{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FA Cup 3rd Round thread sponsored by (Cardiff City away)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: FA Cup 3rd Round thread sponsored by (Cardiff City away)

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:03 pm

I'd definitely play a fringe team for this game, the likes of Butcher, Digby, Thomas, Spencer at would all start. It's a garbage draw for us, we don't want injuries to key players and some players need to rest up. Also, we have a decent squad so even a 2nd 11 would do ok.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm

The last time I went to Cardiff was around 97/98 when we lost 4-2, and was chased all the way back to the car. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a game in South Wales without being chased back to whatever mode of transport got me down there.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Rob wrote:I'd definitely play a fringe team for this game, the likes of Butcher, Digby, Thomas, Spencer at would all start. It's a garbage draw for us, we don't want injuries to key players and some players need to rest up. Also, we have a decent squad so even a 2nd 11 would do ok.

And pass off a real good opportunity to get into the hat for round 4?

Cardiff fans expecting to play a reserve team, some even now want us to win so they can focus back on the league given their recent form. We should be happy to oblige.

I think Evans will go with a strong team and treat it like any other Saturday.

We can't choose who we draw but we can go down to Cardiff and support the lads, in the hope we are due an extended run and a trip to that big prem team in round 4!.

:coys:
Stags 2002
First Team
First Team

Postby stags4eva » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Rob wrote:I'd definitely play a fringe team for this game, the likes of Butcher, Digby, Thomas, Spencer at would all start. It's a garbage draw for us, we don't want injuries to key players and some players need to rest up. Also, we have a decent squad so even a 2nd 11 would do ok.

My gut feeling is you're not planning on travelling down based on the above?

I'll be peeved if i get down to Cardiff and see a 2nd string announed!
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm

stags4eva wrote:

My gut feeling is you're not planning on travelling down based on the above?

I'll be peeved if i get down to Cardiff and see a 2nd string announed!

No, I'm not, it was an awful draw for us. I'd rather us be promoted than get to Round 4 of the FA Cup, if we get one of our more important players injured, then it could be disastrous. I suspect Evans will not play anyone with a niggle or knock but will pick a fairly strong side. I do expect to see the likes of Mirfin, Hunt etc play.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm

The Cardiff City FA Cup game is a massive game for the Stags and JR. If we win then we will receive £67,500 in prize money. If we then draw one of the big teams at home it could be worth another £144,000 in TV money. If we draw Man Utd away then it will be worth £1 million. Lincoln City must have made made £1.5 million last year from their FA Cup run last season. I would also like a bit of FA Cup glory.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The Cardiff City FA Cup game is a massive game for the Stags and JR. If we win then we will receive £67,500 in prize money. If we then draw one of the big teams at home it could be worth another £144,000 in TV money. If we draw Man Utd away then it will be worth £1 million. Lincoln City must have made made £1.5 million last year from their FA Cup run last season. I would also like a bit of FA Cup glory.

A bit of FA Cup glory for me would be when the BBC show a montage of league 2 clubs into the 3rd round draw and actually include us rather than exclude us.

Maybe in round 4 we could get a mention :lol:
Stags 2002
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The Cardiff City FA Cup game is a massive game for the Stags and JR. If we win then we will receive £67,500 in prize money. If we then draw one of the big teams at home it could be worth another £144,000 in TV money. If we draw Man Utd away then it will be worth £1 million. Lincoln City must have made made £1.5 million last year from their FA Cup run last season. I would also like a bit of FA Cup glory.

You could say the same about the other cup competitions, how much did the defeat at Blackpool potentially cost us? Expect changes and several of them is my guess :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 pm

The FA Cup is the big one for prize money though Rob. It could also help to attract more fans down to Field Mill if we beat Cardiff and draw a big side. They might like what they see and keep coming along for the rest of the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Rob wrote:

You could say the same about the other cup competitions, how much did the defeat at Blackpool potentially cost us? Expect changes and several of them is my guess :D

He makes "several" changes every game come what may, I don't think it will be the reserve team you seem to think Rob?
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The FA Cup is the big one for prize money though Rob. It could also help to attract more fans down to Field Mill if we beat Cardiff and draw a big side. They might like what they see and keep coming along for the rest of the season.

Give over Darren :lol: , they'd come to watch whichever Prem team it was and then would never darken the turnstiles at t'Mill for years.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Our thread on the Cardiff forum is a good read. A lot of them expect Warnock to show us respect and think he should play a strong side. As well, a few of them see it as a potential banana skin!
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 pm

I think we’ll beat them.

Love European games.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:20 pm

I think we might cause a giant killing me'sen. Although, undoubtedly we'll get our holiday cottage burnt to the foundations whilst over there.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 pm

If Lincoln could beat Burnley away when they were top of the Championship, we can beat Cardiff. I'd rather play their first string than reserves on current form. The reserves will be fighting to steal places in the first team.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stags4eva » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:41 pm

You talking about last year when Lincoln beat Burnley??? They were in the Prem?
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 pm

stags4eva wrote:You talking about last year when Lincoln beat Burnley??? They were in the Prem?

Think he means Brighton regarding Championship leaders.

They also beat Ipswich and Burnley on their way to losing against Arsenal.

Hats off to them for last years efforts and i hope we do something similar this year starting at Cardiff.

Regardless of the draw its the FA Cup 3rd round, how can you not be up for it in the hope we'll give it a good go a spring a surprise?
Stags 2002
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:

He makes "several" changes every game come what may, I don't think it will be the reserve team you seem to think Rob?

I don't think it will be a reserve team, I was saying what I would do, the clue was in the bit where I said "I'd play a fringe team ...." :lol: We have a strong squad, I hope he uses it, gives these players game time, we might need them in Feb/Mar for the really important games.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 am

We've got every chance of beating them, it's 11 v 11 on the pitch and we'll have the much louder support that is guaranteed. Why can't we do them?!

Anyone know how many tickets we've sold? I'm going to pick a couple up tomorrow.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 am

Id estimate c.950 so far.

2225 allocated, roughly 1280 available online.

Support the lads and get yourselves down there, ticket office back open tomorrow.

:coys:
Stags 2002
First Team
First Team

Postby Jimstag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 am

I’d expect Evans to change it a bit as he always does, if a fringe player trains particularly well this week I can see them being included even if it’s to sell them in the January transfer window.
Jimstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 am

Stags 2002 wrote:
stags4eva wrote:You talking about last year when Lincoln beat Burnley??? They were in the Prem?

Think he means Brighton regarding Championship leaders.

They also beat Ipswich and Burnley on their way to losing against Arsenal.

Hats off to them for last years efforts and i hope we do something similar this year starting at Cardiff.

Regardless of the draw its the FA Cup 3rd round, how can you not be up for it in the hope we'll give it a good go a spring a surprise?

Too bloody right mate. All this, 'we don't want to risk this or that', 'it's a poor draw' etc, etc makes us sound like Prem clubs with their thinking that the FA Cup's not woth a Tommy Tank and with that attitude the Prem'll get it shunted to midweek (no replays) only.
T'is the greatest Cup comp in the World. It gives the most minute pub team the chance to dream of glory. Or on the other hand you could be watching the same 'big six' play in the Chumps Lge again and again and again zzzzzzz.
Me mesen I can get more enjoyment out of The Brown Cow v a Lge1/2 team in the Cup on a Fri night as it means so, so much to the players and supporters and town represented by the Brown Cow. The little side stories etc about 'he's off to work after t'game' and not, 'he's stalling over an extra £50,000p/w and personal arse wiper before he signs a new contract' if watching the Chumps Lge.

Support this wonderful, historical competition because for us it means something and always will
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:00 am

I would be very annoyed to turn up at Cardiff to see Butcher, Thomas and Spencer all in the side.

The team that played Saturday was great, as it was against Wycombe so will be difficult to make changes but I would not be surprised to see White back in at RB for his pace on a big pitch. Also Digby may come in to play a holding role for the same reason, a leggy player that can get about well who is a bit more defensive minded, though Atkinson could also offer that. Might mean Macca going back out wide. Other than that I wouldn't hope to see many more changes, I think we have real chance if we keep them quiet for 30 minutes as the crowd will be frustrated.
BH_Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

They've got a week off before Cambridge, and it would be ridiculous for him not to play our full strength side - we've the potential of a replay on TV if it happened, prize money at stake, a big tie in the next round.....

Also, fans are spending decent whack and time to get down there, it would be poor form for him to play a reduced side
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 am

I think we will be dumped out by a small margin at say 1 nil but will be a good performance and following and then trot out league priority.

A 3 nil win at Cambridge is much more desired than a win in Cardiff in my view.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum