{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags U-turn on Frecklington deal

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags U-turn on Frecklington deal

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Disappointing but we move on. I'm sure we wil sign at least two players.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm

"Stags U Turn" is rubbish though and I do worry about people who lap up this crap sometimes. The player wanted to go to Lincoln. He's from there, his family live there.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Don't think the context here is a big deal or difficult to understand . I'm sure we did pull the plug for whatever reason - don't know why Foxy needs to be vitriolic. I would guess we didn't want to weight the deal anymore financially

All top players at this level will be in demand and decisions involve the player, agents and of course family concerns which makes things complicated. I think some on here need to grasp players are not goods to be bought and sold and they have a say

There is nothing to worry about - its the 11th January

With regard to Frecklington , there is no doubt he is a good signing and well regarded at Rotherham although if you look at the thread on their forum there is a view he will play 20/30 games a season .

No crisis here
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Who cares we move on.

If anything its made Lincoln eat up alot more of their budget than planned so restricts any further business.

We see alot of players moving which is only going to disrupt other teams as those players take time to settle, we have a very settled side - which is why I believe we will be stronger 2nd half of the season, we only need a few tweaks.

Players, very good players will become available as the window progresses and chains above start to complete. We need to keep funds to strike when we can.

:coys:
Stags 2002
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Think we’ve dodged a bullet here. He will play half a season for the top wage earner. Very good when fit but he’s got to stay fit!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 pm

I’d like to see us in for Grant...top player that we could make good money on and besides that would be nice to see what ‘bigal’ would have to say on twitter
S7AGS
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Would be an immense signing but if championship clubs looking at him seem unlikely.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Just watched the second interview with Lee Frecklington. He was always going to Lincoln. It's a dream move for him. As he says, "I've moved back to the City, my family is from here, my partners family are from here, my kids go to school in Lincoln and it was the perfect opportunity. If I was going to go somewhere outside of Rotherham then this is the place I wanted to be." Good luck to the bloke. I hope his dream move works out well for him. If it doesn't then he might have to think about moving out of Lincoln and away from his family who are all Lincoln fans! :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... re%20sport
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 pm

S7AGS wrote:I’d like to see us in for Grant...top player that we could make good money on and besides that would be nice to see what ‘bigal’ would have to say on twitter

We have absolutely no chance of signing Grant ........... And those people that say that 'we should get someone with a potential fee in future' need to understand that Evans (and JR) have a very definite short term plan. Evans wants promotion this season, he is not interested in long term investments. And rightly so.

It is disappointing about Frecklington, but it appears that his heart was always set on Lincoln for personal reasons. Steve Evans keeps getting rebuffed with his first choices (Hylton, Collins, McNulty etc.) ..... but we move on.

Here's hoping that we get that midfield-general and a striker that we so desperately need to get us promoted this season.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foxy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Fair play to Frecklington. Who do we have from our area who might want to "come home" one day?

I'd love to see Lee Gregory from Millwall- any others?
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Foxy wrote:Fair play to Frecklington. Who do we have from our area who might want to "come home" one day?

baptiste
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Foxy wrote:Fair play to Frecklington. Who do we have from our area who might want to "come home" one day?

baptiste

Don't need him, we have above average league 2 defenders. Above average league 2 striker is what we need. Lee Gregory would fit the bill.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:12 pm

Lee Gregory is a Sheffield lad though. Alex John Baptiste is a local lad who might want to play for his local club again.

Peter Morris came back and won Division 3 for us. It would be good to see him back at Field Mill one evening. I'm sure he could tell a few stories.

Stuart Boam came back but it did not work out very well for him. He still feels very bitter about his time at Mansfield as manager and has not wanted to come back for the reunions which is a great shame.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Lee Gregory is a Sheffield lad though. Alex John Baptiste is a local lad who might want to play for his local club again.

Peter Morris came back and won Division 3 for us. It would be good to see him back at Field Mill one evening. I'm sure he could tell a few stories.

Stuart Boam came back but it did not work out very well for him. He still feels very bitter about his time at Mansfield as manager and has not wanted to come back for the reunions which is a great shame.

Lee Gregory v Steve Evans, do you remember this :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/rotherham-steve-evans-millwall-lee-gregory

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 am

Having worked in Lincoln for a few years, i have the pleasure of a good few fans in my contacts so thanks a million with this one Evo, the wazz taking Gimp fans on my phone haven’t stopped taking the mess for the last 12hrs, hows about a little bragging rights for me today with at least one quality signing to fire back ehhhhh?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 am

Why are they taking the wazz. Looks like they've shelled out mega bucks for this level on an ageing midfielder who won't be box to box like they remember him, with a bit of an injury record.

Your turn will come when he's injured after 10 mins, think positive
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Having worked in Lincoln for a few years, i have the pleasure of a good few fans in my contacts so thanks a million with this one Evo, the wazz taking Gimp fans on my phone haven’t stopped taking the mess for the last 12hrs, hows about a little bragging rights for me today with at least one quality signing to fire back ehhhhh?

How’s their unbeaten Home run going?

Pretty sure he was using us to bump up his pay packet and sounds like it works. Sounds like we’ve helped make lincoln pay more for what was a formality. Hopefully this prices them out of the other players we’re after and sends a message that we won’t be held to ransom. Trying to be positive but we have missed out on a decent player.
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tmwilson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Why are they taking the wazz. Looks like they've shelled out mega bucks for this level on an ageing midfielder who won't be box to box like they remember him, with a bit of an injury record.

Your turn will come when he's injured after 10 mins, think positive

Exactly . Rotherham have stated that only Two teams were interested in him . With him being the world beater Lincoln fans think he is then I'm sure loads of teams would of been after his services . Injury prone player who has a couple of years left . Their fans are getting too big for their boots
We beat them to Angol . A young lad with a good scoring record and a bright future .
I for one are pleased we didn't get him . He would of been on the bench half the time . Give me Mellis all day long
They can brag as much as they want but they still signed Ollie Palmer .

I agree with Jimstag . He used the situation to his advantage . Cowley admitted they came in with a late offer . I'm sure we could of bettered it if we wanted to .
Frecklington knew what he was doing and so did Evan's .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:54 am

Still lives in Kirkby, could Stuart Boam still do a job for us, must be around late 60s now so we should only offer him a two year deal.

Joking apart, the lad Frecklington has done the right thing for his family and me himself, no different to any of us I hope.

Move on, there are plenty of players out there.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am

How different some of the views on this thread would have been if we had signed him :lol:

He would have been just what we needed, hopefully we'll get someone who can fit the role just as well. Lincoln are a real threat, you are deluded if you think otherwise.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 am

Rob wrote:How different some of the views on this thread would have been if we had signed him :lol:

He would have been just what we needed, hopefully we'll get someone who can fit the role just as well. Lincoln are a real threat, you are deluded if you think otherwise.

Probably correct but he definitely is injury prone...like Byrom!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 am

So you say Rob, we will never know but our club have signed enough Crocks in the past.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 am

Rob wrote:How different some of the views on this thread would have been if we had signed him :lol:

Spot on.

Frecklington is equal in quality to anything we have in midfield
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:06 am

adamstag wrote:

Spot on.

That’s a reason not to sign him then.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 am

bellwhiff wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Spot on.

That’s a reason not to sign him then.

:lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum