{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Hartlepool United

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Hartlepool United

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am

It's not looking good for Hartlepool United. I hope they do not end up being wound up like Hereford United, Halifax Town, Darlington and Chester City.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/ ... -1-8944564
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Hartlepool United

Postby robeyre » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It's not looking good for Hartlepool United. I hope they do not end up being wound up like Hereford United, Halifax Town, Darlington and Chester City.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/ ... -1-8944564

There but for the grace of God!! (and J R)
robeyre
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jimstag » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Sad times, there’s just too many examples of this in modern football.
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagone1959 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Always stayed over at Hartlepool and was sad when they dropped from football league,shudda been them sheep botherers who played in a sandpit.
stagone1959
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:43 pm

The National League = intensive care unit for failing professional football clubs.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:The National League = intensive care unit for failing professional football clubs.

Yep. Torquay the next ones to fall into oblivion. Owned by a property developer intent on seeing the club fold so that houses / apartments can be built on Plainmoor and Quinta fields. They'll go bust soon. In contrast, the reformed Scarborough Athletic are about 3 leagues below and getting not far off the same crowds. Fan ownership is the future for all lower league clubs IMO. Cut your cloth and accept what you've got IMO and not be at the mercy of one owner who calls the shots. Exeter are a great example of how such a model can be successful although i'm not denying even this isn't without it's problems.

As for Pools, always loved going up there. Spending time on Seaton Carew beach and trips to the historic quay. A real shame for their fans but that's what can happen when you get unscrupulous owners and that's why I am a strong advocate of the fan owned model. If you have unscrupulous owners then there ain't much you can about it if they want to destroy the football club by and large.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chris M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Could so easily have been us. Frightening to imagine where we would be without JR. It puts other worries into context when you read a story like that. Hope they survive and don’t become another Darlington or Chester City.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Its worth people remembering some of the clubs who have ended up in big trouble have had a JR type figure. Often someone they were initially very happy with. Just look at Chesterfield now.

I'm not suggesting JR will put us in any immediate danger, but its important we (the life and soul of the club) keep on top of whats happening and hold JR to account still.

Its the fans i feel sorry for, many have no way to change the bad management decisions some of the clubs mentioned have made. That said, there are also a lot of clubs who have got away with going bust and retained league status etc.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby whipster221073 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Jamie wrote:Its worth people remembering some of the clubs who have ended up in big trouble have had a JR type figure. Often someone they were initially very happy with. Just look at Chesterfield now.

I'm not suggesting JR will put us in any immediate danger, but its important we (the life and soul of the club) keep on top of whats happening and hold JR to account still.

Its the fans i feel sorry for, many have no way to change the bad management decisions some of the clubs mentioned have made. That said, there are also a lot of clubs who have got away with going bust and retained league status etc.

Understand what you are saying Jamie but have to disagree.
This JR type figure you speak of isn't the one that has killed off other clubs (like Chesterfield).
JR is a Mansfield lad and lifelong fan. Many of the others connected to failed football clubs are nothing of the sort. They are corrupt businessmen who see an opportunity to make more money and ultimately fail.

Darlington are the only club I can think of who have suffered with a local trying to do good (Reynolds) who just ran out of cash.

Allen @ Chesterfield by contrast just wanted the land and the profits when times were better.
Leyton Orient, Morecambe and others are suffering due to foreign ownership issues whilst others like Torquay and Hartlepool are simply not generating the types of revenue now that they are in non league to pay the wages, never mind improve their teams.

I agree that whoever the owner is, should be accountable to the fans through annual accounts and meetings but these are both things that JR is committing to.
Never say never, but at this point, we are one of a lucky few that seem to be breaking even (before this season's splurge of course)
MTFC not AFC
whipster221073
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Torquay were funded to the tune of over 6 million quid the season they went out of the FL about 5 years back and this was from a local lady fan who won the lottery and became Chairwoman / owner despite having zero experience of anything football or media related. She paid millions for a new stand 'The Bristows Bench' to be built replacing the old grandstand and invested into the playing side on nobody journeymen footballers like Karl Hawley, Ben Harding, Dale Tonge and the like.

The money was spent and gobbled up by vultures of a board who she trusted implicitly who then subsequently disappeared when it all started going belly up leaving the poor Thea Bristow to face the music and resign. She even wrote off the debt that TUFC owed her which given the circumstances is an incredibly generous thing to do given she got shafted AND left to continue to fund the club alone.

In the circumstances of Torquay United it was a rich benefactor signing the cheques for unscrupulous board members to oversee spending and distribution of all this cash. Was only going to end in disaster.

I think it's a well known fact that owning a lower league football club isn't likely to bring you a huge profit, if any at all so you have to question the motives behind anyone buying into a club who isn't a fan or has no links to the club or area. I don't know much about JR due to being a new fan but from what i gather on here he's a fan himself and is he local? I'm not sure but if you are going to have a sole owner of your club it looks like you could do a lot worse than JR as you lot would know with that previous lot. Who was it Haslam or something?
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Jamie wrote:Its worth people remembering some of the clubs who have ended up in big trouble have had a JR type figure. Often someone they were initially very happy with. Just look at Chesterfield now.

Just like your trouser worm, you just can’t let it go.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Could have been us, might stilk be Cheaterfield?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 pm

You really are a doughnut .
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:15 am

Jamie, I don't think for one moment we should worry about JR's intentions. And if for any reason we did, how are we going to hold him to account?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:53 pm

He bleats like a Spireite.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldnic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Stelling could put his hand in his pocket, small change, seeing that he is deeply involved with the club.
oldnic
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Iliketrains » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 pm

oldnic wrote:Stelling could put his hand in his pocket, small change, seeing that he is deeply involved with the club.

Could but under no obligation to do so. Maybe if he pledged 50k and the other fans proved they meant business by raising the rest? Would be a good solution.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Slackythestag » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Sad to see. Hartlepool always did well to get gates of 3-4,000 with the big clubs around them in the North East. They always brought a decent following down to us as well.
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm

They need the funding to see them through to the end of season. £200,000 will only buy them a month.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 am

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:13 am

Stelling worth millions.
Lets see how big a fan he really is.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:They need the funding to see them through to the end of season. £200,000 will only buy them a month.

Seriously?! 200k a month! They'd better find a buyer and quick then. Hope they can come through this.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 am

Mansfield Town lost £555,000 in our first season in the Conference.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldnic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Yes but we have a man with integrity. JR
oldnic
Youth Team
Youth Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum