{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Robins scorefred sponsored by Rght in the mix

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Robins scorefred sponsored by Rght in the mix

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Logan perhaps could have saved it but why is our RB in the middle? Also The player shapes up like he's going to cross it. I believe he's shanked it.

Poor defensive positioning from Anderson. unless he was supposed to be at the heart of a back 3? I doubt it.

We gave Taylor a free shot on goal. Not great.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:14 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Logan perhaps could have saved it but why is our RB in the middle? Also The player shapes up like he's going to cross it. I believe he's shanked it.

Poor defensive positioning from Anderson. unless he was supposed to be at the heart of a back 3? I doubt it.

We gave Taylor a free shot on goal. Not great.

He was covering for Pearce who was further field and got caught out during the counter. Logan should have saved it yes, but Macca shouldn’t have lost it and Pearce had a chance to intercept. It was a goal full of errors from a stags point.
stagsfan6493
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Watch it again. Byrom was covering Pearce. Anderson even has a look. Taylor is the danger man. He should have closed him down. Pearce has plenty of pace to get back. As shown by him managing to beat Anderson to Taylor.

Far too narrow
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby OllertonStag » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Watching their goal it was really, really poor positioning by Logan and he could have used his feet to save much easier. But it's done and we move on to Tuesday :coys:
OllertonStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm

We move on ,dust ourselves down and be ready for Tuesday

Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 pm

We got pretty-much what we deserved this afternoon IMO.

Apart from the first half hour when we dominated play (during which time we didn’t trouble th keeper and they had two good opportunities).

We lost the ball clumsiliy in midfield, leaving our defence outnumbered and badly positioned when they scored.

After that, we harried and hustled, but Swindon rarely looked troubled.

Hamilton was a waste of a shirt today.

Ah well. A bad day at the office. We move on. Tuesday becomes VERY important now.

COYS
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:46 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:We got pretty-much what we deserved this afternoon IMO.

Apart from the first half hour when we dominated play (during which time we didn’t trouble th keeper and they had two good opportunities).

We lost the ball clumsiliy in midfield, leaving our defence outnumbered and badly positioned when they scored.

After that, we harried and hustled, but Swindon rarely looked troubled.

Hamilton was a waste of a shirt today.

Ah well. A bad day at the office. We move on. Tuesday becomes VERY important now.

COYS

:good_post:
Stags 2002
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:39 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:No one played well and the long ball didn’t work against them as they had tall players. Onto Tuesday!

I agree about the long ball which was dealt with very well by my Swindon MOM, Matt Preston. The sponsors gave it to Matty Taylor.

I thought Rhys Bennett and Alex MacDonald played really well for Mansfield closely followed by Mal Benning and Krystian Pearce. Conrad Logan made some good saves but unfortunately was at fault for Swindon's goal.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:12 am

SE seem to intimate last interview we will lose a few and this has turned out to be one of them
Draw would have been more preferable but Swindon might be a play off opponents so from that point of view not such a good result
Some tough ones coming up so all hands to the pump
This defeat is not the end of the world just a bit frustrating after a good run and we need the strikers to make odd chances count now and I hope Miller has been a good choice
How did he play today?
Strange how Hamilton had a bad one but that's footy sometimes
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:18 am

I thought Atkinson did well, but i am the only one thinking that Mellis was missed today and the pace of White as anderson struggled?

Swindon are a good team, but despite our terrible record against them they were beatable today. Atkinsons chance looked like it had gone in, and Hemmings has two good chances to put us in front.

Just puts pressure on Tuesdays game to ensure we get a result.
Stags 2002
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 am

tillydog123 wrote:SE seem to intimate last interview we will lose a few and this has turned out to be one of them
Draw would have been more preferable but Swindon might be a play off opponents so from that point of view not such a good result
Some tough ones coming up so all hands to the pump
This defeat is not the end of the world just a bit frustrating after a good run and we need the strikers to make odd chances count now and I hope Miller has been a good choice
How did he play today?
Strange how Hamilton had a bad one but that's footy sometimes

Ricky did ok, didn't really get much service in fairness. He came on for Byrom, we had 3 up top so automatically was going to reduce the level of service.

Regarding Hamilton i can only think of one occasion in the second half where he got played out wide and got past his man, does this for fun at home most games. Also had a lot of bad touches - which again has been reduced in recent games but reappeared today.

I can't just single him out though as others had bad days too.

The big positive for me is that yes it was a bad day, but in no way compared to the performances I witnessed at Colchester or Crawley - just need Tuesday to come around and put this one to bed. Steve said himself we ain't gonna win them all.
Stags 2002
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:29 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:No one played well and the long ball didn’t work against them as they had tall players. Onto Tuesday!

I agree about the long ball which was dealt with very well by my Swindon MOM, Matt Preston. The sponsors gave it to Matty Wilson.

I thought Rhys Bennett and Alex MacDonald played really well for Mansfield closely followed by Mal Benning and Krystian Pearce. Conrad Logan made some good saves but unfortunately was at fault for Swindon's goal.

The game is all about opinions. Benning, Bennett and Atkinson were the best of a bad bunch for me today. Pearce was also caught out for the goal which was annoying, meant we had a 3 on 2 counter and made Anderson's job harder.

MacDonald seemed to be playing a free role across the midfield which I felt didn't work as it left Anderson isolated away from home at right back. He seems to be more effective in the centre where he can play that free role without leaving our right side so empty for the opposition to use against us.

If we don't finish in the top 3 this season then i hope we avoid Swindon in the playoffs :coys:
stagsfan6493
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

I agree about the long ball which was dealt with very well by my Swindon MOM, Matt Preston. The sponsors gave it to Matty Wilson.

you mean Matt Taylor, Tippy, who was the sponsor's MOM. I thought Taylor was the best player on the pitch by some distance, as he was in the game at Mansfield. The difference between the sides, and the only player to consistently provide quality balls into the box. The best left sided player in the division in my opinion and easy to see why he played in the Premier League.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:04 am

I thought Matt Preston, Matty Taylor and Ollie Banks were Swindon's best players yesterday. They were the three who I would not have minded in our squad. I'd also still take Marc Richards even though I thought Bennett and Pearce dealt with him well yesterday.

Matty Taylor who is a great pro and has had a great career but still clearly loves playing pro football at the age of 36. Ollie Banks put some good crosses in from the right hand side in the 1st half and is always looking to pass the ball forward. I used to rate him when he played for the Spireites. Some Swindon fans I chatted too said that Preston and Taylor were usually their best two players.

I enjoyed the game yesterday. There was not much between the two teams yesterday and we lost the game due to getting caught out on a counter attack just like at Carlisle United although Conrad Logan should have saved Taylor's shot.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:12 am

Here is the Swindon fans' view of the game. The last comment is not a million miles away:

"I could see why Mansfield are up there, condense defence and midfield and play percentages in the final third ref breaks and mistakes, those breaks didn't happen yesterday. Great battle especially the last few minutes. Deserved win."

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=57291.165
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum