{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bottlers!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bottlers!

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Jamie wrote:I want DF to succeeded, obviously. But he has to step up and deliver, like all managers do. So far he hasn't been able to get them playing. The most worrying thing for me is the drop in tempo, urgency and confidence. Yes he needs more time and he'll get that and my full support on match days. No vendetta here Rob and im just saying what ive seen.

Do you not agree regarding the tempo, effort and confidence in the last two games?

I don't agree on it being Evans fault if we don't go up. Yes its his team, but its a good one and in a good position.

You HAVE to give the man time, Jamie.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Been on holiday for the last two weeks, and very surprised on my return, to find we have a new manager. Mr Evans was praising our owner and the CEO just before I left and now he is managing a club he apparently wanted to manage for the last 20 years. We all knew he would go when he was offered a better deal, but given we were playing well and looked nailed on for 3rd place, the timing seems strange. However I'm not concerned about the reasons why he left, he's gone and that's that.

The players must be shell shocked that he has left because they too must have felt under his management they would have gained the third promotion place. Now they must be having doubts. I can't comment on the games played under David Flitcroft, but he has at least kept the unbeaten run going. I don't think for a second any of our players are bottlers but they must forget about Mr Evans and start playing for the new manager. And we as supporters should be getting behind the new management team. We can still gain promotion. COYS
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Been on holiday for the last two weeks, and very surprised on my return, to find we have a new manager. Mr Evans was praising our owner and the CEO just before I left and now he is managing a club he apparently wanted to manage for the last 20 years. We all knew he would go when he was offered a better deal, but given we were playing well and looked nailed on for 3rd place, the timing seems strange. However I'm not concerned about the reasons why he left, he's gone and that's that.

The players must be shell shocked that he has left because they too must have felt under his management they would have gained the third promotion place. Now they must be having doubts. I can't comment on the games played under David Flitcroft, but he has at least kept the unbeaten run going. I don't think for a second any of our players are bottlers but they must forget about Mr Evans and start playing for the new manager. And we as supporters should be getting behind the new management team. We can still gain promotion. COYS

I don’t think any of the players will be missing The Fat Controller
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 pm

I think Evans first 6 games for us were won 3 lost 3 .granted he inherited a poorer team ,but as other have said the back bone of the team is still murrays .
Evans win rate is 43% and Flitcrofts is 40 %.so not a lot in it baring in mind Evans has normally had the luxury of being able to buy his teams .ie at Crawley. Rotherham and Mansfield .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:57 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Been on holiday for the last two weeks, and very surprised on my return, to find we have a new manager. Mr Evans was praising our owner and the CEO just before I left and now he is managing a club he apparently wanted to manage for the last 20 years. We all knew he would go when he was offered a better deal, but given we were playing well and looked nailed on for 3rd place, the timing seems strange. However I'm not concerned about the reasons why he left, he's gone and that's that.

I don’t think any of the players will be missing The Fat Controller

Some will, andthose that do need to accept the fact he's gone and be professional.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Rob wrote:
Jamie wrote:Not sure how taking over a well financed, experienced and quality packed side, 3 points from automatic promotion with 13 games left is an 'unenviable' task. He rightly jumped at the chance, as would many others given half a chance.

Evans going was bound cause some issues. But DF knew that, as did JR. It would of been a key point when they spoke so really isn't an excuse. His first task was to repair any damage and get moral up. From the last two games we look devoid of confidence so its fair to say hes not done a great job so far in that regard.

Plenty of time left to get it right, but it needs to start soon.

None of the players are his signings. Evans signings were, at the kindest, hit and miss and our best players remain those signed by Murray. I sense you are keen to jump on Flitcroft as soon as you can. Criticising him as you are after just two undefeated games is laughable. If we don't go up this season it will be Evans fault, his players, he dumped us.

As previously stated, if Jamie says it, it is usually completely wrong.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Jamie wrote:I want DF to succeeded, obviously. But he has to step up and deliver, like all managers do. So far he hasn't been able to get them playing. The most worrying thing for me is the drop in tempo, urgency and confidence. Yes he needs more time and he'll get that and my full support on match days. No vendetta here Rob and im just saying what ive seen.

Do you not agree regarding the tempo, effort and confidence in the last two games?

I don't agree on it being Evans fault if we don't go up. Yes its his team, but its a good one and in a good position.

But its not a good team Jamie, that is my point - the 01/02 team would smash these, they wouldn't cope with the midfield we had back then. What Evans did is make us hard to beat (using mostly Murrays defenders) what he didn't do is create a high tempo side - yet you seem to think two games in Flitcroft should sort it out and get us playing a high tempo! I reiterate that if we do not go up this season, Evans is to blame, he spent the money, he brought the players in and then left before the job was done. I will give Flitcroft at least a full year, time to build his side in the summer and just keep my fingers crossed he manages to get us over the line this season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:36 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:
Jamie wrote:Not sure how taking over a well financed, experienced and quality packed side, 3 points from automatic promotion with 13 games left is an 'unenviable' task. He rightly jumped at the chance, as would many others given half a chance.

Evans going was bound cause some issues. But DF knew that, as did JR. It would of been a key point when they spoke so really isn't an excuse. His first task was to repair any damage and get moral up. From the last two games we look devoid of confidence so its fair to say hes not done a great job so far in that regard.

None of the players are his signings. Evans signings were, at the kindest, hit and miss and our best players remain those signed by Murray. I sense you are keen to jump on Flitcroft as soon as you can. Criticising him as you are after just two undefeated games is laughable. If we don't go up this season it will be Evans fault, his players, he dumped us.

You might be right, bellwhiff but, like you are, Jamie is entitled to profer his opinion.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Rob wrote:

But its not a good team Jamie, that is my point - the 01/02 team would smash these, they wouldn't cope with the midfield we had back then. What Evans did is make us hard to beat (using mostly Murrays defenders) what he didn't do is create a high tempo side - yet you seem to think two games in Flitcroft should sort it out and get us playing a high tempo! I reiterate that if we do not go up this season, Evans is to blame, he spent the money, he brought the players in and then left before the job was done. I will give Flitcroft at least a full year, time to build his side in the summer and just keep my fingers crossed he manages to get us over the line this season.

Spot on.

Not at all sure how we can even begin to judge Flipflop yet. Evans dropped us in a hole. Failure this season would be purely down to his design.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:04 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:

You might be right, bellwhiff but, like you are, Jamie is entitled to profer his opinion.

Could you point out where I was denying him his opinion ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:

Could you point out where I was denying him his opinion ?

No. But you were DISMISSIVE of his opinion in your usual ascerbic manner.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Rob wrote:

Spot on.

Not at all sure how we can even begin to judge Flipflop yet. Evans dropped us in a hole. Failure this season would be purely down to his design.

I agree SE has dropped us in a hole. We were, as he predicted doing much better in the second half of the season. We had gained the momentum to gain the third spot, his decision to move on has stopped the momentum. JR must be feel badly let down, but he has recruited a manager who has been doing well in league 2 to try and keep things on track. I am still hopeful we can get promoted but it will be much harder. If we fail it won't be Flitcroft's fault but the fault of the guy who moved on to "better things" despite the full backing of a chairman. We should fully get behind the new regime and forget the previous one.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 pm

I think we need to give the new gaffer time to get to know the players and find out their strengths and weaknesses. Its like any manager in any job, it takes time to get to know your staff. We face some tough games over the next few weeks. I thought we were ok against Colchester to start with but lost the momentum. Colchester were never going to be a pushover. If the ref hadn't have come out for the start of the 2nd half and decided to have a meltdown including a blatant potential goal denying hand ball, then we may be in a different position now but it's gone so lets move on.
Old timer
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:No. But you were DISMISSIVE of his opinion in your usual ascerbic manner.

So ? Who are you to act as moderator and judge ?
Get back in your box, Poindexter.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:No. But you were DISMISSIVE of his opinion in your usual ascerbic manner.

You don’t get any better, I have never been studious, and I don’t lack social confidence. If you’re gonna use clever allusions then please try to be more accurate.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:40 pm

You two should really get a room.

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

You don’t get any better, I have never been studious, and I don’t lack social confidence. If you’re gonna use clever allusions then please try to be more accurate.
Tel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Tel wrote:You two should really get a room.

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I’d sooner saw my thumb off, Tel. :lol:
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Rob wrote:

Spot on.

I agree SE has dropped us in a hole. We were, as he predicted doing much better in the second half of the season. We had gained the momentum to gain the third spot, his decision to move on has stopped the momentum. JR must be feel badly let down, but he has recruited a manager who has been doing well in league 2 to try and keep things on track. I am still hopeful we can get promoted but it will be much harder. If we fail it won't be Flitcroft's fault but the fault of the guy who moved on to "better things" despite the full backing of a chairman. We should fully get behind the new regime and forget the previous one.

Bang on Andy. People talk about a new manager bounce, but that is invariably when teams are struggling, not when they are in the position that we were. DF comes in with little to gain. If he gets us up automatically or up through playoffs, then some, (Norman for one), would still say it was SE's players, work already done, blah, blah, blah).
In terms of MTFC, SE had unprecedented support from JR and threw it back in his face - tells you all you need to know about Ferguson's master of the stool.
Tel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Expat Stag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:35 pm

This is what happens when you flood TV sports coverage with ex players instead of educated journalists & experts.

Juve have made 2 out of the last 3 CL finals yet predictably they said Spurs "bottled" it after bossing them off the park for 184mins. Hive mind buzzwords that are completely devoid of context.
Hope I'm wrong
Expat Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:56 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Tel wrote:You two should really get a room.

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I’d sooner saw my thumb off, Tel. :lol:

I’d sooner saw your thumbs off too.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 am

No doubt, Whiffy. No doubt.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous