{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ricky miller

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Ricky miller

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:29 pm

It's funny that those saying we shouldn't look in the Conference are happy we are linked with Miller, who has only ever done anything in the Conference :lol:

Anyway, I think he'd be better than 3 of the 4 strikers we have so would sign him. Our signing proven League 1 players has hardly been a roaring success!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Krystian Dennis had a worse record than Miller at Conference North level, yet many on here think we should pay a fee for him?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Rob wrote:It's funny that those saying we shouldn't look in the Conference are happy we are linked with Miller, who has only ever done anything in the Conference :lol:

Anyway, I think he'd be better than 3 of the 4 strikers we have so would sign him. Our signing proven League 1 players has hardly been a roaring success!

Nothing wrong with non-league. Ive been touting Danny Rowe for ages.

Miller will be great.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:30 pm

No goals in 10 appearances for Peterborough, and one goal in 12 appearances for Luton doesn't sound good to me.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:46 pm

I'd like to know who Peterborough are after ;)
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:50 pm

Foxy wrote:I'd like to know who Peterborough are after ;)

They are after JR's money.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:51 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Would have him at mansfield in a heart beat.

Hope its him.

If it is we'll deffo get promoted.

I'd sooner have someone who is proven at league 2 level. Dosen't seem to have done anything since leaving non league, hence Peterborough's decision to let him go. They want a fee for him. Also if it's true he has a court case coming up in April how will that affect him at the tail end of the season and more importantly in the play offs.

He's only been out of non league for half a season, it's hardly like he's had years of not scoring! Proven strikers at our level are Hylton, Collins, Akinde and probably Kee. Dennis and Matt Godden have also been good - they'd be great, but I highly doubt any of them will be on the move in January so there won't be many options out there. Whoever we sign I just hope it's done early!

Godden could leave as stevenage are only mid table, probably want silly money for him though
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:20 am

Amber Andy wrote:No goals in 10 appearances for Peterborough, and one goal in 12 appearances for Luton doesn't sound good to me.

he's started 4 league games in total for Posh, no goals. He started 2 league games for Luton (1 goal). Diluting that with lots of sub appearances is in my opinion a bit misleading.

Detailed record here -->
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=76998
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby AlanStag » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:27 am

Think what we're missing up top is a Rheady-type target man. Rose, Hemmings and Angol have 23 goals between them so far which isn't bad considering that Hemmings and Angol were missing for large chunks of games.

You can never turn a top player down if available I suppose, but if true this suggests to me that Rose or Hemmings may be departing.
I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Mansfield 'till I die!
AlanStag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:37 am

AlanStag wrote:Think what we're missing up top is a Rheady-type target man. Rose, Hemmings and Angol have 23 goals between them so far which isn't bad considering that Hemmings and Angol were missing for large chunks of games.

You can never turn a top player down if available I suppose, but if true this suggests to me that Rose or Hemmings may be departing.

Hanson for the big man role from the Blades, still a possibility.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:43 am

AlanStag wrote:Think what we're missing up top is a Rheady-type target man. Rose, Hemmings and Angol have 23 goals between them so far which isn't bad considering that Hemmings and Angol were missing for large chunks of games.

Hemmings may be departing. That's out of our hands if Oxford recall him, but Steve Evans won't learn that until January. Rose won't be going anywhere. We are looking to strengthen the squad, not weaken it.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby S7AGS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:46 am

Miller would be a quality signing, quality player different to any striker we have and if motivated could be the missing piece of the jigsaw....can't see him missing some of the sitters we currently do
S7AGS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 am

Looking at Darragh McAnthony's twitter, he's of the opinion that Miller's Court Case won't result in a custodial sentence. He says that's the indication he is getting from lawyers anyway.

I would assume assaulting a Police Officer is viewed as far worse than assaulting a member of public though?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 am

Scot Watkins at Macclesfield is worth a cheeky bid typical poacher in the box a thorn in the defence of any apposing team.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:49 am

stagmanrob wrote:Looking at Darragh McAnthony's twitter, he's of the opinion that Miller's Court Case won't result in a custodial sentence. He says that's the indication he is getting from lawyers anyway.

I would assume assaulting a Police Officer is viewed as far worse than assaulting a member of public though?

Correct. He also said this about Danny Rose

and this about Miller to Lincoln :

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 am

Surely Evans use of Anderson’s up front suggests he thinks we’re lacking movement up front? Not sure a big man will work if we don’t have anyone to run off him.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 am

stagmanrob wrote:Looking at Darragh McAnthony's twitter, he's of the opinion that Miller's Court Case won't result in a custodial sentence. He says that's the indication he is getting from lawyers anyway.

If you take your lead from Mansfield District Council, nothing is more serious than overstaying in Clumber Street Car Park by 5 minutes, on Christmas Eve.
The Edwinstowe Sage
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:55 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:No goals in 10 appearances for Peterborough, and one goal in 12 appearances for Luton doesn't sound good to me.

he's started 4 league games in total for Posh, no goals. He started 2 league games for Luton (1 goal). Diluting that with lots of sub appearances is in my opinion a bit misleading.

Detailed record here -->
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=76998

Still not impressive though Martin. Hasn't come off bench and scored it would seem. Also how tall is this guy. Wiki says 6ft 2, but clips don't seem to back this up. He seems more in the stature of Billy Kee.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 am

SINA STAG wrote:Scot Watkins at Macclesfield is worth a cheeky bid typical poacher in the box a thorn in the defence of any apposing team.

Or Scott Wilson also of Macclesfield or Andy Cook Tranmere.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:06 am

Not someone I'd be exited about and not what we need at the club when it comes to perceived personality.
Non-league striker, we've watched them fail before, 28 and not nailed a regular start in a league team is not a good recommendation.
No, not worth the risk if money is going to change hands, not even sure about a loan with a court case hanging over him. Posh want rid, we should learn from that.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:32 am

oldweststander wrote:Not someone I'd be exited about and not what we need at the club when it comes to perceived personality.
Non-league striker, we've watched them fail before, 28 and not nailed a regular start in a league team is not a good recommendation.
No, not worth the risk if money is going to change hands, not even sure about a loan with a court case hanging over him. Posh want rid, we should learn from that.
I totally agree with that oldweststander.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 am

Im not the real OND wrote:Surely Evans use of Anderson’s up front suggests he thinks we’re lacking movement up front? Not sure a big man will work if we don’t have anyone to run off him.

A big man is exactly what we're lacking. Not to start but to come on and be an effective target man. Rose is being wasted having to be the target at the moment. Hem and Angol refuse to even try and compete in the air so there is room for that kind of player in the sqaud.

I don't know anything about Miller, but assault on Police will make him an instant hero in the eyes of some of our neanderthals on here.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:42 am

I watched him play against Northampton in the Checkatrade trophy and saw nothing that would suggest he is different to what we have. Good work rate but not someone who would complement Rise in a different way to Hemming s or Angol
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:55 am

Amber Andy wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:Scot Watkins at Macclesfield is worth a cheeky bid typical poacher in the box a thorn in the defence of any apposing team.

Or Scott Wilson also of Macclesfield or Andy Cook Tranmere.

Cheers Andy same lad just a different dad :lol:
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

Hemmings may be departing. That's out of our hands if Oxford recall him, but Steve Evans won't learn that until January. Rose won't be going anywhere. We are looking to strengthen the squad, not weaken it.

Not sure what I said that would weaken the squad? My point was if Hemmings, Rose, Angol stay at the club and Miller comes in for I imagine big money akin to Hemmings and Angol that leaves us with 4 player who all want to be the "main man" on big money but only two will be playing. I think a fully firing Rose, Angol and Hemmings is enough for a challenge in this league IMO, all have scored in the past 2 games.

I think there are deeper problems within the squad such as the centre of midfield and full back positions which are the root of our problems rather than throwing more money at expensive strikers.
I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Mansfield 'till I die!
AlanStag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum