{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft - A Players View

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Flitcroft - A Players View

Postby acasman » Wed May 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Talked to a player not in Flitcroft's plans for next year so could have had an axe to grind. Quite the reverse.

Training under him is better than under Evans. More intense but "I've learned stuff with him unlike Evans"
" I really believe he is the right manager for this club. He will take it forward."
"I like his ideas and his views on how to play the game"
Players were not as fit as they should have been due to Evans attitude to training.

One negative. The intense training at that stage of the season was too late in the day. Needed to wait till close season.

Personally I don't like Flitcroft and I believe he did cost us a shot at promotion. After Saturday's match I should have been out on the town with the guys I drink with and sit with at matches, but I got so angry at their defence of him that I went home instead. Having had 4 days to cool down I think I was a bit of an idiot. However at 69 I don't know how many years I've got left to see us moving up the leagues. Here's hoping that next season Flitcroft puts it right and I get to see some success. I will have a season ticket again and I will start the next campaign with an open mind. We all need to start afresh, the endless debates on here about whose fault is was serve no useful purpose. Its gone, we live with it, we look forward with hope.

Apologies to my mates for being a plonker last Saturday.
acasman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Flitcroft - A Players View

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 09, 2018 2:01 pm

good for you youth, we all hope Flip Flop can deliver next season or he will know extremely quickly what a demanding lot we can be !

Up the Stags
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Be interesting to know what player it was. Either way though good insight and let’s hope next year be our year.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 pm

acasman wrote:Talked to a player not in Flitcroft's plans for next year so could have had an axe to grind. Quite the reverse.

Training under him is better than under Evans. More intense but "I've learned stuff with him unlike Evans"
" I really believe he is the right manager for this club. He will take it forward."
"I like his ideas and his views on how to play the game"
Players were not as fit as they should have been due to Evans attitude to training.

One negative. The intense training at that stage of the season was too late in the day. Needed to wait till close season.

Personally I don't like Flitcroft and I believe he did cost us a shot at promotion. After Saturday's match I should have been out on the town with the guys I drink with and sit with at matches, but I got so angry at their defence of him that I went home instead. Having had 4 days to cool down I think I was a bit of an idiot. However at 69 I don't know how many years I've got left to see us moving up the leagues. Here's hoping that next season Flitcroft puts it right and I get to see some success. I will have a season ticket again and I will start the next campaign with an open mind. We all need to start afresh, the endless debates on here about whose fault is was serve no useful purpose. Its gone, we live with it, we look forward with hope.

Apologies to my mates for being a plonker last Saturday.

Well said
West Ham 1969
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 09, 2018 2:18 pm

interesting and informative, thanks.

So the player was talking about style of play and fitness. No issue at all with attempting to change both of those, the manager just should not have done it with 12 games of the season to go. We were getting along fine if he'd just kept things ticking along as they were. He could then have implemented changes in pre-season.

Anyway, what's done is done. Hopefully we can mount a promotion campaign next season.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 09, 2018 2:22 pm

if i gave you a quid to bet on us for promotion next season Marty
right here right now, would you go yes or no?

no mitigation required just yes or no for next season at this stage?

before you ask, my heart says yes but my head says no

based on his tactics, formations & substitutions this season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 09, 2018 2:37 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:if i gave you a quid to bet on us for promotion next season Marty
right here right now, would you go yes or no?

no mitigation required just yes or no for next season at this stage?

before you ask, my heart says yes but my head says no

based on his tactics, formations & substitutions this season

At this stage, I'd give us a reasonable chance of being top 7, and I would hope we would be.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 09, 2018 3:04 pm

i sure hope so
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby acasman » Wed May 09, 2018 3:39 pm

I'll name the player if he does leave.
acasman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkstag » Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm

I am pretty confident and I think we will get promoted but we have a part to play. I think the support this year particularly away from home has been fantastic.

I was very pro Evans but on reflection his actions confirm everything people say about him. If we had got promoted he would have left if a better offer came in. I genuinely believe DF will look to build something here and from what I hear he is interested in youth ( as I’ve said on other threads read Demps interview)

Can we please stop moaning and the personal insults aimed at DF. He is one of us and whether we like it or not will be here next season. We are where we are and another change would set us back even further

Let support him - have you ever known anyone improve as a result of personal abuse and constant criticism. I’m sure JR has been v clear what’s expected now
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby london amber stag » Wed May 09, 2018 4:39 pm

I am now prepared to back JR in his endorsement of Flitcroft, I along with many others, was bitterly disappointed to miss out on the top 7 and was annoyed with the manager’s overhaul of the playing style at a crucial time of the season.
However, we now look to the future and it is vital that we hit the ground running in terms of upping the win rate, , drawing fewer games, gaining more clean sheets and scoring from our many crosses into the box! To name but a few. The manager must get the fans on board quickly and if we all stick together we will achieve our dream of promotion. If we start the season strongly and gain early momentum, the backing will be there from the terraces. I am in no doubt that JR will have had serious words about the failings of this season and hopefully Flitcroft will be able to address this and make improvements
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed May 09, 2018 5:44 pm

What did he mean by Evans' attitude to training , can you elaborate?
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Wed May 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Anderson
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Acasman ,id just chill its gonna be another up and downer ,at the end of the day we will either be brilliant ,which under flitcroft is my hope or were gonna be mid table ,i honestly think hes the man for us ,but nowadays i just roll with it ,certainly wont be in tears anyway theres too much in life that kills us so onwards and hopefully upwards
spanishstag
First Team
First Team

Postby acasman » Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Didn't do much training. Little hard work in terms of stamina building. Had usually left the ground just after lunchtime
acasman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 09, 2018 7:36 pm

acasman wrote:Didn't do much training. Little hard work in terms of stamina building. Had usually left the ground just after lunchtime

I heard ages ago that SE was rarely there for training and that they didn't do much of it either. Don't know if it's true , just what I heard.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ladybr00kjohn » Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 pm

S.E. used to shoot home early to Peterborough, and then a couple of players used to skip off training. Those two players have only just comeback into the side. Obviously DF has turned a blind eye. T
ladybr00kjohn
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Wed May 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Its all well and good people throwing mud at Evans but his record, both here and at other clubs, is undeniable.

Yes he left us high and dry and his methods are questionable but he did a good job for us.

The comments on Flitcroft are hard to understand. If the players liked what he was doing, why were they / we so bad. It doesn't all add up.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Jamie wrote:Its all well and good people throwing mud at Evans but his record, both here and at other clubs, is undeniable.

Yes he left us high and dry and his methods are questionable but he did a good job for us.

The comments on Flitcroft are hard to understand. If the players liked what he was doing, why were they / we so bad. It doesn't all add up.

in my opinion, mainly because they were adjusting to a different style of play (I quoted some players on this in my report of the Port Vale game where I discussed where has it all gone wrong). It was in my opinion stupid to attempt this with 12 games of the season to go.

And possibly we can add to that changing the training methods as well, given Flitcroft's recent comments about fitness. Again, if so, it was stupid to change this at the time in my opinion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:40 pm

As i posted in another thread:

I think the issue was the type of fitness Flitcroft requires.

Evans training sessions where short (few hours max) intensive training, Flitcroft seems to have changed these to much longer sessions so therefore requires more of an endurance fitness which the team wouldn't have had hence the drop in form immediately as he came in.

In essence its like asking a 100m sprinter to start doing marathons over night the body can't cope with the change and takes time to adapt.

Long term yes it would benefit but it was implemented to late in the season when nothing needed to change and i believe is a major factor in why form nosedived.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 09, 2018 8:41 pm

This might explain why the fitness trainer left shortly after SE walked.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Jamie wrote:Its all well and good people throwing mud at Evans but his record, both here and at other clubs, is undeniable.

Perhaps they weren't fit enough to do what DF wanted them to do Jamie.

You amaze me, someone posts something positive about DF but you still have to have a dig. Not only that you then praise SE. Unbelievable !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed May 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Of course Evans had to go home at dinner time

He'd been out of the house at 7:30 am and driven all that way.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed May 09, 2018 11:19 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Perhaps they weren't fit enough to do what DF wanted them to do Jamie.

You amaze me, someone posts something positive about DF but you still have to have a dig. Not only that you then praise SE. Unbelievable !

It was a dig at players if anyone.

Maybe you're right and they weren't fit. You can understand any manager wanting to change that, but it clearly didn't work yet Evans takes the blame.

Hopefully his approach with a full pre season will work.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Thu May 10, 2018 12:07 am

Hand on heart it wont without a squad full of 18 year olds. Not many experienced players will be able to cope with being pushed over the limit to achieve his perfect fitness levels so that's why injuries go through the roof. Its not rocket science but his blinkered ego sees it no other way. Its his way or not at all. All players have different maximum fitness levels no two are the same. I have took many a bleep test running up and down a tennis court and turning and running quicker and quicker to test aerobic fitness. Some people just achieve a better time than others but it does not mean they are fitter overall. Its just part of a system of tests when combined give an indication of fitness levels. some have a poor bleep test and score higher on other things. Running is not just a measure of overall fitness levels.
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum