{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

John Radford's speech at end of season dinner

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: John Radford's speech at end of season dinner

Postby Dave C » Tue May 08, 2018 7:16 pm

But I feel sure that the Swindon lads might find that a tad arrogant Martin?
If you would listen to more bull-shit before you walk out, then more fool you.
Dave C
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 08, 2018 7:39 pm

I'd imagine they're too busy wondering whether replacing a manager who got 57 points from 35 games with one who got 11 points from 10 games was such a good thing after all. From what I gather, they do think that. I'm just hoping the new manager doesn't like Matt Taylor!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Swindon fans just sound like idiots, they hated Flitcroft despite him getting them near the play offs (just after being relegated). I've heard.many of them on Facebook say they're too good for league two, obviously not and all the other reasons that make them sound like loooun fans (who also said they'd won the league at Christmas)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave C » Tue May 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Well, if one of Swindon's great and good came on here giving us the benefit of their opinion based on having watched two home games, then the livelier resident posters would have a field day would they not.
Dave C
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 08, 2018 8:40 pm

475 664 2000
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:475 664 2000

Please stop the nonsense posts .
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:12 pm

The One wrote:

He'll never post again!!!
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
The One wrote:

He'll never post again!!!

Fingers crossed !
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 am

Irrespective of what's been said, i'm confident that Swindon fans would know more about his time at Swindon managing their club over games they attended than any of us.

It's not exactly like DF has done anything here to contradict what they've said
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 am

From what I saw of Swindon this season, they were a side who tried to keep the ball down and play football. They were certainly not a long ball side like Wycombe, Notts County and Lincoln.

If you were putting forward an argument for David Flitcroft at Swindon then you would say Swindon were in free fall and he had to come in and build a new squad quickly to try and stabilise them. They were in the hunt for the play offs most of the season and they were never in danger of dropping down further unlike the non-league team across the other side of the M1 It's arguably given them a platform to build on next season. If David Flitcroft had inherited a similar situation at the Stags then I think more fans would be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Instead he inherited a great position and totally messed it up.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 09, 2018 10:33 am

adamstag wrote:Irrespective of what's been said, i'm confident that Swindon fans would know more about his time at Swindon managing their club over games they attended than any of us.

It's not exactly like DF has done anything here to contradict what they've said

Really?

According to the Swindon fans quoted: "The football has been horrendous to watch"
"Honestly, guys he’s a bang it down the channels, hoof it from the back manager"

Is that what you've seen Mansfield play?

What I've seen is Mansfield trying to almost walk the ball into the net (it probably only worked for about two goals in 12 games, at Stevenage and Chesterfield). And changing the style from what Steve Evans played has been disastrous, because it can't be done successfully overnight. It was a stupid thing for David Flitcroft to attempt with 12 games to go, and we've paid the price by ending the season missing out on the play-offs.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dave C » Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 pm

If DF has only one style, then he was the wrong appointment for this season.

The Swindon fans said he would stick with his favourites, be inflexible and divide the fans. Not wrong there were they.

With the right goal scorers next season, it could be good. But there again, how many teams are saying that.
Dave C
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 09, 2018 4:26 pm

I did post a reply to Martin, but it's been deleted (not stating it was him obviously).

It was here until about an hour ago, how interesting
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 09, 2018 5:01 pm

adamstag wrote:I did post a reply to Martin, but it's been deleted (not stating it was him obviously).

I checked the moderator log. No post by anyone has been deleted today.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Dave C wrote:If DF has only one style, then he was the wrong appointment for this season.

The Swindon fans said he would stick with his favourites, be inflexible and divide the fans. Not wrong there were they.

With the right goal scorers next season, it could be good. But there again, how many teams are saying that.

Bit early to say on the first one. If the second one means he has to play with his style of football, rather than follow someone else's style then I'd agree. And the last one has certainly been achieved.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
adamstag wrote:I did post a reply to Martin, but it's been deleted (not stating it was him obviously).

I checked the moderator log. No post by anyone has been deleted today.

I searched all your posts and found you posted this in another thread. I assume it's what you are referring to...

Subject: Coventry v Morecambe...

adamstag wrote:I refer more to "we concede goals time and again down the wings" "our defending at home is often abysmal, they can walk the ball into the net at times" "our record at home is dreadful" - those types of comments. Swindon fans will see things differently like seemingly some of our fans do.

They also noted that he had a tendency to drop really deep un-necessarily at the death and concede soft equalisers.

I've seen him employ the long ball regularly as well as passing it (the latter more so against Port Vale and Crawley).

Maybe we might have forwards who want to play for him/score goals - can't see DR being here next season for a start given his past with DF and his form of late

no argument with the "our record at home is dreadful" type of comment - that is obvious, we haven't won at home.

no argument with "They also noted that he had a tendency to drop really deep un-necessarily at the death and concede soft equalisers." - again agree with that, I wrote about that extensively for the Port Vale game.

You wrote: "I've seen him employ the long ball regularly as well as passing it (the latter more so against Port Vale and Crawley)."
Well yes of course playing a passing game doesn't mean you never smack it long, particularly from the goalkeeper. What I mean by playing a long ball or hoofball game, is the style employed by Lincoln and Wycombe this season. This is where the primary tactic is to launch balls into the box to a Matt Rhead or Akinfenwa character. I watched Lincoln employ this superbly against Coventry a couple of weeks ago and Coventry couldn't handle it. Similarly I watched Wycombe at Crawley a few weeks ago and again Crawley couldn't handle it. So I'm talking about the primary tactic. That doesn't mean the keeper never launches it forward.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Martin,’I thought I was going mad. Thanks for that.

I actually often thought we’d have worked very well with a big man this season, poor Danny having to win headers when he’s like 5ft 9 when we’ve played the long ball often.

From what I understand of flitcroft he likes to have a big man uptop, I wonder what the odds are of akinde coming here now Barnet have gone down. Players like hemmings and rose would fare much better with a lad like him both winning headers and distracting defenders
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave C » Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 pm

So we have some agreement on the thoughts of the Swindon fans.

And agreement that DF was the wrong appointment for this season as his style would be so different to SFs?

The buck has to stop with the chairman. Does he ever listen to anyone with a bit of football knowledge? Lets face it, he has owned the thing since 2010.
Dave C
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Dave C wrote:So we have some agreement on the thoughts of the Swindon fans.

And agreement that DF was the wrong appointment for this season as his style would be so different to SFs?

The buck has to stop with the chairman. Does he ever listen to anyone with a bit of football knowledge? Lets face it, he has owned the thing since 2010.

we wouldn't have been promoted from the conference if it wasn't for Radford and cox
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave C » Wed May 09, 2018 6:53 pm

True. But for how long should we live off that?
Dave C
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Dave C wrote:True. But for how long should we live off that?

are you seriously questioning JR? He saved our club from extinction, got us back into the league, almost got us into league two play offs, has forked out for an amazing new training facility, has sorted our youth team out and got the club in a very good position.

I doubt there's many chairmen at our level who do as much as JR does
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed May 09, 2018 7:47 pm

What an absolutely ridiculous comment.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby dave E stag » Wed May 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Stags Net plumbs to new depths...this has to be a wind up...if not OMG
dave E stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 pm

dave E stag wrote:

Stags Net plumbs to new depths...this has to be a wind up...if not OMG

Agreed. Whereas the board should always be open to question here and at every other club, if Dave c wishes to see what things were like before he was involved maybe he could message Steve hyenas who helped to keep the club running, or when we didn’t have a youth academy, or where we had to close sections of the ground.

Should he wish to go any further back and he should visit bobs board - they’re going through what we were under haslam. It’s beggars belief
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Steve North » Wed May 09, 2018 8:52 pm

That's up to your usual standard of thinking Crouchie. Utter nonsense.
Steve North
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum