{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report (now with my average player ratings)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report (now with my average player ratings)

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 05, 2018 10:45 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sat May 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Your summary was spot on Martin...

Ignoring the first half I thought MOM was Maccas....CJ was terrifying 2nd half plus that race back with their winger (?)

Just saying ;)

Missed opportunities as you say but over the season too many draws where if only we could have converted 2 or 3 (surely) into wins we would be up there.

Did feel a tear welling up at the end for the Radfords.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby stag861 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:53 pm

I agree with your level headed comments, Martin. It's down to the Radfords for the way forward and whatever their decision I will be there next season.
stag861
First Team
First Team

Postby MOTG » Sun May 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Another good report and couldn't agree more re your comments.
MOTG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Spot on Martin. And thanks for all your reports throughout the season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 pm

my player ratings are now on (ridiculously late)
http://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewr ... atchid=926
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 11, 2018 10:36 pm

and here is my average player ratings - pasted here and in the Crawley report:

FOOTNOTE: PLAYER OF THE SEASON
Following this final game of the season, these are my average player ratings based on the 55 league+cup games this season (top 9 players):

Mellis 6.94, MacDonald 6.89, Potter 6.83, Diamond 6.83, Hamilton 6.82, Benning 6.77, Logan 6.75, Pearce 6.73, Rose 6.73.

Note: only ratings for players starting a game are included - ie. sub appearances not included.
Minimum appearances: 15.

Comment:

Mellis 6.94
Mellis started fewer than half of Mansfield’s games this season (27 out of the 55 games played). He was consistent in that he had a rating higher than 6 in 21 of his 27 games started.
MacDonald 6.89
MacDonald was been a player who covered every blade of grass on the pitch. His form tailed off after Evans left (he was not alone in that), but he returned to form in the last few games of the season. His goal return of just 3, including the memorable one away to Coventry, was disappointing, while his set pieces were also disappointing. From open play, he was very good.
Potter 6.83
It may be a bit of a surprise to see Potter towards the top of the list (he’s also at the top of the list for fans’ average ratings, see below). However he only started 20 games out of the 55 played this season, and of those 20 games, Mansfield won 12. That suggests he should have started more.
Diamond 6.83
Diamond, the club captain, also started fewer than half of Mansfield’s games this season (21 out of the 55 games played). Had a stinker at home to Crewe (he wasn’t alone) when he was subbed early but otherwise was good in the games he’s played.
Hamilton 6.82
Hamilton came on leaps and bounds this season, creating shed-loads of chances from his pacey runs down the left. Still room for improvement in his final product, but it got so much better this season. I still believe he may earn the club a lot of money one day and I’ll be looking for my cut :-)
Benning 6.77
Benning lost his place during the season a couple of times to Hunt, but was mostly consistent and ended the season in top form, with a memorable winner at Chesterfield.
Logan 6.75
Logan saved Mansfield on many occasions this season with fabulous saves. Kicking was excellent too. Some costly errors started to creep into his game towards the end of the season.
Pearce 6.73
Pearce was commanding in the air and good on the floor and a rock in central defence. Like his central defensive partner Bennett, his goal return of just 2 for the season was disappointing.
Rose 6.73
Rose was the top scorer with 17 league and cup goals, but his season stalled after Evans left, not scoring under Flitcroft. Good in the air, with lots of goals from headers and with both feet too.

As an interesting aside, my average player ratings just for the 43 league+cup games played under Steve Evans were (top 9 players):
Potter 7.19, MacDonald 7.15, Mellis 7.00, Diamond 7.00, Rose 6.97, Hamilton 6.92, Pearce 6.85, Benning 6.83, Logan 6.81.

Thanks to Pete Wright for his spreadsheet.

On the Stagsnet messageboard, throughout the season, fans have been giving their player ratings for each game. Eggy has been working hard to collect this data and Pete Wright has summarised. Up to the Luton away game, the top 4 players were: Potter 7.30, MacDonald 7.12, Pearce 7.06, Diamond 7.05.
Many thanks to Eggy and Pete for their hard work on this, and to all the fans who have entered their ratings. This data will be updated by Pete and Eggy shortly as we reach the end of the season.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Mellis gets your highest average mark, for me he was just above useless and I would definitely have listed him this summer. Looks a good player, delivers virtually nothing on a regular basis. Pearce was by far our most consistent performer and our best player this season, again.

However, as much as I disagree with you at times, your dedication and time spent on Stagsnet and covering MTFC are truly remarkable, you are an absolute credit to our club in every single way - and always have been. Thank you.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Re: Stagsnet report (now with my average player ratings)

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 11, 2018 10:58 pm

there would be an argument for excluding those players who started fewer than half of the games (which would be Mellis, Potter and Diamond). I decided to include them.

You'd be left with the top six players as MacDonald, Hamilton, Benning, Logan, Pearce, Rose. Those six picked up all the player of the season awards between them and deservedly so.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 am

are there any new faces you'd like to see here next season Martin?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:28 am

[quote="Rob"]Mellis gets your highest average mark, for me he was just above useless and I would definitely have listed him this summer. Looks a good player, delivers virtually nothing on a regular basis.

Agree 100%
stagone1959
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Sat May 12, 2018 8:47 am

Rob wrote:Mellis gets your highest average mark, for me he was just above useless and I would definitely have listed him this summer. Looks a good player, delivers virtually nothing on a regular basis. Pearce was by far our most consistent performer and our best player this season, again.

However, as much as I disagree with you at times, your dedication and time spent on Stagsnet and covering MTFC are truly remarkable, you are an absolute credit to our club in every single way - and always have been. Thank you.

I agree exactly with what Rob says there (for a change!). I quite like Mellis as a ball player but there's more to the game than just that. I get the feeling that he finds League 2 hurly-burly stuff a bit beneath his dignity.

Pearce has had his bad moments but has probably been the pick of the bunch. A word for Hemmings too, who has kept working hard throughout, never shirked, and started to score a bit more regularly later on. Shame he's not got that cool head in front of goal, but then only Rose has shown signs of that talent and even then only fitfully.

Also, note that Flitcroft specifically mentioned the excessive number of draws when he took over (in a Mansfield 103.2 interview) and said that he'd made changes to correct that. It led to exactly half the games he oversaw ending in 1-1 draws (the other six being mostly losses). When people complain that we haven't given him much of a chance, it's this type of thing that has riled us (as well as the astonishing decision to make crucial changes just as we were at a critical point in the season). He just hasn't shown that he can get the players to do what he wants them to.

Of course this is all history now and given a conventional pre-season and season start, he may get the team back on track. I hope that by October we're all on his side.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 am

What was Bennett's average rating Martin?

I like Mellis and think he will thrive with higher quality wingers and a striker with a brain.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 12, 2018 9:09 am

MTFCMusings wrote:What was Bennett's average rating Martin?

I like Mellis and think he will thrive with higher quality wingers and a striker with a brain.

Bennett 6.58
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat May 12, 2018 9:24 am

MTFCMusings wrote:What was Bennett's average rating Martin?

Big season for Mellis coming up Muso. A career defining one I'd wager.

Does he want to play an integral role in a successful, producing side; or does he want a career that fades effortlessly in to obscurity?

He has the ability to be the star performer in League 2. He should be a player that a League 2 side is built around. But it'll come down to personal desire, belief and pride.

Come 2019 he'll either be driving us in to League 1 or preparing for life in one way trip to the Conference.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 am

So Bennett not the be all and end all hey.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat May 12, 2018 10:48 am

Here are Martin's scores for the worst performers who started at least a dozen games

Butcher 5.79
Angol 6.24
Atkinson 6.39
White 6.47
Hunt 6.52

I would imagine the surprise in that list is White. Shame on you Martin :lol: :lol:
We might win against Accrington next time, if we ever play them again.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat May 12, 2018 10:55 am

part time pete wrote:Here are Martin's scores for the worst performers who started at least a dozen games

Butcher 5.79
Angol 6.24
Atkinson 6.39
White 6.47
Hunt 6.52

I would imagine the surprise in that list is White. Shame on you Martin :lol: :lol:

However looking at the Fan's average score, a remarkable similar result with White in the list, so everyone knows better than me. :oops: :oops:

Butcher 5.97
Angol 6.24
Atkinson 6.29
Hunt 6.41
White 6.43

Overall Martin's average was 6.67 pts per player whereas the fans average score was 6.75pts.
part time pete

Postby part time pete » Sat May 12, 2018 11:05 am

Here are the Fans top twelve who started at least a dozen games out of a total of 55 games

Pearce 7.05 (42 games)
MacDonald 7.04 (45)
Potter 7.02 (20)
Diamond 6.97 (21)
Anderson 6.95 (30)
Rose 6.91 (38)
Hamilton 6.87 (33)
Bennett 6.86 (39)
Murfin 6.83 (14)
Benning 6.82 (33)
Mellis (6.81) (27)
Hemmings 6.79 (38)

Not a surprise that Mellis is down the list, but Potter and Anderson seem to be fans' favourites
part time pete

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 12, 2018 11:24 am

it is worth noting that the difference of 6.94 to 6.81 is not very big Pete.

There is remarkably little difference overall I would say.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat May 12, 2018 11:48 am

We should have kept Potter. Is there better at this level that anyone knows we have a realistic chance of getting?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat May 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Best and worse starting eleven performances (average points per player starting game) with really no surprises

Port Vale (A) 7.91
Newport (H) 7.91
Luton (H) 7.64
Exeter (A) 7.55

Crewe (H) 5.09
Swindon (H) 5.23
Forest Green (A) 5.50
Cheltenham (A) 5.55
part time pete

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat May 12, 2018 12:13 pm

I'd agree with keeping Potter and both Diamond and Anderson. I think all would have contributed better if given more opportunity.

Letting those three and Bennett go is a mistake in my eyes.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 12, 2018 2:31 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I'd agree with keeping Potter and both Diamond and Anderson. I think all would have contributed better if given more opportunity.

Agree with your previous point about Mellis. He's sort of an upgraded version of Chris Clements. He has to play when we are expected to dominate the ball but I wouldn't fancy him in a battle.

I don't get the love for Anderson, he's one of our highest paid players (if not the highest) and has contributed very little in goals and assists (which is why he was signed, not to be a semi-reliable right back). If he wants to stay and take a pay cut then fair enough, otherwise he has to be moved on (which will be difficult).
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 13, 2018 11:14 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I'd agree with keeping Potter and both Diamond and Anderson. I think all would have contributed better if given more opportunity.

Don't agree Doomy, those three are not good enough if we want top 3 and played a part in a miserable season that began with such high hopes, we need better, we need younger and we need hungrier. Bennett was the only one I thought should have stayed, the rest can go and I would have let a few more go too.

Pace is an absolute must, this is why I rate CJ so highly and do not rate some of the others. The best sides I have seen at our level had pace, particularly out wide, the very best side I have seen in the last couple of decades was the Donkey Rovers side, just murdered teams with their pace and fast tempo. It's what Evans was supposed to bring, instead he brought fatness.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum