{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released & Transferred 2018-2019

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released & Transferred 2018-2019

Postby Big yella » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:11 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Danny rose, the mediocre striker that scored more goals than anyone else in a stags shirt last year. he was nearly our 20 goal a season man too.

Wagstaff, Clarke, Moss, Stant, Whitehall, Greenacre, Barker, Green and that is just a 20 second scan of my memory.

Rose is definitely only in the mediocre list of Stags strikers.

That would be the Matt Green who scored less goals than Rose last season? Green is a club legend for what he did in the conference, but that doesn't mean he is a better player.

First spell Matt Green was twice the player Rose is.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Danny rose, the mediocre striker that scored more goals than anyone else in a stags shirt last year. he was nearly our 20 goal a season man too.

Wagstaff, Clarke, Moss, Stant, Whitehall, Greenacre, Barker, Green and that is just a 20 second scan of my memory.

That would be the Matt Green who scored less goals than Rose last season? Green is a club legend for what he did in the conference, but that doesn't mean he is a better player.

in the conference..
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:29 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Ross dyer, Jimmy Spencer, Chris Beardsley, pat hoban, billy kee, vadaine oliver, Ollie palmer were mediocre.

Not rose

Those you mention there were not mediocre for the Stags, they were awful.

I'm not saying they have all been always awful they just had an awful time here. Rose (IMO) isn't a legend and not in the very good bracket(yet). He is better than any off those you mention by far, however, his record for us is 23 goals in 86 appearances, just better than 1 in four, and again IMO that leaves him at the moment in the mediocre bracket.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:30 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

in the conference..

So what.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Well, no. Not really... he played in the conference and has always been just average in the league.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Well, no. Not really... he played in the conference and has always been just average in the league.

So by that logic Dave Syrett must be our greatest ever striker, I mean he scored for us at a higher level than Clarke or Waggy so he must be better right?
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:51 pm

I've just had a look at the definition and synonyms of mediocre.

'of only average quality; not very good'

ordinary, common, commonplace, indifferent, average, middle-of-the-road, middling, medium, moderate, everyday, workaday, tolerable, passable, adequate, fair;

these are not words I would use to describe rose at all
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I've just had a look at the definition and synonyms of mediocre.

'of only average quality; not very good'

ordinary, common, commonplace, indifferent, average, middle-of-the-road, middling, medium, moderate, everyday, workaday, tolerable, passable, adequate, fair;

these are not words I would use to describe rose at all

In the history of our strikers I think that's exactly where he sits. With a three year deal just signed he has the time, and the talent to change that.

If Danny Rose was to be sold before this season kicks off would we in ten years time or more be looking back on him in the same way as we do Barker, Greenacre, Wilkinson, Stant etc. I don't believe so.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:08 pm

of course he's not at a level of greenacre or Barker, but he's certainly not mediocre in my book and I'm sure a lot of Mansfield fans would agree with me on that one.

Anyway, we need to think about the future and not living on past successful strikers and constantly comparing them. the game has changed massively since the days of all those strikers you listed. they have to play such a different game to just sticking the ball in the net
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Big yella wrote:
Sedgwick"}[quote="Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

So by that logic Dave Syrett must be our greatest ever striker, I mean he scored for us at a higher level than Clarke or Waggy so he must be better right?

I never saw any of those players play, but yes probably. Man City fans love Shaun Goater but is he a better player than Wilfred Bony or Steven Jovetic who were garbage for them? No.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Green scored 14 in the league last season, exactly the same as Rose. Thanks Sedgwick that makes Rose average/mediocre just like we said
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Sedgwick"}[quote="Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I never saw any of those players play, but yes probably. Man City fans love Shaun Goater but is he a better player than Wilfred Bony or Steven Jovetic who were garbage for them? No.

But he was a better player than any of those whilst they were at City , which is what I'm saying about Danny. At the moment he sits firmly in the average category, I hope with the undoubted talent he has he can have a great season or two and push himself into the upper echelons of our strikers list. He just isn't there yet for me.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Danny Rose has the potential to be a very good player. I don`t know how anyone could call Billy Kee, mediocre!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:25 pm

It's like groundhog Day on here, this argument happened with green whether he was good enough or not and he proved himself he is good enough to cut it in league two with two teams. Danny Rose will eventually play at a higher level I'm sure, he's loads younger than green and will make us good money in the future
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:28 pm

PRL13 wrote:Danny Rose has the potential to be a very good player. I don`t know how anyone could call Billy Kee, mediocre!

he was mediocre for us, certainly not at Accrington . not his own fault though as he was suffering with mental health issues
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:39 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
PRL13 wrote:Danny Rose has the potential to be a very good player. I don`t know how anyone could call Billy Kee, mediocre!

he was mediocre for us, certainly not at Accrington . not his own fault though as he was suffering with mental health issues

That's what I said too.

We were very unfortunate to have Billy Keep at the darkest period of his illness and it showed. He was and is a great striker, he just wasn't for us.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:56 pm

For the last 2 years Danny Rose has looked promising, and his best scoring rate is between 9-14 league goals per season.
However, we are still bemoaning the fact that we don't have a 'clinical finisher', or a '20 goaler'. So whilst Danny might be a good player to have in the squad, we still need to have someone else who can score more goals.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Vice President wrote:For the last 2 years Danny Rose has looked promising, and his best scoring rate is between 9-14 league goals per season.
However, we are still bemoaning the fact that we don't have a 'clinical finisher', or a '20 goaler'. So whilst Danny might be a good player to have in the squad, we still need to have someone else who can score more goals.

we need midfielders and defence to chip in with more goals rather than solely relying on our strikers to be the output of our team. let's hope DF addresses that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:07 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Vice President wrote:For the last 2 years Danny Rose has looked promising, and his best scoring rate is between 9-14 league goals per season.

we need midfielders and defence to chip in with more goals rather than solely relying on our strikers to be the output of our team. let's hope DF addresses that

Yes, I agree. Our midfielders, wingers and defenders all need to score more goals next season. That would be far better than relying on just one guy up front.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:53 am

For me the Rose debate comes down to a single question. When presented with a good chance, are you more confident that he will score than fearful that he will miss? For me the answer is a resounding no I'm not.

Hence I don't think he is a great striker, yes he puts goals away but compared to the number of chances, I think his strike rate is no more than average at best

Of course you could argue he gets into the positions but doesn't get the service but I don't see that either. I agree with Big Yella, no where near the list of best strikers and fitness levels below what is required to be considered great.

That said, I hope he is still here at the start of the season but don't think he will be our main man but will be in front of Angol. I think Tyler Walker will show us the difference in class between a good striker and an average one and enlighten the younger fans who haven't had the benefit of seeing true talent on a regular basis.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 am

I think our preferred front two will be Davies and Walker.We will have good attacking options with Rose Angol Sterling and Graham.The midfield will be a lot stronger with Khan and Bishop.Pretty sure they will chip in with few goals as will Hamilton and Macdonald.This season will be just as tough as last season but I feel we are better equipped to challenge for a top three place.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:59 am

Rose debate seems to be eclipsing Green and Rhead now
Rose not mediocre by any stretch of the imagination but like many of our past strikers he is not prolific but would like to see him remain at the club currently and there will be injuries of course.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Rose debate seems to be eclipsing Green and Rhead now
Rose not mediocre by any stretch of the imagination but like many of our past strikers he is not prolific but would like to see him remain at the club currently and there will be injuries of course.

Of the past 20 odd years, he's not at the Greenacre / Barker / Boulding / Green level. But i reckon he's (currently) the next step down alongside Christie and a few others
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:27 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Rose debate seems to be eclipsing Green and Rhead now

Of the past 20 odd years, he's not at the Greenacre / Barker / Boulding / Green level. But i reckon he's (currently) the next step down alongside Christie and a few others

Rose is as good as Green if not better.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Nicky Hunt is on trial at Crewe
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum