{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Red card

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Red card

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Anyone care to explain that one?

Given then rescinded due to offside. :?

To be fair Drysdale had another good game compared to the refs we've had recently.
Stags 2002
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Red card

Postby Sneag » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Not sure how Danny could have been offside though.

Still no matter. :lol:
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:23 pm

It wasn't dangerous play, it was last man.

Denied a goalscoring opportunity which was gained by being offside. Red card rescinded.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Definitely off side. Had a good view from the side. When their lad got booked for putting. the ball in the net after the whistle had gone. Did the ref get the wrong man. Could of sworn it was Dennis.
wink68
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:34 pm

The red was for last man, but the assistant had the flag up, so as that decision preceded the red card it became null and void

Correct decision
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 pm

wink68 wrote:Definitely off side. Had a good view from the side. When their lad got booked for putting. the ball in the net after the whistle had gone. Did the ref get the wrong man. Could of sworn it was Dennis.

Red card rescinded was correct decision. Foul, last man, red card, oops Rose was offside, free kick the other way, no red card.

Dennis played on and put the ball over the bar (not in the net) but was not booked. Hemmings did the same (he did put the ball in the net) a few minutes later, and was also not booked. So consistency from the ref there. The player booked when Dennis put the ball over the bar (Jacob Brown) was the player who committed the foul.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sharp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:58 pm

I thought Drysdale was excellent again today.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Good game ref, very fair in a tense game.
CassellsCap
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby wink68 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
wink68 wrote:Definitely off side. Had a good view from the side. When their lad got booked for putting. the ball in the net after the whistle had gone. Did the ref get the wrong man. Could of sworn it was Dennis.

Red card rescinded was correct decision. Foul, last man, red card, oops Rose was offside, free kick the other way, no red card.

Dennis played on and put the ball over the bar (not in the net) but was not booked. Hemmings did the same (he did put the ball in the net) a few minutes later, and was also not booked. So consistency from the ref there. The player booked when Dennis put the ball over the bar (Jacob Brown) was the player who committed the foul.

Cheers Martin. Didn't realise he booked Brown for a foul thought it was for kicking ball away and got the wrong man. Chesterfld fans must have thought so too as all the booing when Kane did the same.
wink68
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby trenty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am

[quote][/quote]
So if the last man had thrown a punch and decked Rose because it was off side he would have got a way with it
Don't sound right to me
The offence was committed so red card should of stood surely regardless of the off side
trenty
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sharp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:03 am

Different scenario. If Rose was punched then that would be violent conduct and the fact play was stopped would be irrelevant. The player was on initially sent off as he brought Rose down and was last man, due to the offside that all became irrelevant, as Rose wasn’t through due to the play being pulled back and therefore no red card.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 am

trenty wrote:

So if the last man had thrown a punch and decked Rose because it was off side he would have got a way with it
Don't sound right to me
The offence was committed so red card should of stood surely regardless of the off side

if it had been dangerous foul play, the red card would have stood.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Sharp wrote:Different scenario. If Rose was punched then that would be violent conduct and the fact play was stopped would be irrelevant. The player was on initially sent off as he brought Rose down and was last man, due to the offside that all became irrelevant, as Rose wasn’t through due to the play being pulled back and therefore no red card.

You should be a ref Sharpy :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:24 pm

I also think Mr Drysdale had a good game with one exception. That came when Mansfield broke from defence and Dennis cynically brought a player down by hacking him down from behind. The ball was 10 yards away and it could have caused a serious injury. Mr Drysdale allowed play to continue but there was no real advantage because of the positions on the pitch. He was only then able to give a yellow card but I think he should have stopped the game and sent Dennis off.

That was one of the few decisions I think he got wrong but it was a major decision which could have changed the game especially as there was more than half the match left.
Steve Evans is Fatty Arbuckle reincarnated.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I also think Mr Drysdale had a good game with one exception. That came when Mansfield broke from defence and Dennis cynically brought a player down by hacking him down from behind. The ball was 10 yards away and it could have caused a serious injury. Mr Drysdale allowed play to continue but there was no real advantage because of the positions on the pitch. He was only then able to give a yellow card but I think he should have stopped the game and sent Dennis off.

That was one of the few decisions I think he got wrong but it was a major decision which could have changed the game especially as there was more than half the match left.

It didn't look like there'd been an injury and had he stopped play immediately rather than play advantage we'd have complained a lot. It didn't look like a red card offence either - too far back from the goal. I also thought that Drysdale did well - he seems to have become a good ref.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Bradders wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I also think Mr Drysdale had a good game with one exception. That came when Mansfield broke from defence and Dennis cynically brought a player down by hacking him down from behind. The ball was 10 yards away and it could have caused a serious injury. Mr Drysdale allowed play to continue but there was no real advantage because of the positions on the pitch. He was only then able to give a yellow card but I think he should have stopped the game and sent Dennis off.

It didn't look like there'd been an injury and had he stopped play immediately rather than play advantage we'd have complained a lot. It didn't look like a red card offence either - too far back from the goal. I also thought that Drysdale did well - he seems to have become a good ref.

I thought it a red as it was nothing short of foul play. He had no chance of getting the ball and indeed made no attempt to do so. It was just a vicious kick at our player which brought him straight down and could have injured him. There was no question he committed a foul trying to play the ball or that it was even a mis-timed late challenge Any challenge from behind is dangerous and I still say red was correct. No suggestion he should have gone for denying a goal scoring chance but for foul and dangerous play
Steve Evans is Fatty Arbuckle reincarnated.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum