{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

video: Swindon game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

video: Swindon game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:08 pm

my brief highlights

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: video: Swindon game

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Krystian Pearce should just have taken that Swindon player out after Alex MacDonald lost control of the ball.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Had enough chances to get at least a point....

At least we only have to wait until Tuesday to start the final run in to the 1st division.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Oh Conrad, made other good saves though.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 am

Think Logan deserves a break he usually saves most of them!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

The last 3 goals we have conceded have been due to bad individual mistakes and not good play,
Hopefully we can cut these out and make teams earn their goals against us
northern stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

SINA STAG wrote:Had enough chances to get at least a point....

At least we only have to wait until Tuesday to start the final run in to the 1st division.....

Whilst i did not think we played poorly i certainly cannot remember other than the 1 that Hemmings attempted to lob the keeper any other clear cut chances we created.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Having watched these highlights I think we were lucky the score was not more than 1-0. One problem the defence has is right full back. As much as I like Paul Anderson as a player he is not a natural full back. There are several examples in these highlights that help to show the weakness. First when Keisha Anderson took him on and cut back in on to his right foot. A natural full back would have took him wide not allowing a dangerous shot on target which took a class save from the keeper to prevent a goal. The goal Swindon scored on the break away, Anderson had the chance to cover the goal scorer before he received the ball, but decided to cover a player in the centre of defence when there was two stags players behind him to do that very job. This decision allowed time and space for the scorer to set himself and hit the target with another powerful shot which unfortunately beat Logan on his near post. Had Anderson gone out wide to cover the right player he should then take him wide to prevent the shot. And last but not least the cross to the far post where the attacking player easily out jumps Anderson due to the miss match in natural height luckily Bennett hacks it off the line. Love Anderson as a player but as a winger he is more effective. Bennett should be playing full back or try one of the new on loan signings but if something is not addressed at this position we are more likely to end up in the lottery playoffs than an outright automatic promotion spot IMO.

:coys:
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:08 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:Having watched these highlights I think we were lucky the score was not more than 1-0. One problem the defence has is right full back. As much as I like Paul Anderson as a player he is not a natural full back. There are several examples in these highlights that help to show the weakness. First when Keisha Anderson took him on and cut back in on to his right foot. A natural full back would have took him wide not allowing a dangerous shot on target which took a class save from the keeper to prevent a goal. The goal Swindon scored on the break away, Anderson had the chance to cover the goal scorer before he received the ball, but decided to cover a player in the centre of defence when there was two stags players behind him to do that very job. This decision allowed time and space for the scorer to set himself and hit the target with another powerful shot which unfortunately beat Logan on his near post. Had Anderson gone out wide to cover the right player he should then take him wide to prevent the shot. And last but not least the cross to the far post where the attacking player easily out jumps Anderson due to the miss match in natural height luckily Bennett hacks it off the line. Love Anderson as a player but as a winger he is more effective. Bennett should be playing full back or try one of the new on loan signings but if something is not addressed at this position we are more likely to end up in the lottery playoffs than an outright automatic promotion spot IMO.

Agree he's not a natural full back but our other right back options don't fill me with confidence either. And I'm afraid Anderson doesn't get into the team as a winger at the moment.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:Having watched these highlights I think we were lucky the score was not more than 1-0. One problem the defence has is right full back. As much as I like Paul Anderson as a player he is not a natural full back. There are several examples in these highlights that help to show the weakness. First when Keisha Anderson took him on and cut back in on to his right foot. A natural full back would have took him wide not allowing a dangerous shot on target which took a class save from the keeper to prevent a goal. The goal Swindon scored on the break away, Anderson had the chance to cover the goal scorer before he received the ball, but decided to cover a player in the centre of defence when there was two stags players behind him to do that very job. This decision allowed time and space for the scorer to set himself and hit the target with another powerful shot which unfortunately beat Logan on his near post. Had Anderson gone out wide to cover the right player he should then take him wide to prevent the shot. And last but not least the cross to the far post where the attacking player easily out jumps Anderson due to the miss match in natural height luckily Bennett hacks it off the line. Love Anderson as a player but as a winger he is more effective. Bennett should be playing full back or try one of the new on loan signings but if something is not addressed at this position we are more likely to end up in the lottery playoffs than an outright automatic promotion spot IMO.

Agree he's not a natural full back but our other right back options don't fill me with confidence either. And I'm afraid Anderson doesn't get into the team as a winger at the moment.

Yeah it is a problem and I assume White will go back into the right back spot for the Newport game.

What is your thoughts Martin on who best plays at right back from the existing squad?
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:28 pm

I love to see Paul Anderson in the team because he generally adds a bit of energy and tempo to our play along with Alex MacDonald, CJ Hamilton, Mal Benning and Danny Rose (and even Krystian Pearce at times!). However Hayden White can be very exciting driving forward as well.

We just need to be a bit more creative around the penalty area at times to create opportunities for shots at goal. We hit too many long balls in the 2nd half on Saturday.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Yeah it is a problem and I assume White will go back into the right back spot for the Newport game.

What is your thoughts Martin on who best plays at right back from the existing squad?

I think Bennett is the best defender at right back, but White offers more going forward, and would generally be my first choice. Anderson had been doing well but had a tough time against Swindon, especially against Matt Taylor, in my opinion the best left sided player in league two. I expect White to come in against Newport.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Vice President » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm

It was unfortunate that Diamond has been given so much paternity leave. Given Swindon's strength on the left, we should have played Bennett at Right Back and Diamond in the centre. But hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Are you saying the club should have refused Zander’s legal right to take paternity leave after the birth of his child.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm

part time pete wrote:Are you saying the club should have refused Zander’s legal right to take paternity leave after the birth of his child.

:lol: MTFC is also set to give birth to a new promotion this season after nine months in labour :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Haydn White is a better right back than Anderson and needs to be back there now his suspension is over. He may be a bit clumsy at times and make a mistake but his pace is a great asset to have in the defence and gets us out of trouble - He'd have got a lot closer to Taylor for the goal on Saturday for example. Anderson is a good player but doesn't have the pace to keep up with a lot of wingers and I think he is a good player to use off the bench when we want quality balls in the box.
BH_Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm

part time pete wrote:Are you saying the club should have refused Zander’s legal right to take paternity leave after the birth of his child.

No, I am not saying that he should have been refused his legal right. I would never say that. The operative word is 'unfortunate'. ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Jorge Grant I would say is the best left sided player in the league.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Jorge Grant I would say is the best left sided player in the league.

Taylor is a former Premier League player, who is still performing at a very high level despite being 36. He's been outstanding against us twice.

Grant is a very talented youngster. I am surprised he is still playing at League Two.

Slightly different types of players of course.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Haydn White is a better right back than Anderson and needs to be back there now his suspension is over. He may be a bit clumsy at times and make a mistake but his pace is a great asset to have in the defence and gets us out of trouble - He'd have got a lot closer to Taylor for the goal on Saturday for example. Anderson is a good player but doesn't have the pace to keep up with a lot of wingers and I think he is a good player to use off the bench when we want quality balls in the box.

Bennett is a better right back than White, I'd play him there, a back four is there to stop goals, as much as I like White, he has to work hard to get his place back in the side after that ridiculous red card. I'd play Diamond and Pearce at CB, with Bennett and Benning at full back.

Got my thermals ready, gonna be a cold one.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum