followed by a sequence of more 1-1 draws and a fair sprinkling of losses.

However, look at the last five matches. Granted, the damage had already been done and granted, we couldn't muster a win at the end despite it being essential. But results-wise our form was almost on a par with our early year form again (9 points from 15 - Accrington also had 9, Luton 11, Wycombe 10, Exeter 8, Notts 10, Coventry 10, Lincoln 8 - only Crewe, Grimsby and Barnet hit top form at this stage). So Flitcroft had turned things around from the relegation form of the first few matches in charge. Added to the positive feedback from various quarters, I'm starting to warm to the idea of giving him a chance, instead of viewing next season as a bleak waste of time.

I think that he really needs to move into top gear now though, as he's used up a lot of his goodwill and if by Christmas the team is still needing to "gel" he could be on dodgy ground even with a very patient chairman.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 am

I think he tried to keep it the same in his first 2 games and we drew them both stuck with it 90% at County and we drew again. Then he panicked and reverted to how he thought that squad should be playing and it failed spectacularly at FGR and while performances where better we never really recovered from there amid the change no one could compensate for Mal losing his brain against Accrington and Diamond losing his footballing ability against Crewe but DF was certainly not blameless against Crewe either.

Now he can prepare a squad and a team in exactly the way he wants he kept who he wants and released who he didn't so from now I will judge and from now he really doesn't have any excuses looking backward so here is to a positive off season and hopefully successful campaign.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:40 am

Evans went home to eat a hearty meal!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sammythestag » Fri May 11, 2018 1:12 pm

acasman wrote:I'll name the player if he does leave.

Are you able to name the player now?
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Jack Thomas treated unfairly at the beginning of the season I see.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri May 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Jack Thomas treated unfairly at the beginning of the season I see.

What?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Fri May 11, 2018 4:08 pm

hes but a fb status up. No first team locker, not in team photo etc
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 11, 2018 4:26 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Jack Thomas treated unfairly at the beginning of the season I see.

What?

--------------------

Thursday 10 May 2018

facebook Jack Thomas

It's a sad day leaving mansfield town after 5 years. It was always going to be hard this season to break into the team when I came back for pre season and didn't have a locker in the first team changing room and was left out of the team photo. But these things happen in football and I have had many more highs than lows, the club is only going one way and that is up with the chairman and Carolyn in charge. The fans have been amazing with me and I can't thank you enough for that. All the best

------------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 11, 2018 4:46 pm

that's quite sad really for a young lad
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri May 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Seems a nice lad with good things to say. Pity this didn’t work out for him. I will never forget he saved us from relegation with some brilliant performances near the end of the season a few years ago!!! Good luck JT.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:08 pm

All the best JT in whatever you do next :mtfc:
BoughtonStag71
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Good luck Jack, sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I'm sure you will get fixed up and can kick on from there. (Remember that you told me that there was one team you would never play for).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Good luck Jack, sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I'm sure you will get fixed up and can kick on from there. (Remember that you told me that there was one team you would never play for).

I’d never begrudge the lad for playing for them if it meant regular football for him.

Good luck jack.......he’s one of our own !!!
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 11, 2018 7:06 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Good luck Jack, sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I'm sure you will get fixed up and can kick on from there. (Remember that you told me that there was one team you would never play for).

I’d never begrudge the lad for playing for them if it meant regular football for him.

Good luck jack.......he’s one of our own !!!
Neither would I. I don't think any club's action could be more cruel or insulting.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Fri May 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Speaks volumes of Evans' "managerial style". No interest in youth at all. Disgraceful treatment of a young player.
Rigsby
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri May 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Rigsby wrote:Speaks volumes of Evans' "managerial style". No interest in youth at all. Disgraceful treatment of a young player.

One reason I’m glad he’s gone, amongst many others.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum