{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

An ode to Chesterfield away

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Random Hero » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

I'd like to dedicate this 'pome' to my good friend Tony Cole. Whilst I can not pen words that resonate so deeply within as my good friend Toe Knee, I hope this is of inspiration to our fans and our players on the eve of this huge fixture.



From the proud pits at Clipstone
and Sherwood, Welbeck too
We all chose to be Amber
And never to be blue

Sir Lawrence and Sir Andrew
They're named in history
Spit Bradley sent off to the stands
And Mr Craig Disley

But days like these aren't often
It comes right from the heart
The pride and the emotion
The fans all do their part

If we go up and send them down
It does not matter how.
You went to work or stayed at home
That does not matter now

The players needs to understand
It's more than just a game
It's fighting for that Amber shirt
It's 'Mansfield Town', the name

Attack them right from minute one
No matter what the hitch
The blood, the sweat, the fight, the tears
Leave it all on the pitch

Give it your all and everything
Give as good as it gets
So you can stand up tall and say
That you have no regrets

Lets walk out of that stadium
With their fate surely sealed
A team of Mansfield heroes born
Before they leave the field

So go out there and win this fight
And do it for the fans
So we can look to Wem-ber-ley
While they make Conference plans

Lets raise our flag so highly
With no sight of a frown
Lets all make sure they damn well know
That we are Mansfield Town
User avatar
Random Hero
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: The wrong side of the M1

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Great pome. Understandable when you have an idol in Tony Cole.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Random Hero » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Great pome. Understandable when you have an idol in Tony Cole.


He is my mentor. My Mr Miyagi.
User avatar
Random Hero
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: The wrong side of the M1

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Tre Cool » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Just pin this - along with that Krystian Dennis interview - to the changing room door and there you have a better teamtalk than what David 'gavanise' Flitcroft could give. Great work.
User avatar
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Wingerworth

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Random Hero » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Tre Cool wrote:Just pin this - along with that Krystian Dennis interview - to the changing room door and there you have a better teamtalk than what David 'gavanise' Flitcroft could give. Great work.


That's appreciated!
User avatar
Random Hero
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: The wrong side of the M1

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby The One » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Tre Cool wrote:Just pin this - along with that Krystian Dennis interview - to the changing room door and there you have a better teamtalk than what David 'gavanise' Flitcroft could give. Great work.


Galvanising :D
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9279
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Like hunter
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2666
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Big yella » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Very good Random. I wrote a little verse myself but didn't have the testicular fortitude to post before, but if you dare then sod it.

It's Spireite Eve and all is quiet,
Except the million nerves dancing a riot.
They sit so close to the precipice,
Let's push them down the dark abyss.

We've suffered hard and suffered long,
Let's wave goodbye in merry song.
We'll paint their town a golden Amber,
And when they fall we'll dance a conga.

Our hopes rely on a Wembley day,
So sing us on till the end of May.
Fight hard my boys and make us believe,
That this is the last Spireite Eve.

So once again I call upon you,
You mighty warriors of Amber and Blue.
Fight hard my boys and make us believe,
That this is the last Spireite Eve.
Who needs a Dutchman, when we've got Holland.
User avatar
Big yella
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3307
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Big yella wrote:Very good Random. I wrote a little verse myself but didn't have the testicular fortitude to post before, but if you dare then sod it.

It's Spireite Eve and all is quiet,
Except the million nerves dancing a riot.
They sit so close to the precipice,
Let's push them down the dark abyss.

We've suffered hard and suffered long,
Let's wave goodbye in merry song.
We'll paint their town a golden Amber,
And when they fall we'll dance a conga.

Our hopes rely on a Wembley day,
So sing us on till the end of May.
Fight hard my boys and make us believe,
That this is the last Spireite Eve.

So once again I call upon you,
You mighty warriors of Amber and Blue.
Fight hard my boys and make us believe,
That this is the last Spireite Eve.


Well done Big Yella, even Pam Ayres couldn’t anything to rhyme with conga.
I am Spartacus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 am

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Big yella wrote:Very good Random. I wrote a little verse myself but didn't have the testicular fortitude to post before, but if you dare then sod it.

It's Spireite Eve and all is quiet,
Except the million nerves dancing a riot.
They sit so close to the precipice,
Let's push them down the dark abyss.

We've suffered hard and suffered long,
Let's wave goodbye in merry song.
We'll paint their town a golden Amber,
And when they fall we'll dance a conga

Our hopes rely on a Wembley day,
So sing us on till the end of May.
Fight hard my boys and make us believe,
That this is the last Spireite Eve.

So once again I call upon you,
You mighty warriors of Amber and Blue.
Fight hard my boys and make us believe,
That this is the last Spireite Eve.


Well done Big Yella, even Pam Ayres couldn’t anything to rhyme with conga.



What about little brown envelopes full of wonga
Steve Evans is Fatty Arbuckle reincarnated.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby vicar jeremiah » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Great pome. Understandable when you have an idol in Tony Cole.


He is my mentor. My Mr Miyagi.


I'll print off a copy and show it to Tony on my next prison visit
4 in a bed with the Dixie Chicks is against biblical teachings
vicar jeremiah
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 pm
Location: God's village Mansfield Woodhouse

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby die hirsche » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I was kind of hoping Tony might make an appearance this evening.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:05 am

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:52 pm

superb
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Spiritater » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Random Hero wrote:I'd like to dedicate this 'pome' to my good friend Tony Cole. Whilst I can not pen words that resonate so deeply within as my good friend Toe Knee, I hope this is of inspiration to our fans and our players on the eve of this huge fixture.



From the proud pits at Clipstone
and Sherwood, Welbeck too
We all chose to be Amber
And never to be blue

Sir Lawrence and Sir Andrew
They're named in history
Spit Bradley sent off to the stands
And Mr Craig Disley

But days like these aren't often
It comes right from the heart
The pride and the emotion
The fans all do their part

If we go up and send them down
It does not matter how.
You went to work or stayed at home
That does not matter now

The players needs to understand
It's more than just a game
It's fighting for that Amber shirt
It's 'Mansfield Town', the name

Attack them right from minute one
No matter what the hitch
The blood, the sweat, the fight, the tears
Leave it all on the pitch

Give it your all and everything
Give as good as it gets
So you can stand up tall and say
That you have no regrets

Lets walk out of that stadium
With their fate surely sealed
A team of Mansfield heroes born
Before they leave the field

So go out there and win this fight
And do it for the fans
So we can look to Wem-ber-ley
While they make Conference plans

Lets raise our flag so highly
With no sight of a frown
Lets all make sure they damn well know
That Mansfield helped send them down



Amended it slightly at the end, sounds better. Good effort.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 17380
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby spanishstag » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Whats a pome
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Jamie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Great work Random Hero.

COYS
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4152
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Spiritater » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Spanish,
It's what Toe Knee Coal used two right. He cudn't spel.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 17380
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Random Hero » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:55 pm

spanishstag wrote:Whats a pome


Thanks Julio
User avatar
Random Hero
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: The wrong side of the M1

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby Random Hero » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Big yella wrote:Very good Random. I wrote a little verse myself but didn't have the testicular fortitude to post before, but if you dare then sod it.

It's Spireite Eve and all is quiet,
Except the million nerves dancing a riot.
They sit so close to the precipice,
Let's push them down the dark abyss.

We've suffered hard and suffered long,
Let's wave goodbye in merry song.
We'll paint their town a golden Amber,
And when they fall we'll dance a conga.

Our hopes rely on a Wembley day,
So sing us on till the end of May.
Fight hard my boys and make us believe,
That this is the last Spireite Eve.

So once again I call upon you,
You mighty warriors of Amber and Blue.
Fight hard my boys and make us believe,
That this is the last Spireite Eve.


You beat me Big Yella, hats off to ya
User avatar
Random Hero
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: The wrong side of the M1

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby 88BenM » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:31 pm

If Flitcroft is showing the players fans in the pub in Notts. Then Flitcroft needs to read this thread to the players before the game.
User avatar
88BenM
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Wrong side of the M1.

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby vicar jeremiah » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:50 am

Had a quick chat with Tony, he has read the thread and sends best wishes for today. I asked for one verse off the top of his head and almost straight away text:

Sprite vurse by Tony Cole

Feling good the day as cumm
To leve a full back on is bumm
To scaw one mor than they wil
Then a pye and a boveril
4 in a bed with the Dixie Chicks is against biblical teachings
vicar jeremiah
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 pm
Location: God's village Mansfield Woodhouse

Re: An ode to Chesterfield away

Postby london amber stag » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:01 am

vicar jeremiah wrote:Had a quick chat with Tony, he has read the thread and sends best wishes for today. I asked for one verse off the top of his head and almost straight away text:

Sprite vurse by Tony Cole

Feling good the day as cumm
To leve a full back on is bumm
To scaw one mor than they wil
Then a pye and a boveril

:lol:
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
User avatar
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Bromley Kent


Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arsene wengers coat, Bradders, kcassellsfootygenius, patstag, Richard Cranium, skegbystag, Spiritater, ST4GS, Stagsfan11, Woodclanger 1 and 15 guests