{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retford United (now owned by One Call Trust)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Retford United (now owned by One Call Trust)

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri May 04, 2018 12:43 am

JR and his Managing Director at One Call, Nick Springthorpe, have taken over Retford United. They have purchased the ground from Paul Dixon (local businessman and the father of JR's racehorse trainer, Scott Dixon) and it is now owned by the One Call Trust.

At the Stags Fans United Fans Forum in September, JR said Paul Dixon was the man who sold him the scoreboard in a pub. :lol: Retford United finished 6th in the Northern Premier League in 2010 under Peter Duffield and lost the Northern Premier League Cup Final to Boston United. They have since been slipping down the football pyramid due to financial irregularities. It was said at one time they owed HMRC over £200,000 due to non payment of income tax, national insurance contributions and VAT. They took a voluntary two step demotion in 2011. They then won the NCEL Premier under Brett Marshall but could not be promoted due to the financial irregularities. Retford United were relegated from Step 5 (NCEL Premier) in 2017 and were relegated again from Step 6 this season (NCEL Division 1). They will start next season at Step 7 in the Lincs League or Central Midlands League. Locals were looking forward next season to a local derby with Retford FC who formed in 2015 and originally played at Retford United's ground before moving to their own ground at Retford Rail. No doubt JR may use this opportunity to introduce some of the Mansfield Town Development players to mens' football and/or he is just doing his bit to help out one of his local clubs. The deal does leave Retford United totally debt free which it probably has not been for the last 10-15 years going back to when Dean Vivian bought the club.

RETFORD UNITED CLUB STATEMENT
Retford United FC can officially announce that the club are under new ownership following the sale of the ground from Paul Dixon to a trust set up by John Radford & the One Call Group. The deal leaves the club totally debt free & effectively gives the ground back to Retford United Fc. Managing Director of One Call, Nik Springthorpe will assume financial control of the club for the One Call Trust & work alongside current Chairman Simon Brammer to bring about the restructuring of the club & oversee the much needed investment the One Call Group intends to supply. The Club will be holding a meeting on Thursday 10th May 6.30pm at Cannon Park to outline the new structure & the clubs plans going forward. Fans will have a chance to have their say & we invite members of the general public, representatives of the Junior section & members of the supporters club along as we unveil the most important news in the clubs 30 year history.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Fri May 04, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Retford United (now owned by One Call Trust)

Postby SINA STAG » Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 am

Great to read JR is using his money to invest in a local football club
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 04, 2018 7:19 am

ummm first pre season friendly sorted then, looks like Onecall had good pre tax profits again then lol
there was only so many new cars Nik could buy
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri May 04, 2018 8:13 am

Hope Retford turn out better than the scoreboard.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri May 04, 2018 8:50 am

Sounds like we could have done with Paul Dixon when we were trying to offload some of Holdsworths signings. He’d have got us millions.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri May 04, 2018 9:01 am

Fine piece of work by JR, shows his enthusiasm for football hasn't been dented. As mentioned, I'm guessing this venture will be invaluable for getting some of our development players match time, and likewise to spot new talent before it appears on other people's radar
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri May 04, 2018 9:27 am

Scoreboard is awful.There some non-league teams who have better than us.Spireites for example and even Accy.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 am

geoffhill wrote:Scoreboard is awful.There some non-league teams who have better than us.Spireites for example and even Accy.

even Aldershots looked miles better than ours,
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri May 04, 2018 11:19 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Scoreboard is awful.There some non-league teams who have better than us.Spireites for example and even Accy.

even Aldershots looked miles better than ours,

And Roma
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri May 04, 2018 11:44 am

The scoreboard in the Lammas Indoor Bowls Rink at Sutton is better than the one at the Wonk!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm

I just saw this on the NCEL website as I follow my local team on there, Knaresborough Town. Great news that he has helped them out, and another outlet for potential players to go on loan and stay local? We helped Clipstone out earlier in the season with a friendly didn't we? And play some games at Rainworth FC. Good to help out where you can I say, even if some will say it's a tax break or some such other reason.
1970Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Fri May 04, 2018 12:46 pm

[quote="EdwinstoweStag"]The scoreboard in the Lammas Indoor Bowls Rink at Sutton is better than the one at the Wonk!

Yes but can you see it from outer space, like you can ours ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Fri May 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Or be kept warm by it?
Mr Grimsdale
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri May 04, 2018 2:35 pm

The One wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:The scoreboard in the Lammas Indoor Bowls Rink at Sutton is better than the one at the Wonk!

Yes but can you see it from outer space, like you can ours ?

This is true.
T'is all part of a ploy by 'The Men in Black' to fool a potential alien invasion.
The little green men see the brightest thing on the planet and home in on it assuming it's something worth raiding or conquering and end up in Mansfield. They generally feel sorry for us Earthlings at this point and depart leaving a bag of sherbert Flying Saucers where they had landed.
Must be true cos Calstag told me.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dudleys Head » Fri May 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Just seen this. As a Mansfield lad who moved into Retford many years ago can I just add what a shrewd move this is. Well done John.
Dudleys Head
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Fri May 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Retford and Ilkeston will have to play for a cup against each other.
We might win against Accrington next time, if we ever play them again.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat May 05, 2018 4:54 am

part time pete wrote:Retford and Ilkeston will have to play for a cup against each other.

why’s that then Pete?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat May 05, 2018 6:38 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
part time pete wrote:Retford and Ilkeston will have to play for a cup against each other.

why’s that then Pete?

Ilkeston are owned by Alan Hardy
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat May 05, 2018 9:54 am

Notts County have ‘signed’ a 19 yr old full back from Ilkeston. He previously had been released after a two yr apprenticeship at another club that did not honour a promise to offer him a contract (play the other side of the M1 and non league from now on) and then spent a yr at Ilkeston.

If the tie up with Retford, Clipstone etc. can give lads a second chance to get back into professional football, just one local lad a generation will suffice, then I am all for this sort of tie up.
I am Spartacus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Mon May 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Call me selfish, but I would rather JR have spent the money on a promotion-scoring striker for the Stags! ;)

I can't help thinking that Retford Utd. is a waste of money ...... Still, it's JR's money and I am sure that he knows what he's doing. And I am very grateful for all that he does for the Stags.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Surely its another piece of the puzzle, youth title won 3 years on the trot next step test them against men.

2 - 3 years time we will have a production line of talent hopefully walking into the first team.

Retford will also benefit as they get players loaned for next to nothing which hopefully helps them climb a few leagues and makes it more competitive for future youth loaned there.
Stags 2002
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Is there not a law that we can only loan players to a certain step on the non league pyramid.

Not sure if it’s step 4.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon May 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Vice President wrote:Call me selfish, but I would rather JR have spent the money on a promotion-scoring striker for the Stags! ;)

I can't help thinking that Retford Utd. is a waste of money ...... Still, it's JR's money and I am sure that he knows what he's doing. And I am very grateful for all that he does for the Stags.

Agree with you selfish
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Vice President wrote:Call me selfish, but I would rather JR have spent the money on a promotion-scoring striker for the Stags! ;)

With you VP on this, can't see how it'll benefit us. We have Clippo n Renuf that are local.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum