{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

First game under Flitcroft - what's the style of play?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: First game under Flitcroft - what's the style of play?

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:One game, he can barely remember all the players names, jeez!

Lincoln were Lincoln, long ball to Rhead scrap for the ball, that's how they got the goal. It was an ugly game and that suited Lincoln, but at times we did play some decent stuff and lots of times Logan played it out from the back. I think I might have been at a different game to some on this thread. A point was just about right, as Flitcroft said in his honest, not about me, interview on Radio Forest.

Never mind come for it he should have saved it. Slow motion dive again.

I agree Rob. Need to see their goal again as was a long ball deep into the box, Logan should have come for it as he had ages to watch it.

Thoughts on the ref Rob as I don't usually comment but tonight I have to say he was awful
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:One game, he can barely remember all the players names, jeez!

Lincoln were Lincoln, long ball to Rhead scrap for the ball, that's how they got the goal. It was an ugly game and that suited Lincoln, but at times we did play some decent stuff and lots of times Logan played it out from the back. I think I might have been at a different game to some on this thread. A point was just about right, as Flitcroft said in his honest, not about me, interview on Radio Forest.

I agree Rob. Need to see their goal again as was a long ball deep into the box, Logan should have come for it as he had ages to watch it.

Thoughts on the ref Rob as I don't usually comment but tonight I have to say he was awful

He did seem to lose it and there were a few odd decisions, notably the clear attempted trip on MacDonald which bizarrely he gave against us, presumably for a dive - the laws of the game are clear, trip or attempt to trip, so whether there was contact or not clearly the Lincoln player did not get the ball. Had a poor view of Rhys' second yellow and no idea why Waterfall was sent off - on the radio on the way home they said it may have been for throwing a bottle into the crowd. Ref should certainly have booked Palmer for his celebrations, just standing there goading fans is clearly a yellow card every day of the week.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 pm

SINA STAG wrote:Ollie Palmer bloody Ollie Palmer for crying out loud really hard to swallow that chicken neck runner getting on the end of a knock down from shrek

Don't get any worse than that I'm afraid to say...

Exactly how I feel . we didn't play with any real passion or desire .
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:54 pm

When Evans left i thought: "Now we will see if Evans' 'rule by fear' was bringing out the best in the players".

It is only one game in .... but i fear that Evans' nastiness might have been effective in some respects - in terms of ensuring that players chase down every ball and play with an intensity. Time will tell. But we need to up the ante in our next few games.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby lad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:56 pm

Still sat back to much in the second half for my liking!
lad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sutton Amber » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:14 am

Never before have I seen Rose and McDonald in the centre of defence making headed clearances. Surely the creative players should be outside the box waiting to set up a break-away. Flitcroft must have ordered everyone to defend en masse rather than hold their positions. Such a disappointing game. Was a surprise to no-one how Lincoln played but we just gave it back to them too easily and didn't offer enough going the other way.
Sutton Amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:16 am

Sutton Amber wrote:Never before have I seen Rose and McDonald in the centre of defence making headed clearances. Surely the creative players should be outside the box waiting to set up a break-away. Flitcroft must have ordered everyone to defend en masse rather than hold their positions. Such a disappointing game. Was a surprise to no-one how Lincoln played but we just gave it back to them too easily and didn't offer enough going the other way.

Rose is not a creative player. He's been pulled back for corners all season as he's our best header of the ball.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 am

SINA STAG wrote:You know it was going to be one of those nights when the management team.got to the dugouts before anyone noticed they were on the pitch keep up Alan on the PA oh n no away attendance announced either...

Flitcroft was announced early to take pressure off team and the attendance which was announced was 6081
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:32 am

The One wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:You know it was going to be one of those nights when the management team.got to the dugouts before anyone noticed they were on the pitch keep up Alan on the PA oh n no away attendance announced either...

Flitcroft was announced early to take pressure off team and the attendance which was announced was 6081

think you need your ears waxing out 6091
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:36 am

part time pete wrote:
The One wrote:

think you need your ears waxing out 6091

I have appointment next Thursday ENT 10am
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:12 am

I am worried about the change of management, nothing to do with tonights game but I think we are going to struggle a bit now.
Why was Mellis not given time?
And Spencer must never play again.
Hope Flitcroft has got that message.
If Lincoln make the play offs this would be a bad one for us to draw if we have to go that route.
Automatics far from certain for us.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 am

Having beat them away and drawn at home i would take them over Swindon any day.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:22 am

Al's doing what we wanted in not giving the away figure.
Now he doesn't he still gets slated.

Stagsnet eh ! :roll:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:42 am

Didn't want to post last night as it would be knee-jerk reaction
But this morning, on refection, is was still in my opinion the worst performance at home since the days of Murray.
And to make matters worse, Lincoln were one of the worst teams to come to Field Mill for quite a while.
The strikers looked totally disinterested, especially Rose. The defence looked so shaky, and the midfield couldn't string two passes together. It looks like Flitcroft's tactics are to play deeper, but that's not a tactic that will get the crowds flooding back, even if we grind out wins. All the momentum we had seems to have evaporated. Dark, worrying days I'm afraid. If we don't win on Saturday I don't think we'll even make the play-offs. And before I get slated for these comments, these are my own private opinions, and when I'm at the Mill I support the team and boss 100%. Just can't help feeling that Dempster or even Cox back would have been a better choice to see us through until the end of the season, rather than a rushed appointment that we're stuck with for a few years.
FarnieStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:50 am

Some sympathy with the view of Farnie, I do think the Radfords rushed in a bit quick there but guessing they wanted to preserve the good run we are having.

Iam really not sure about Flitcroft /Futcher and cant put my finger on it but don't see them being here for the long long term somehow.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am

It's clear we have made the wrong appointment. If Radford acts now it's not too late to save our season.

Flitcroft out.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 am

Lincoln play in a certain way which we wont come up against every week.

However it may well be a concern that the lack of constant bellowing from Evans touchline antics has took the players foot off the pedal in terms of both tempo with the ball and closing down the opposition.

Several players had off days. King was poor, although his early yellow which might have been red effectively took him out the game. Benning had a bad game.

The substitutions were bizarre, with both Spencer and Atkinson being poor under the previous manager and with much better options on the bench.

I dont understand the introduction of Spencer. He doesnt hold the ball up well and his goal threat is zero, and we had Angol on the bench who would have been looking to prove something against his former club. ( And hes also doing the business in the reserves)

And CJ, I confess to not being a fan, but his football brain is zero. Unless you give him the ball with a free run 30 yards from goal on the left touchline, his contribution is zero.

The most damning was probably our surrender to Lincoln 15 minutes from time. We had no-one brave enough to keep hold of the ball. A goal was going to be inevitable given their free reign to put balls in the box at will. We handed them a point, and they deserved one.
Its 1 game though, so lets hope it wont be a recurrring theme in terms of how the players are reacting to a new manager and the way he wants them to play.
Last edited by victor A block on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
victor A block
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kenwood » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am

I don’t think you can judge a team after playing Lincoln.

Everything they do is about getting the ball into your box. It’s not too difficult for a professional footballer to set himself first touch and then deliver a 40yard diagonal onto the head of Reade.. which is pretty much all they do.

Last night a few of our players tired which we haven’t seen before, which shows what a different game it is chasing the ball back towards your own goal as opposed to being on the front foot pressing sides forcing mistakes higher up the pitch.

What we didn’t do is be brave and take care of the ball once we did get it. But that is not the way we have played all season so to expect the players to do that last night was unrealistic.

No great damage done. 4 points from Lincoln this season is a good return and DF would have learnt more from his players last night.

Some massive games ahead get behind the manager and players
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 am

Whether we think so or not, Atkinson is highly rated outside of our club. He was one of the names mentioned by Flitcroft straight away when talking about an impressive squad.

Also, Atkinson/Spencer/Potter/Anderson are all seen as reliable players who can help protect a lead, whereas Angol/Mellis/OSJ are not trusted, the first two because of their tendency to switch off.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 am

FarnieStag wrote:Didn't want to post last night as it would be knee-jerk reaction
But this morning, on refection, is was still in my opinion the worst performance at home since the days of Murray.
And to make matters worse, Lincoln were one of the worst teams to come to Field Mill for quite a while.
The strikers looked totally disinterested, especially Rose. The defence looked so shaky, and the midfield couldn't string two passes together. It looks like Flitcroft's tactics are to play deeper, but that's not a tactic that will get the crowds flooding back, even if we grind out wins. All the momentum we had seems to have evaporated. Dark, worrying days I'm afraid. If we don't win on Saturday I don't think we'll even make the play-offs. And before I get slated for these comments, these are my own private opinions, and when I'm at the Mill I support the team and boss 100%. Just can't help feeling that Dempster or even Cox back would have been a better choice to see us through until the end of the season, rather than a rushed appointment that we're stuck with for a few years.

It wasn't even the worst performance ths season. :roll:
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:34 am

it was nowhere near as bad as chesterfield at home, and we still didn't lose against them . we've had some right stinkers under Evans, Cheltenham away, Colchester away , Barnet away
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:37 am

Sneag wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:Didn't want to post last night as it would be knee-jerk reaction

It wasn't even the worst performance ths season. :roll:

I agree, some folk really do like to go over the top!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 am

Iwatched it last night ,think lincolns style of football had us on the back foot a lot ,but it was flitcrofts first game ,i think we will learn from it and for me its a good appointment ,lets remember its a derby game anything can and usually does happen in these types of game,theres gonna be a lot of twists and turns before the season ends weve just got to keep our nerve and our belief ,still think we will get automatic :mtfc:
spanishstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Norman wrote:Little concerned tbh . It was shocking how we constantly gave the ball away when on the attack . Thought under Evans we would be certs to go up ,not so sure now after tonight. The defence were all at sea at times.

Bet you couldn’t wait to post that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Whether we think so or not, Atkinson is highly rated outside of our club. He was one of the names mentioned by Flitcroft straight away when talking about an impressive squad.

Also, Atkinson/Spencer/Potter/Anderson are all seen as reliable players who can help protect a lead, whereas Angol/Mellis/OSJ are not trusted, the first two because of their tendency to switch off.

Agreed, Atkinson should have started last night. He's the only midfielder with a bit of bite. Two midgets, a gangly winger and a young lad with a handful of league games were never going to stand up to Lincolns physicality.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum