{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Re: Portugal - change of venue,opponent and time

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Re: Portugal - change of venue,opponent and time

Postby Stockportstag » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Scottish clubs, and Lorraine Kelly, loathe the English. Didn't want to be beaten again, or Nicola Sturgeon would have claimed another bloody foul.
Nothing worse than a tearful, damp haggis.
Stockportstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Forever Optimistic » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:11 am

I've seen all the videos and photos but what's just struck me is.... Where is Lee Angol? May be wrong but I've not seen him on any. Has he travelled? Even the injured have gone
Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:59 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:19 am

Forever Optimistic wrote:I've seen all the videos and photos but what's just struck me is.... Where is Lee Angol? May be wrong but I've not seen him on any. Has he travelled? Even the injured have gone

Angol has been on several photos and videos. His squad number this season is 94.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:02 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:36 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::)

Thought Rose was just carrying a small knock? He's been doing full rehabilitation work with Mirfin.
Stag95
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:10 am

It's just a ploy to put off Coventry, they don't want to sign an injured crock do they? :lol: :lol:
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:32 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Forever Optimistic wrote:I've seen all the videos and photos but what's just struck me is.... Where is Lee Angol? May be wrong but I've not seen him on any. Has he travelled? Even the injured have gone

Angol has been on several photos and videos. His squad number this season is 94.

Thanks Martin, good to hear
Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 am

Are the lads due back today?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Are the lads due back today?

yes, flight from Faro today.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:36 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Are the lads due back today?

yes, flight from Faro today.

Just chatted with Mal Benning at Faro Airport. Told me he enjoyed the game on Saturday and noted how good the opposition were. Said he can't wait for the season to start. I asked him about the away pre-season friendlies, he told me he didn't know if he was playing in any of them, he only knew about the home friendlies.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks Martin. Interesting that we played 3-5-2 in both halves on Saturday. Not sure we have the centre back options for that to be sustainable.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:03 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Thanks Martin. Interesting that we played 3-5-2 in both halves on Saturday. Not sure we have the centre back options for that to be sustainable.

I think the Southgate way is going to be quite fashionable this season. If you have two good wing backs, which I think we do in Mal and Hayden, then it is a very strong formation, one I have always liked. It means you can have that "luxury" player in the centre which you can't normally have when just playing 2 in the middle. It also easily reverts to 3-4-3 when you need to go for it and 5-3-2 when trying to kill the game.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:12 am

just got an update on preseason games, which the club will announce shortly.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Thanks Martin. Interesting that we played 3-5-2 in both halves on Saturday. Not sure we have the centre back options for that to be sustainable.

I think the Southgate way is going to be quite fashionable this season. If you have two good wing backs, which I think we do in Mal and Hayden, then it is a very strong formation, one I have always liked. It means you can have that "luxury" player in the centre which you can't normally have when just playing 2 in the middle. It also easily reverts to 3-4-3 when you need to go for it and 5-3-2 when trying to kill the game.

Agreed but it also doesn't allow for wingers to play (unless you play them at wing back, or play the wing backs at centre back like Kyle Walker) and we only have two CB's at present, 3 if Cameron signs. We need at the very least four if that's the way we're going to play all season. It's also not the Southgate way, it's the Conte way.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:34 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Agreed but it also doesn't allow for wingers to play (unless you play them at wing back, or play the wing backs at centre back like Kyle Walker) and we only have two CB's at present, 3 if Cameron signs. We need at the very least four if that's the way we're going to play all season. It's also not the Southgate way, it's the Conte way.

I think the 3 centre backs goes back much, much further than Conte!

I do agree that if Diamond leaves, which looks inevitable, we would need at least one more if we are going to adopt this style.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:34 am

here it is, Bradford Park Ave on Thursday night is a first team fixture

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018 ... -portugal/
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

I think the 3 centre backs goes back much, much further than Conte!

I do agree that if Diamond leaves, which looks inevitable, we would need at least one more if we are going to adopt this style.

Well yes but the point is it's not Southgate, and Steve Holland who work with Conte at Chelsea has been heralded as the mastermind behind it, which would suggest he picked up most of his ideas from Conte.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Forever Optimistic wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Thanks Martin, good to hear

Didn't recognise him at the game on Saturday until my Mrs pointed him out warming up for the 2nd half. He's had his hair cut quite a bit shorter.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum