{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Memorial match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Memorial match

Postby 88BenM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:08 pm

So, before anybody takes offence to what I'm about to post, please don't, it isn't intended to cause any offence or upset, it is just an idea.

In recent weeks and months as the season has gone on, MTFC have held a minutes applause for dedicated fans that are sadly, no longer with us. This I'm sure is very special to the families and friends of the dearly departed.

Unfortunately, we have seen this happen throughout most matches in the last few months, it's terrible to lose a loved one I completely understand that.

My idea is something that I'm sure I've seen at another club when travelling away with the Stags, I genuinely can't remember the club that did it, it may even be Coventry but they had an 'in memory of...' before the game and flashed up those images of the people onto the scoreboard and the entire ground stood in applause before kick off to pay respects.

Why don't we dedicate 1 game a season to Stags fans no longer with us? A memorial game where fans can have their loved ones on the scoreboard or featured in the match day programme.

Like I say, just an idea.
88BenM
First Team
First Team

Re: Memorial match

Postby Beano » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Personally I think it's a great idea.

The minutes applause at xx minutes for mr/mrs xx is becoming so regular it's starting to lose its meaning.

1 memorial game per season with pictures during a minutes applause would in my opinion mean much more. All the families could attend and perhaps also be invited to an additional event in the lounge pre/post match.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Excellent idea.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:51 pm

I too think that is an excellent idea.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Im all in favour
robeyre
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bridgford Stag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Yep...would go along with that.

I can't elaborate any more on that other than say that is a good idea.....maybe an acknowledgement (does that do justice..I don't know but would hope so?) in the Programme?
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:05 pm

88BenM wrote:So, before anybody takes offence to what I'm about to post, please don't, it isn't intended to cause any offence or upset, it is just an idea.

In recent weeks and months as the season has gone on, MTFC have held a minutes applause for dedicated fans that are sadly, no longer with us. This I'm sure is very special to the families and friends of the dearly departed.

Unfortunately, we have seen this happen throughout most matches in the last few months, it's terrible to lose a loved one I completely understand that.

My idea is something that I'm sure I've seen at another club when travelling away with the Stags, I genuinely can't remember the club that did it, it may even be Coventry but they had an 'in memory of...' before the game and flashed up those images of the people onto the scoreboard and the entire ground stood in applause before kick off to pay respects.

Why don't we dedicate 1 game a season to Stags fans no longer with us? A memorial game where fans can have their loved ones on the scoreboard or featured in the match day programme.

That is a superb idea, mate.

I think that it would probably best be done before kick-off at the last game of the season, but might need a couple of minutes to run through a reel of pictures in a timely and respectful way. It would take a bit of organising, but our sure our current team behind the scenes would make a good job of it.

Tel.
Tel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Sorry Ben, I'd not read your post before putting my own on the Roger Swain thread. Very well put pal and I thoroughly agree.

I absolutely don't want to stop these tributes or show any disrespect, however, before the club ties itself in an ever increasing circle of repeating itself perhaps a rethink is in order. Ben's idea would be more than suitable. It could be made in to an event rather than just another minutes applause lost amongst the others.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm

mentioned this several times to mates at games . think it is time for a day of the dead. works well in other countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

make footballs day the first home game of November . Photographs and names of family and friends lost in a supplement to the normal programmes . Faces on scoreboard during a minutes silence .
Last edited by one f in mansfield on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm

This is an excellent idea
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Expat Stag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm

This'll get the kids queuing up to watch Stags

Wth is with this local obituary obsession. It's like listening to the old Domestos bleach advert whenever i get the old man on phone.

Dad: Do you remember so n so?
Me: No
Dad: You dooooo. He used to play left back for Sintered Products(i was 8 yrs old watching dad play Sunday Lg footy).
Me: Oh yeahhhh(lying). How is he?
Dad: DEAD!!!!!!!
Last edited by Expat Stag on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hope I'm wrong
Expat Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Tel wrote:
88BenM wrote:So, before anybody takes offence to what I'm about to post, please don't, it isn't intended to cause any offence or upset, it is just an idea.

I think that it would probably best be done before kick-off at the last game of the season, but might need a couple of minutes to run through a reel of pictures in a timely and respectful way. It would take a bit of organising, but our sure our current team behind the scenes would make a good job of it.

Tel.

In an ideal world Tel yes that would be great...but if it were a last game of the season when 'everything' was resting on it would that be a good thing?

Just feel and thinking a bit more about it that a Programme acknowledgement/reference would be softer/more reverant in their loss?
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Our seasons normally die in the Autumn.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Expat Stag wrote:This'll get the kids queuing up to watch Stags

Wth is with this local obituary obsession. It's like listening to the old Domestos bleach advert whenever i get the old man on phone.

Dad: Do you remember so n so?
Me: No
Dad: You dooooo. He used to play left back for Sintered Products(i was 8 yrs old watching dad play Sunday Lg footy).
Me: Oh yeahhhh(lying). How is he?
Dad: DEAD!!!!!!!

Yes, because this thread is about enticing children back to FM.

Why do you think teaching children about appreciating the memory of someone would be a bad thing? Your made up scenario is absolutely ludicrous too and certainly not funny.

If people have any real objections to this, then I'd understand. You've spent too much time out of the country, your arrogance is patronising.
88BenM
First Team
First Team

Postby Expat Stag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:16 pm

88BenM wrote: You've spent too much time out of the country, your arrogance is patronising.
I'm the loyal opposition to everything.

Fwiw, I find America's constant eagerness to fetishize their flag & their military's fallen just as bizarre & disturbing
Last edited by Expat Stag on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope I'm wrong
Expat Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:18 pm

...lets get back on Topic on what is a credible move forward?...

Suggestions welcome I'm sure....

Hope the Club will look into this and take on board fans and grieved ones views in a sympathetic way - I'm sure they will.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Bridgford Stag wrote:
Tel wrote:

Tel.

In an ideal world Tel yes that would be great...but if it were a last game of the season when 'everything' was resting on it would that be a good thing?

Just feel and thinking a bit more about it that a Programme acknowledgement/reference would be softer/more reverant in their loss?

Bridgie.

I did think about that before I posted. I actually think it would most likely serve to be inspiritional for the players out there wearing OUR shirt and remembering our own.

It is the one part of the sports review of the year, I still like to make sure I watch, when they run the reel of the figures in sport that have passed away during the year.

... and I do know what Expat is saying, (though I don't agree), but I feel that concentrating this in a 'one-off', is likely to have more poignance and meaning. A lot of the people we are talking about here will be friends and relatives of fellow staggies and I think that something is necessary to replace what is happening at present.

An alternative game to consider might be the Boxing Day/New Years day game, depending how they fell ?
Tel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby 88BenM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:52 pm

For me, low key games should be where we focus our attentions on the family and friends, like if you were going to choose a game this year, the Barnet game would have been absolutely ideal in my opinion.
88BenM
First Team
First Team

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 pm

The game you are referring to was Blackpool away on New Years Day, they listed all the people that had passed away in the previous year in one go, whilst the crowd showed their appreciation.
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby 88BenM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:41 am

Oak Tree Stag wrote:The game you are referring to was Blackpool away on New Years Day, they listed all the people that had passed away in the previous year in one go, whilst the crowd showed their appreciation.

That's the one! Knew I had seen it somewhere.
88BenM
First Team
First Team

Postby SINA STAG » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:25 am

Perhaps the home match during the Christmas period would be a good time to reflect on people we've lost not just in the year that's coming to an end but to family n friends we love n longer with us.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:09 am

Does anyone know if whilst supporters are showing their respect
that during the one minutes applause, has a team ever scored?

It would be interesting to know what the fans reaction would be.
I'm sure we would all complete the one minute clap and then celebrate
the goal. Or would the respect go out of the window and everyone go mental?
robbingdog
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Warsop Stag » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 am

Excellent idea. I believe that Rotherham show a montage of all fans and ex-players that have passed away, on their scoreboard once a year.

I may be wrong but I’m sure a Miller friend told me they did it at the nearest home game to the end of December.
Warsop Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stags4eva » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:07 am

robbingdog wrote:Does anyone know if whilst supporters are showing their respect

Personally i think 95% would forget the applause and go mental at the goal.

I agree with whats been said above. It's becoming every game now and losing it's meaning, one game around christmas time to remember those lost in that year would be the way forward for me.
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bristolstag » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:28 am

stags4eva wrote:
robbingdog wrote:Does anyone know if whilst supporters are showing their respect

Personally i think 95% would forget the applause and go mental at the goal.

I agree with whats been said above. It's becoming every game now and losing it's meaning, one game around christmas time to remember those lost in that year would be the way forward for me.

A goal is better than a bit of a clap! Hopefully my passing is celebrated with a last minute scorcher of a goal !
Bristolstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum