{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft and Danny Rose press conf Thur 12 Apr

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft and Danny Rose press conf Thur 12 Apr

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:meanwhile over the border it's all about the miners' strike ...

Dennis out to score in front of the Stags fans and ‘shut them up’
Derbyshire Times, by GRAHAM SMYTH, Thursday 12 April 2018

Kristian Dennis is out to silence the Mansfield Town fans with a derby day goal on Saturday, with the memories of his first trip to Field Mill still fresh in his mind.

Going into that game Dennis had scored in each of his previous six League Two outings, but the Chesterfield striker didn’t manage to hit the net in the 2-2 draw with the Stags, instead having to settle for putting Andy Kellett’s headed goal on a plate. The lead up to that November clash was an education for the 28-year-old, who was unaware of how fierce the rivalry between the clubs was and how the miners’ strike has played a part in it.

“Now I do (understand the rivalry), I’ve heard about why. We learned about that the week before the previous game. “They went to work when people around here didn’t.

“I had no clue whatsoever and wondered why there was so much hatred and the manager told us.”

But even with the benefit of a heads up from boss Jack Lester, Dennis was still startled by the strength of feeling in the stands when he walked out at Field Mill.

Read more at: https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport ... -1-9110550

And with that in mind, he’d love to score in front of the visiting supporters this weekend. “I didn’t realise how much hatred there was between the fans until we got there and they were giving us all sorts going on the pitch, coming off the pitch,” he said. “Scoring one in front of them wouldn’t be bad – shut them up.” Scoring in a Town victory over the Stags could be vital in helping Dennis avoid a return to non-league football, from where he was signed by the club. “No chance I want to go back there,” he said. “I’ve got to keep scoring and hopefully help us pick results up towards the end of the season and we’ll stay up.”

-----------------------

Now you've lit the fuse good and proper Marty. :lol:

Well as a striking miner in Notts supporting Stags, if he wants to celebrate in from of me I will be quite happy to knock him out.

As a working miner in 1984 , I'd be happy to do the same.
It's gone, no point arguing who was right, who was wrong. I respect those that believed in what they did on either side as I would expect the same.
Mr Grimsdale
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Do you think it’s time that DF started talking in terms of sacks of coal?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:08 pm

I am not a miner, and I remember the local derbies long before the miners strike in the 80's. The Mansfield v Chesterfield fixture predates any of those issues. At the time in the 80's I didn't even cotton on to the miners reference, such was the rivalry between the two clubs that had already been long established.
This weekend is all about 'who wants it more'. My worry is that Chesterfield have more at stake than us and that they will be more 'up for it'.
I just hope that we have the quality and the fight to get the result that we need against the bottom team in the league (never mind the fact that they are our bitterest rivals).
This will be a massive test of both Flitcroft's and the players motivation and quality. The difficulty will be in extracting which of those four elements are at fault if we don't deliver.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:21 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Do you think it’s time that DF started talking in terms of sacks of coal?

No Edders DF has gone electric. I suspect that accounts for the difficult transition. Hopefully back on the rails when we pull into Proac Station.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:49 pm

It is a disgraceful interview and if that’s how Lester described the rivalry he should be ashamed
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:26 am

All Dennis has done there is dismiss 2 potential Football League employees for next season. (Stags\Notts).

Not very clever that lad

Lester is just the gift that keeps giving
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:47 am

Amber Andy wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:Do you think it’s time that DF started talking in terms of sacks of coal?

No Edders DF has gone electric. I suspect that accounts for the difficult transition. Hopefully back on the rails when we pull into Proac Station.

I hope he’s discharged some high voltage into some of the players’ gonads.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum