{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lee Angol

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lee Angol

Postby SINA STAG » Wed May 09, 2018 8:20 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Hemmings is a 20 goal a season striker - not a hold up player.
Unfortunately not this season.

He scored 15 in half a season.

Half a season? He played nearly every game.

Compared to Dennis playing in a rubbish side I know who i would choose every time over all our strikers
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 am

SINA STAG wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Compared to Dennis playing in a rubbish side I know who i would choose every time over all our strikers

From the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two/top-scorers, League games only;

Kristian Dennis (Chesterfield): 182 minutes per goal - 3451 minutes played - 19 Goals scored - 2 Assists
Kane Hemmings: 196 minutes per goal - 2943 minutes played - 15 Goals scored - 1 Assists
Danny Rose: 215 minutes per goal - 3006 minutes played - 14 Goals scored - 2 Assists

Selected others:

Billy Kee (Accrington): 161 minutes per goal - 4032 minutes played - 25 Goals scored - 8 Assists
Danny Hylton (Luton): 148 minutes per goal - 3103 minutes played - 21 Goals scored - 4 Assists
Mohamed Eisa (Cheltenham): 163 minutes per goal - 3757 minutes played - 23 Goals scored - 5 Assists
Marc McNulty (Coventry): 149 minutes per goal - 3435 minutes played - 23 Goals scored - 6 Assists
Matt Green (Lincoln): 278 minutes per goal - 3620 minutes played - 13 Goals scored - 2 Assists

Hemmings has finished with a surprisingly good record, even though he missed many excellent chances over the season. I guess that this shows how he gets in good positions and even though he doesn't get decent shots in very often he gets enough. Certainly he's shown that he's a reasonable striker at this level, even if not quite up to Hylton level. Akinfenwa has a remarkable record of getting shots in, even if most of them don't find the net.
If I had to buy a striker from this league based on this season's stats alone I'd probably go for Eisa. 113 shots, 60% on target means he's prepared to take responsiblity and strike when given a chance. 5 assists is good too, from someone in that position. Hylton only got 85 shots away, Hemmings and Rose both on 74.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 am

spainmick wrote:What are the goals per game ratio of all the strikers ?

This shows who the better strikers were this season

https://experimental361.com/2018/05/06/ ... 2-2017-18/

Very little difference between Hemmings, Rose and Angol, so all not good enough.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 09, 2018 11:32 am

If Hemmings could finish, the lad would be lethal! get him on some shooting practice to keep him!

I've heard from a few that he was on £6k at Oxford (please someone correct if not accurate) - and we were paying half his wages - he'd be worth maybe £1k a week, or maybe 1.5 but no more, surely £6k was too much?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed May 09, 2018 11:46 am

I remember before Christmas Rose had one of the best goals/minute ratio in the EFL.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 09, 2018 11:51 am

Conker wrote:I remember before Christmas Rose had one of the best goals/minute ratio in the EFL.

I think most players did under Evans. We averaged 1.51 goals per game under Evans with a GD of 18. We then went to 1.16 goals per game with a GD of -3 after he left. So basically over a season it's a difference from 70 goals down to 53 but with the same players.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 09, 2018 4:31 pm

He's up there with the most frustrating players I've ever seen.
He has all the attributes to be a top top player.
Pace ,strength, height ,good in the air and a cool finisher.
He just lacks that one thing you cannot teach....
Desire
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed May 09, 2018 7:12 pm

League and FA cup- Lee Angol has 9 goals in 1562 minutes at 174 minutes per goal.Danny Rose 17 goals at 192 minutes per goal
If you take out penalties from the stats Billy Kee scores every 224 minutes, Lee Angol 223, Kristian Dennis 220, Kane Hemmings 210 and Danny Hylton 194. Danny Rose remains the same 192
Of our players Lee Angol has a much higher % of shots on target at 63 (KH 55;DR 48)
As ever you have to be careful with stats as they don’t show the full story ( e.g. a shot on target could be a brilliant shot into the top corner whether it is a goal or saved, or it could be a pea roller straight at the keeper)
halifaxstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby halifaxstag » Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

He made 37 league and 2 FA Cup appearances although only played 65% of available minutes due to either being subbed or being a sub.
Danny Rose played 72% of minutes and Lee Angol just 35%.
Would any of them scored 20+ goals with more game time. Difficult to say, Kane was not fully fit for a big chunk of the first half of the season but fully fit would easily have got 20. I suspect Lee Angol would have scaled up to at least 15 and maybe as many as 25. Danny had a poor end to season maybe due to carrying an injury which probably prevented him getting to the 20 goal mark.
Of course we would only normally have 2 strikers starting so also hypothetical.
halifaxstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Wed May 09, 2018 9:30 pm

At various times this season (mainly in the early stages) people said that Rose, Angol & Hemmings were all '20 goalers'.
The fact is that none of them has scored that many goals and they all fell well short of that total. None of them are quite in the same class as the more likely 20 goalers: Danny Hylton, Billy Kee, McNulty, Akinfenwa etc.
Whilst our strikers have performed quite well, their finishing hasn't been quite good enough, and they haven't fashioned enough chances for themselves.
As for Lee Angol .... he has some qualities - but I don't think that he will be the one to fire us to promotion, or even hold down a regular place in the side.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby whipster221073 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:37 pm

adamstag wrote:If Hemmings could finish, the lad would be lethal! get him on some shooting practice to keep him!

I've heard from a few that he was on £6k at Oxford (please someone correct if not accurate) - and we were paying half his wages - he'd be worth maybe £1k a week, or maybe 1.5 but no more, surely £6k was too much?

Worth £1k per week :lol: :lol:

You wont get a reserve striker for that next season.
MTFC not AFC
whipster221073
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Midfield has generally been rubbish and whilst we do need a couple of new strikers, Rose and Hemmings are definitely ones to keep. 30 goals with that midfield and a generally negative style of play is decent.

Angol not done enough, Miller wasn't picked by either Evans or DF so I wouldn't waste money on him either. Spencer will move on.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 09, 2018 10:27 pm

whipster221073 wrote:
adamstag wrote:If Hemmings could finish, the lad would be lethal! get him on some shooting practice to keep him!

Worth £1k per week :lol: :lol:

You wont get a reserve striker for that next season.

:lol: :lol: ?

Accrington’s average player was well under £1k a week. They won the league.

Not easy no, but doable
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Wed May 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Angol could well end up our only striker left from the 17/18 season on the books by xmas
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am

Rob wrote:Midfield has generally been rubbish and whilst we do need a couple of new strikers, Rose and Hemmings are definitely ones to keep. 30 goals with that midfield and a generally negative style of play is decent.

Angol not done enough, Miller wasn't picked by either Evans or DF so I wouldn't waste money on him either. Spencer will move on.

I thought that Miller was looking good before his injury, certainly has an eye for goal and a determination that Angol doesn't show. Both Evans and Flitcroft seem to rate him, although he hasn't played much yet as he clearly wasn't match fit at first and then got injured. I've never seen Spencer show anything worthwhile; despite people on here saying he's good, my heart sinks when he's brought on as it means we've given up trying to score.

Angol seems to have the ability but to me looks uncommitted, waiting for a good chance to drop rather than having a go at half chances. I don't like the way he pretends to go up for headers but never really attempts to win one if there's any chance that it'll be contested.

As we know, there have been loads of chances created from midfield all season but it's the finishing that's been the problem. I'd love to see a compilation of our strikers attempts through the season on full-on gilt-edged opportunities as I get the impression that we've had a remarkable knack for fluffing them.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby ladybr00kjohn » Sun May 13, 2018 9:11 pm

ALONG WITH MELLIS THEY BOTH SHOULD BE PLACED ON THE TRANSFER LIST. THEY RUN AROUND LIKE HEADLESS CHICKENS.
ladybr00kjohn
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 13, 2018 9:13 pm

ladybr00kjohn wrote:ALONG WITH MELLIS THEY BOTH SHOULD BE PLACED ON THE TRANSFER LIST. THEY RUN AROUND LIKE HEADLESS CHICKENS.

Ok.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:Midfield has generally been rubbish and whilst we do need a couple of new strikers, Rose and Hemmings are definitely ones to keep. 30 goals with that midfield and a generally negative style of play is decent.

I thought that Miller was looking good before his injury, certainly has an eye for goal and a determination that Angol doesn't show. Both Evans and Flitcroft seem to rate him, although he hasn't played much yet as he clearly wasn't match fit at first and then got injured. I've never seen Spencer show anything worthwhile; despite people on here saying he's good, my heart sinks when he's brought on as it means we've given up trying to score.

Angol seems to have the ability but to me looks uncommitted, waiting for a good chance to drop rather than having a go at half chances. I don't like the way he pretends to go up for headers but never really attempts to win one if there's any chance that it'll be contested.

As we know, there have been loads of chances created from midfield all season but it's the finishing that's been the problem. I'd love to see a compilation of our strikers attempts through the season on full-on gilt-edged opportunities as I get the impression that we've had a remarkable knack for fluffing them.

...that's about right Bradders....as 'they' say a good post...
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby ParisStag » Sun May 13, 2018 11:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

What I meant was that he scored his 15 goals in half of the season, which actually isn't accurate. He got 10 of his 15 after Christmas. He took a while to settle in and didn't look like scoring for ages for whatever reason. After he found his feet, he looked every part the 20 goal a season striker.

If we sign him and have him fit from the beginning of the season, he'll be that 20 goal man.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 am

That’s the point I was making. I think he has all the attributes to be a top striker at this level
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 14, 2018 6:47 am

yorkstag wrote:That’s the point I was making. I think he has all the attributes to be a top striker at this level

fact is Angol will always be the bridesmaid & never the bride, by missing out on his top three strikers last season fat man had to settle for nearly men, & therefore we never got our 20 goals a season man, flip flops choice of striker to bring him will make or break him.

Heard Collins at LUscum may be transfer listed could fit the bill
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 14, 2018 10:33 am

Collins, Dennis and Akinde have now become realistic targets. The likes of Eisa and Doidge will be out of our reach, but I don't necessarily think they're better than the other three. If we signed one of those first three, I'd be happy.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon May 14, 2018 10:44 am

We definataly need someone of slightly higher quality than the 3 we currently have.
I have doubts that any of Rose, Hemmings or Angol will hit 20 goals a season and we are certainly going to need that, unless our midfield miraculously wakes up and maybe starts to contribute a lot more in that department.
If I'd got to pick one of the 3 that , given the same game time, would score the most in a season, I would say it would be Angol. Doesn't make him a better player though.
victor A block
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PRL13 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:46 am

Simply not good enough!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 14, 2018 2:24 pm

victor A block wrote:We definataly need someone of slightly higher quality than the 3 we currently have.
I have doubts that any of Rose, Hemmings or Angol will hit 20 goals a season and we are certainly going to need that, unless our midfield miraculously wakes up and maybe starts to contribute a lot more in that department.
If I'd got to pick one of the 3 that , given the same game time, would score the most in a season, I would say it would be Angol. Doesn't make him a better player though.

Angol has looked bad a times, but he's still got 10 goals while not having much of a run of starts all season. With a regular place, he could get 20 over a season.
We all know Rose can be a 20 goal striker, he just had a slump, but the potential is there.
Hemmings, if fit for a whole season and without the need to gel now, will definitely get 20.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum