{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Scouts

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Scouts

Postby ironbru » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Anyone have any idea who the clubs scouts are these days?

The last I heard (2016) guys called Stuart Gray and Gee Evans were the scouts?

Surely Gee Evans (SE's brother) cannot still be on the payroll
ironbru
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Scouts

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:01 pm

ironbru wrote:Anyone have any idea who the clubs scouts are these days?

Back in the day, I was a Cub Scout (Ladybrook St Mary’s)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:11 pm

I would have thought girl guides would have been more apt for you.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:34 pm

HU7stag wrote:I would have thought girl guides would have been more apt for you.

Chortle
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:12 pm

The last scout I knew was Paul Ogden when Cox was here but I know he’s been gone a while now.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:25 pm

ironbru wrote:Anyone have any idea who the clubs scouts are these days?

as you say. I'm sure Evans' brother will now be working for him at Peterborough. I would guess that Flitcroft will use people that he knows, that's normally the way it works.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:42 pm

HU7stag wrote:I would have thought girl guides would have been more apt for you.

Daft beggar! The equivalent would be a brownie! Horrible uniform! No woggle!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Im present at a lot of U23 games at St Georges Park and almost every team in this division is represented with scouts or coaches watching the young players and Mansfield never have anyone there.
Sedgwick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ironbru » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:31 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Im present at a lot of U23 games at St Georges Park and almost every team in this division is represented with scouts or coaches watching the young players and Mansfield never have anyone there.

If this is true, please take note Mansfield and get ur ass's over there to these games, or these young stars will be playing against us in the future.
ironbru
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bros » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:25 am

Sedgwick wrote:Im present at a lot of U23 games at St Georges Park and almost every team in this division is represented with scouts or coaches watching the young players and Mansfield never have anyone there.

That sums up the Scottish managers approach to youth development
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby abc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:56 am

Bros wrote:

He might be a total slimeball but let's not forget we have one the strongest squads we have ever had.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 am

abc wrote:
Bros wrote:

He might be a total slimeball but let's not forget we have one the strongest squads we have ever had.

Because he got funded.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:34 am

bellwhiff wrote:
abc wrote:
Bros wrote:

Because he got funded.

And ?
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 am

i never thought he would be here next season, however to jump ship now was unforgivable
the king is dead, long live the king
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:49 am

abc wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
abc wrote:
Bros wrote:

Because he got funded.

And ?

Sorry. Forgot it was you.

Out.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:20 am

In his last interview "we went for McNulty but couldn't afford him- we went for someone else but couldn't afford him"

Yet we've got about 8 players on a wage who hardly ever play.

Said it from the start we've got 2 decent teams when we could potentially have 1 galactical busting team.

Yep we people say about our brilliant squad depth- but times running out for a fair few of them to have made any impact on this campaign and I'd suggest that the money spent on them would have been better spent elsewhere. And that's purely Evans' fault. Having a dig at one Johnny Radford saying we couldn't afford McNulty :angry:
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Evans biggest advantage is recruitment, he knows a good player.

You can’t take that away from Him just because he got ‘funded’
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Conker wrote:Evans biggest advantage is recruitment, he knows a good player.

You can’t take that away from Him just because he got ‘funded’

Tbf we all knew the decent players he brought in. Murray got the others so Evans for me ain’t all that. To cry like he has and to lie like he has is pathetic given we possibly have the best owners in the bottom three divisions !!! I’m so frickin glad he’s gone the fat Scottish raspberry!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Nah that’s being unfair, knowing the players has nothing to do with it.

He’s built a fantastic squad with good money, but he’s got it very finely balanced, it’s easier said than done.

That being said tactically, Evans is nothing special at all.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Conker wrote:Nah that’s being unfair, knowing the players has nothing to do with it.

He’s built a fantastic squad with good money, but he’s got it very finely balanced, it’s easier said than done.

As I said on another thread, 5 of the starting eleven are Murray signings - I'd say his transfer dealings have been hit and miss, we have some pretty high wage earners not playing. I'd love to see him manage a club without a big budget, I think that would show him for what he is.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:Nah that’s being unfair, knowing the players has nothing to do with it.

As I said on another thread, 5 of the starting eleven are Murray signings - I'd say his transfer dealings have been hit and miss, we have some pretty high wage earners not playing. I'd love to see him manage a club without a big budget, I think that would show him for what he is.

Highest wage earner Butcher...and where is he?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Rob wrote:

I think you are letting how you feel about Evans personality sway over this.

Rob, he did a fantastic job with Crawley BEFORE the money came in, he also kept Rotherham up in the championship with one of if not the smallest budgets in the league.

These Murray signings didn’t perform under Murray, look at ‘em now. All our players are high earners pretty much he was given a budget for fantastic strength in depth and he achieved that.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:16 pm

i think all the murray signings did perform under murray. we knew they were good players then and they are still good players now. i cant think of one of them that strikes me as massively improved.

it's all about the money unfortunately. evans had more money and had got a better team. i dont think any of the players that signed wanted to sign for steve evans, they wanted to sign for the biggest salary they could get.

so for me the change in manager is pretty insignificant. evans, as has been said, was no tactical genius.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:28 pm

on reflection i think benning and hamilton have massively improved.
how much of that is down to evans? i dont think a lot.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:

I think you are letting how you feel about Evans personality sway over this.

Rob, he did a fantastic job with Crawley BEFORE the money came in, he also kept Rotherham up in the championship with one of if not the smallest budgets in the league.

These Murray signings didn’t perform under Murray, look at ‘em now. All our players are high earners pretty much he was given a budget for fantastic strength in depth and he achieved that.

Pearce, Benning and Bennett were excellent under Murray, it was at the other end of the pitch where we struggled. Evans wasn't even picking Pearce at one stage, he was also leaving Danny Rose on the bench and of course Mal went missing completely for a month or so until poor results dictated he bring him back as a better attacking option. He has left us in a decent position but nothing you wouldn't expect from any manager given the resources lavished on him, which I remind you, are the most ever afforded to any manager in our history. So yes I don't like him and maybe that does mean I am a little more harsh on him, but his success has always been down to the money he has been given by wealthy owners - Crawley included.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum