{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

How did we look?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

How did we look?

Postby mousemousemouse » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 am

I couldn’t make yesterday, and wondered how we played?

I think Flitcroft has a good vision for the clubs future; a united squad, solid youth teams etc

I think he’s tried to install that at slightly the wrong time (he just needed to keep things going) but maybe we are starting to get back on track or are did we just play average against a local team?
mousemousemouse
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: How did we look?

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:07 am

mousemousemouse wrote:I couldn’t make yesterday, and wondered how we played?

I think Flitcroft has a good vision for the clubs future; a united squad, solid youth teams etc

I think he’s tried to install that at slightly the wrong time (he just needed to keep things going) but maybe we are starting to get back on track or are did we just play average against a local team?

Poor, we hoofed it for 89 mins, played 1 minute of football and scored but we won and kicked them through the trapdoor :lol: :lol:
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:09 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Poor, we hoofed it for 89 mins, played 1 minute of football and scored but we won and kicked them through the trapdoor :lol: :lol:

Same tactics as we played under Evans when away from home.
stagsfan6493
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Same tactics as we played under Evans when away from home.

And your point is?

Is Flitcroft not allowed to change it?
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby stags4eva » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 am

Agreed, it was like watching bottom vs second bottom at times, but i'll take it!
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 am

It was tense and there wasn't much time on the ball, but we approached the game in the perfect manner, so credit to Flitcroft. The players looked focussed on the job and hungry. We won the majority of 50/50 balls and looked the most likely to win from the beginning. His strategy was clearly to have a battling midfield with Potter, Atko and Macca and width from the full backs in Benning and White. It worked. When White went off injured and Bennett came on it made us more defensive and they attacked us more, but he changed it in the second half and brought CJ on. After Spireites went 2 up top, this opened things up and we were able to pass it better. Overall, good selection, strategy and man management to get the players up for it. Top marks Flitcroft.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:40 am

ParisStag wrote:It was tense and there wasn't much time on the ball, but we approached the game in the perfect manner, so credit to Flitcroft. The players looked focussed on the job and hungry. We won the majority of 50/50 balls and looked the most likely to win from the beginning. His strategy was clearly to have a battling midfield with Potter, Atko and Macca and width from the full backs in Benning and White. It worked. When White went off injured and Bennett came on it made us more defensive and they attacked us more, but he changed it in the second half and brought CJ on. After Spireites went 2 up top, this opened things up and we were able to pass it better. Overall, good selection, strategy and man management to get the players up for it. Top marks Flitcroft.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Potter couldn't battle his way out the thinnest most sodden paper bag in history
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:47 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
ParisStag wrote:It was tense and there wasn't much time on the ball, but we approached the game in the perfect manner, so credit to Flitcroft. The players looked focussed on the job and hungry. We won the majority of 50/50 balls and looked the most likely to win from the beginning. His strategy was clearly to have a battling midfield with Potter, Atko and Macca and width from the full backs in Benning and White. It worked. When White went off injured and Bennett came on it made us more defensive and they attacked us more, but he changed it in the second half and brought CJ on. After Spireites went 2 up top, this opened things up and we were able to pass it better. Overall, good selection, strategy and man management to get the players up for it. Top marks Flitcroft.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Potter couldn't battle his way out the thinnest most sodden paper bag in history

Do you actually watch games? He never stops. His tracking back and block to stop an inevitable goal yesterday was pure graft.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellas-derek-yellas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 am

stags4eva wrote:Agreed, it was like watching bottom vs second bottom at times, but i'll take it!

This. tbh been like this most of the season.
Looking forward to our trip to Wembley though. [fingers crossed]
yellas-derek-yellas
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby abc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 am

yellas-derek-yellas wrote:
stags4eva wrote:Agreed, it was like watching bottom vs second bottom at times, but i'll take it!

Its fourth division football fgs, Sky really does have a lot to answer for.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stags4eva » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am

abc wrote:

What are you talking about?

I've seen us play like the top of league two this season, and i've also seen us play like mid table fodder. Last few weeks generally, more bottom half of league two.

Got sod all to do with sky i've been watching us for about 20 years I know exactly what i'm watching thanks.
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby scottyd281 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 am

We got the win, Chesterfield have beaten Clounty and Luton at home. They where fighting for League survival and us a possible play off spot the game was always going to be tense. Rose should have scored from 7 yards & potter snatched at a chance in 1st half, but didn't and I whole heartily could not give a rats rear end if its booted up to the front pair or we play pretty tappy football as long as we win or get a result in our favour & the players show passion for the full 90. COYS
Last edited by scottyd281 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
scottyd281
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:37 am

ParisStag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Do you actually watch games? He never stops. His tracking back and block to stop an inevitable goal yesterday was pure graft.

I do mate and may I suggest you start to. He did his job on that occasion the other 89 he was dog turd.

Lost possession (lightweight) numerous times and what was he doing last min with a routine clearance straight to them on the edge of our box, plus the Shiite shot with the goal gaping early doors, woeful performance and how he stayed on for 90 mins is baffling.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am

The performance was very much a default 2017-18 season one. You've seen it dozens of times.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 am

stags4eva wrote:
abc wrote:

I've seen us play like the top of league two this season, and i've also seen us play like mid table fodder. Last few weeks generally, more bottom half of league two.

Got sod all to do with sky i've been watching us for about 20 years I know exactly what i'm watching thanks.

But it was like the vast majority of derby games though ;)

Plus he got 2 more points against them than the previous Messiah :D

Let's see if DF can build on from here - a win was all that's required to try and instill a bit of confidence and belief. After the previous 8 games I doubt anyone would expect a polished performance?

For me, it's how the team plays from here onwards, IF they can keep that spirit and build from that.
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:14 am

I didnt think we were at all bad. Defended heroically amd as a team at times.

Rose missed a sitter. We had a lot of the ball bit did t do much with it in attack. We looked best down the wings.

It wasnt a vintage but it was a grafting battling turgid game.

Lots of positives.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:44 am

I found Lester's comments about our back four laughable. Saying that it's not a strong back four. Blimey, he'd kill for it and it's been our strength for over two years. Blokes a bitter pillock.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby WeDeserveMore » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 am

Well... as ppl have said, it wasn't polished or pretty.. but for once the players did it for the fans - they fought and mostly won every 50/50 And second ball. They really did graft and play for the badge.

We were all over then until white went off.. he was roasting their defenders. Shame he got injured as when he went off DF had to shuffle pack and change tactics.

Well done fans, players and management at MTFC - it meant so much.

Great to see Radford and Hymas going crazy at the end. They deserve it.. just like we do.

MTFC fans.. best in the world. The noise we made was incredible - I hardly heard the chavs sing a song?!

Well done all.
Champions!!!!!!!
WeDeserveMore
First Team
First Team

Postby abc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 am

stags4eva wrote:
abc wrote:

Sky.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:39 pm

WeDeserveMore wrote:Well... as ppl have said, it wasn't polished or pretty.. but for once the players did it for the fans - they fought and mostly won every 50/50 And second ball. They really did graft and play for the badge.

We were all over then until white went off.. he was roasting their defenders. Shame he got injured as when he went off DF had to shuffle pack and change tactics.

Well done fans, players and management at MTFC - it meant so much.

Great to see Radford and Hymas going crazy at the end. They deserve it.. just like we do.

MTFC fans.. best in the world. The noise we made was incredible - I hardly heard the chavs sing a song?!

Well done all.

It Mark Hawkins, Mark Burton and Steve Hymas going crazy at the end. JR is on holiday in Dubai
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:11 pm

There's no pleasing some people where Mansfield Town not Brazil we play in division 2 I dont care how we play only that the players give 100% I've supported the Stags for over 43 years except for 1 season in now the Championship I've come to except there will be more poor n average seasons than good or great following my home club... I don't get these fans that don't except we are who we are I'm just thankful we've got a self made local multimillionaire who loves the club like 99% of the fans who turn up week in week out for the privilege to support Mansfield Town because without JR we wouldn't have league football or have AFC before our name N bloody supermarket standing in the place if our club.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum