{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

OK Snap poll, Should Flitcroft be in charge next Saturday?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: OK Snap poll, Should Flitcroft be in charge next Saturda

Postby oldweststander » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 am

My view has always been, if he can't get us into the play offs after coming in with the club in 3rd place then he has to go. A new manager arriving at a club usually sparks a mini improvenent as players strive to impress, not so at our club.
For whatever reason it is not working, he has four games IMO to save his job.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 am

This is totally pointless, pardon the pun, JR will decide either way, let’s just hope he makes the right one either way. Boy it’s cost him some money so far!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby thosstag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:11 pm

First time on the Forum. Flitcroft has undoubtedly been a disappointment but as others have said the players must also take responsibility. If we lose on Saturday then I would hope he would resign which would allow JR to 'take time' to appoint a new manager who in turn would have the opportunity to sort out any contracts of existing players and bring in his own players prior to pre-season. If he doesn't resign JR will make a decision based on what he thinks Flitctoft has or hasn't achieved and also on the financial consequences of sacking him. Nigel Clough has never got mentioned on the Forum as a possibility, he has wide experience has worked miracles at Burton (yes I know they will get relegated), on a small budget and very small crowds and I presume he lives fairly local.
thosstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BigGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:50 pm

oldweststander wrote:My view has always been, if he can't get us into the play offs after coming in with the club in 3rd place then he has to go. A new manager arriving at a club usually sparks a mini improvenent as players strive to impress, not so at our club.

That's probably the best one yet, hearing Evans had us in a promotion spot prior to leaving :o
BigGuy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Want him to stay and do well but don't think he will... its just not working at the minute. HAS to win Saturday or its game over.
Sedgwick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby jr senior » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:46 pm

I want to say yes but, MTFC as a business needs to keep its customers (fans) on board and past results suggest performances/tactics are failing, so

NO....fresh blood/ideas needed
jr senior
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm

BigGuy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:My view has always been, if he can't get us into the play offs after coming in with the club in 3rd place then he has to go. A new manager arriving at a club usually sparks a mini improvenent as players strive to impress, not so at our club.

That's probably the best one yet, hearing Evans had us in a promotion spot prior to leaving :o

To be fair it wasn't that far off.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Mick McCarthy is one of them being touted for the West Brom job so don't think even JR or CR could swing him this way.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Come on Mick give us a go.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:49 pm

No, having seen all his games, it is dire and we called Coxy clueless. The new boss has taken clueless to a higher level. How can you get so many reasonable to play at such abject levels. With our levels of commitment and passion I am dreading Saturday it could be a disaster. Hope I am wrong.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Just as a comparison, Evans side were one point off the playoff at the end of March.

And then went on a dismal run of 2 wins in the last 8 with a 1st team that isn't that dissimilar to our 1st team now. Personally, I thought last season was a wasted chance to go up, but many gave Evans plenty of leeway because it 'wasn't his team' despite having free reign in the January transfer window.

I'm not suggesting Flitcroft's deserves a chance next season but there a lot of double standards being applied. It also shows that the sides Evans built were capable of putting in a poor run of form when the going gets tough. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the thought of last seasons run in in his mind when he accepted the job offer in the middle east (Anglia).
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 1966Stag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:Just as a comparison, Evans side were one point off the playoff at the end of March.

And then went on a dismal run of 2 wins in the last 8 with a 1st team that isn't that dissimilar to our 1st team now. Personally, I thought last season was a wasted chance to go up, but many gave Evans plenty of leeway because it 'wasn't his team' despite having free reign in the January transfer window.

I'm not suggesting Flitcroft's deserves a chance next season but there a lot of double standards being applied. It also shows that the sides Evans built were capable of putting in a poor run of form when the going gets tough. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the thought of last seasons run in in his mind when he accepted the job offer in the middle east (Anglia).

Agreed, he also started this season with 1 win in 7 after building his own squad earlier than most clubs in pre season, I don't think this team has ever looked like real promotion contenders (like Luton, Accrington and Doncaster, Portsmouth last year) - can't argue that we got in a good position but there was no guarantee we would have got over the line
1966Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Onelove » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm not entirely sure that the style of play has altered that much. Apart from a few examples during a few games, I don't think that we have been overly impressive from a footballing perspective all season. We've lumped it up to a mediocre Danny Rose all season. Evans just had the ability to bully and cajole his way over the finishing line and would probably have gotten us over the line. However, he was a wretched character and that was reinforced by leaving when he did. I wonder who is advising the radfords? Steve Evans was an obvious choice as very few have his record at this level. Outside of that, what are the decisions based on as I may be wrong, but whilst an incredible chairman, what are John and Carolyn's footballing credentials? I just wonder who advised them within a 24hr period that Flitcroft was the messiah, when in fact, he's been a very naughty boy :-) Personally, I dont think that Flitcroft can take all the blame.
Onelove
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm

oldweststander wrote:Come on Mick give us a go.

I agree that DF's time with us so far has been very disappointing. I also agree it is reasonable to give a view on whether he is up to the job. But I don't agree we should be naming who we want to take over whilst DF is still in the job.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:Just as a comparison, Evans side were one point off the playoff at the end of March.

Peterboro on a run of one win in 6, lost at home to bottom 4 Rochdale who played most of the 2nd half with ten men. No doubt he'll blame the previous manager for the players he has inherited - which of course is what Flitcroft could rightly do.

Flitcroft does deserve a chance next season with his own players, not with a bunch of overpaid under-performers Evans signed.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:30 pm

He's done himself a big favour today. It was nice to see him embracing the players after the game. So maybe there is harmony and respect. We need to see what happens in the next game.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 pm

His interview after the game is enough to convince me that he deserves a good run at it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Amber Andy wrote:He's done himself a big favour today. It was nice to see him embracing the players after the game. So maybe there is harmony and respect. We need to see what happens in the next game.

hard to see a split in the dressing room after today's result, seeing as that's the rumour that some players have downed tools. We need to win the last 3 now while hoping a few results go our way

I supported DF through the bad run, and I'll still stand by the decision that he deserves a season at least to see what he can do whether we're in league two or one next year
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:50 pm

I think they’ve been playing for him since he came in, but for whatever reason we haven’t won until today. Football today is so business driven it has fans baying for blood if a manager loses a few matches. It’s all about speed and power and less about skill. It’s what makes football less appealing nowadays. I’ve seen enough to assure me he will do a decent job and turn it around. The guy who can’t be named is responsible for our sudden loss of form imo and I really hope Posh fans start getting on his back.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 am

One swallow doesn't make a Summer.

For now, still NO.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 am

bellwhiff wrote:His interview after the game is enough to convince me that he deserves a good run at it.

I have to agree.

It was interesting to hear him talk about creating a culture where everyone supports each other and where people don’t get castigated for making a mistake.

He’s made similar references when talking about David Mirfin being bought back into the group which gave an insight into Evans attitude.

I think Flitcroft could prove to be a very good appointment, providing he is given a bit of time.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:10 am

bellwhiff wrote:His interview after the game is enough to convince me that he deserves a good run at it.

Why?

Elaborate.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:58 am

oldweststander wrote:One swallow doesn't make a Summer.

For now, still NO.

Makes for a good blow job though.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:10 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:

Why?

Elaborate.

I will if you say please.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum