{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ricky Miller signs on loan until end of season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Ricky Miller signs on loan until end of season

Postby mtfstag » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Incoming from Peterborough in January...
mtfstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Ricky miller

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Are you hearing loan or permanent?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:48 pm

mtfstag wrote:Incoming from Peterborough in January...

Heard from someone with contacts in Lincoln that we outbid them.

His court case is not until just before the end of the season http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41919226
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Didn't we pay a fee for Angol?

McAnthony and Fry seem to pick up the phone to Steve Evans whenever they need to offload someone that's for sure.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Football League record of 1 in 22, no thanks.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Big gamble if true done nothing in league football and I’d be asking why are Peterborough so keen to offload ?? Be interesting to hear Martins thoughts on Miller should imagine he’s seen him play more than anyone on here.
Billy the fish
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kwambo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Hope not. The case at end of season not his first brush with the law. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... cky-miller

This for headbutt on taxi driver if remember rightly
kwambo
First Team
First Team

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:58 pm

24 moves in 10 years ? . Bet he does not buy fitted carpets .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby joey bananas » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Had more clubs than ping. Non league player at best. We seriously need to be aiming higher than this chap.
He who laughs last clearly didn't get it...
joey bananas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Big gamble if true done nothing in league football and I’d be asking why are Peterborough so keen to offload ?? Be interesting to hear Martins thoughts on Miller should imagine he’s seen him play more than anyone on here.

As a Kent Sports News reporter and having covered Dover et al I will check back my records/reports although I do recall seeing him last v Burgess Hill Town in the FA Cup but against lesser opponents that won't be a fair reflection of his capabilities
@beckenham_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Assuming this is the former Dover Ath player?
@beckenham_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:31 pm

kwambo wrote:Hope not. The case at end of season not his first brush with the law. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... cky-miller

This for headbutt on taxi driver if remember rightly

Important to state that he was found not guilty of this assault charge. ;)
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Big gamble if true done nothing in league football and I’d be asking why are Peterborough so keen to offload ?? Be interesting to hear Martins thoughts on Miller should imagine he’s seen him play more than anyone on here.

I have seen him play a lot. I would say he's been the best striker in the Conference over the last 5 years (since Jamie Vardy), by some distance. Scores goals from everywhere, tap-ins, headers, great shots from outside the box. 60 goals in 83 starts for Dover, an incredible record. He's only ever started 6 football league games.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Ricky Miller was excellent for Dover Athletic in the National League Premier. 60 league goals in around 85-90 league games. If he's available then he's seriously worth considering.

I can remember him playing for Boston United against Gainsborough Trinity in November 2013. He's done a lot better than I expected. Excellent finisher.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Ricky Miller

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Danny Cowley is interested and he's on Russell Slade's list.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport ... and-958228

"According to the Peterborough Telegraph, as many as six clubs are interested in Miller - who incidentally had a short spell with Grimsby Town's weekend opponents Luton. Posh director of football Barry Fry said: “We have targets of our own in January and I’ve done deals with clubs about new players, but we have to get our players out first. We are trying for a new striker so Ricky Miller could be surplus to requirements. There is interest in him, but we expect a fee.”

Grimsby Town's neighbours Lincoln City are one club who have been linked with a move for the Peterborough man - but while Danny Cowley admits he is an admirer of the frontman, he doesn't expect him to join the Imps next month. Cowley told Lincolnshire Live: “We didn’t enquire about him personally. We just made a phone call about what players could be available from Peterborough. It was pretty standard stuff. You have to keep your ear to the ground and be aware of what is available, so when the January window does come you’re able to act accordingly. We had a chat with [Peterborough boss] Grant McCann but it was no more than that. It is not something we expect to happen. We like Ricky, we think he’s a good player and he had a fantastic season last year. It’s normal for clubs, when they’re looking to move a player on, to create an interest. We understand that but there’s been nothing more than us having a conversation with Peterborough about players who may or may not be available.”
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Is Ricky Miller out of Eastenders?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Great left foot and finisher. Can also take free kicks and penalties. Here's 73 goals he scored for Dover Athletic

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:46 pm

We could do a lot worse but yet again the know it alls have written him off as not good enough and they probably haven’t seen him kick a ball.

Let’s see what happens
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

I have seen him play a lot. I would say he's been the best striker in the Conference over the last 5 years (since Jamie Vardy), by some distance. Scores goals from everywhere, tap-ins, headers, great shots from outside the box. 60 goals in 83 starts for Dover, an incredible record. He's only ever started 6 football league games.

Hey c'mon, he's 28 now. The most probable reason he's only started 6 League games in all that time ??? well it's not difficult to work out is it.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Last left footed goalscorer we had in the peak of his career was Whitehall. He wasn't too bad.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:38 pm

60 in 83 is a fantastic record in the conference, especially when it wasn't for one of the top sides (even though Dover did quite well) - he obviously knows where the net is.

Just because he wasn't banging them in when he was in his early 20's doesn't mean he's no good, I'd be happy with this signing if it were true. There won't be any proven L2 L1 strikers coming here in Jan I doubt so I don't mind getting one that scored 42 times in the conference last year.
BH_Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Would have him at mansfield in a heart beat.

Hope its him.

If it is we'll deffo get promoted.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:39 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Would have him at mansfield in a heart beat.

Hope its him.

I'd sooner have someone who is proven at league 2 level. Dosen't seem to have done anything since leaving non league, hence Peterborough's decision to let him go. They want a fee for him. Also if it's true he has a court case coming up in April how will that affect him at the tail end of the season and more importantly in the play offs.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Would have him at mansfield in a heart beat.

Hope its him.

I'd sooner have someone who is proven at league 2 level. Dosen't seem to have done anything since leaving non league, hence Peterborough's decision to let him go. They want a fee for him. Also if it's true he has a court case coming up in April how will that affect him at the tail end of the season and more importantly in the play offs.

He's only been out of non league for half a season, it's hardly like he's had years of not scoring! Proven strikers at our level are Hylton, Collins, Akinde and probably Kee. Dennis and Matt Godden have also been good - they'd be great, but I highly doubt any of them will be on the move in January so there won't be many options out there. Whoever we sign I just hope it's done early!
BH_Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Did Peterboro nearly sell him as soon as they signed him in the summer ?
Seem to remember they had a bid
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum