{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Please Remember

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Please Remember

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:22 pm

They will both get a standing ovation from me. One of the greatest achievements in our history getting us back in the league. Who knows where we might be now if they and the whole squad and owners hadn’t had that success. Thanks !
CassellsCap
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:24 pm

There is no harm showing them respect pre match. Its the right thing to do. But come kick off they are all thats in the way of a 3rd round tie and deserve the same stick any opposition manager would get.

Let's get behind the boys... Or be beside them at least given the qle is shut.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Forget this kiss their backsides. Just listened again on BBC East Mids.....Murray you are a bitter, bitter man, I hope we give you a right stuffing on Sunday, because if we lose, I can already see the smirk on your face.
Cox, the consummate professional , Murray, spoilt boy.

Two glasses of Veuve on a Friday eve, after a long week, and listened again to that has made me quite opinionated! Raspberry him :lol:
Mr Grimsdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bradders » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:09 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:Forget this kiss their backsides. Just listened again on BBC East Mids.....Murray you are a bitter, bitter man, I hope we give you a right stuffing on Sunday, because if we lose, I can already see the smirk on your face.

Two glasses of Veuve on a Friday eve, after a long week, and listened again to that has made me quite opinionated! Raspberry him :lol:

I haven't heard that, but in any case Cox is in charge and a warm ovation before the match is in order. As others have sensibly pointed out, that doesn't mean that we treat his team nicely during the match. An 8-1 hammering would be very satisfactory (although highly unlikely), and as a struggling non-league side it wouldn't be humiliating.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby ftybr68 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:27 am

Why has it not been a sensible debate? I gave my view, you gave yours. Sounds sensible enough to me my old
Oh it was a joke by the way about blaming folks if we lose i.e the ha ha bit! Trust me I am not that daft a bloke
ftybr68
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:20 am

ftybr68 wrote:Looks like most will clap them then! Fine with me if that's what people want to do.
Remember though my post wasn't questioning what they achieved, I will be forever grateful for what they both did for my football club, I just thought that waiting until after was the better way of going about things. They will like nothing more than to rub our noses in the mire by winning and knocking us out!
Still out of respect of others, I will stand and gently applaud with you all before commentary but if we lose, then you lot are to blame ha ha!
Again thanks all of you for taking part in a sensible debate. See stagsnet is capable after all

That's their job to knock us out. Don't forget they were both deemed not good enough to manage us because ultimately they weren't a success at league 2 level. So they will be going all out to beat us to prove a point. Nothing wrong with that. Their post match interview, should they beat us, will indicate if they intend to " rub our noses in the mire".
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:14 am

Bradders wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:Forget this kiss their backsides. Just listened again on BBC East Mids.....Murray you are a bitter, bitter man, I hope we give you a right stuffing on Sunday, because if we lose, I can already see the smirk on your face.

I haven't heard that, but in any case Cox is in charge and a warm ovation before the match is in order. As others have sensibly pointed out, that doesn't mean that we treat his team nicely during the match. An 8-1 hammering would be very satisfactory (although highly unlikely), and as a struggling non-league side it wouldn't be humiliating.

It has been a sensible debate, people have given their opinions, just because you don't agree with someone else's , doesn't mean you are correct in saying it's not sensible.
Murray couldn't help himself in his interview , about not being given opportunity, fair chance etc. He was given the chance , he failed, miserably, and he is carrying the chip of his own making.
He is so fortunate to be back in a position like tomorrow , given his abject failures recently. I don't wish him ill will, but I will question his opinions about a club that so loyally treated him for a long time.
You failed Adam deal with it, it wasn't our fault. On the positive side, I thank you for Rose and Pearce.
Mr Grimsdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:57 am

Thank him for getting us out of the hell hole by all means but I am baffled that nobody cares to mention the facts that every season a fair percentage of fans wanted him out and hoofball became a common word at the wonk .

Good conference manager who stuck to his guns and got us promotion playing his way. I still think his way is the worst option and hope I never have to witness it ever again . I will applaud him as he comes to the dugout but I will be very surprise if I go the full game without shouting hoof .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:04 am

It was always a noisy minority that shouted for Cox Out. With Murray I think it was a bit more by the end, but both still had a lot of support.
Murray seems a little less mature than Cox and unable to understand this after serving the club for so long, but he needs to realise it isn't personal and was just because of that moment in time. He is loved from the playing career he had and the two promotions he played a massive part in. George Foster understands and hopefully Muz will too one day.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:28 am

Glad you mentioned George Foster.
Mountain of a centre half, great captain and a not so good manager. He suffered the full gambit from adulation as a player and skipper to being unwelcome as manager, I deliberately avoided the word disliked because few of us knew him as a person.
He was in the IGU with Billy D a few weeks ago and was very welcome, smiling, acknowledged the good wishes and applause he received. Not many good players make good managers as we all now know.
Last edited by oldweststander on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:41 am

ParisStag wrote:It was always a noisy minority that shouted for Cox Out. With Murray I think it was a bit more by the end, but both still had a lot of support.
Murray seems a little less mature than Cox and unable to understand this after serving the club for so long, but he needs to realise it isn't personal and was just because of that moment in time. He is loved from the playing career he had and the two promotions he played a massive part in. George Foster understands and hopefully Muz will too one day.

Adam got virtually no stick compared to George Foster, who was similar in being a legend as a player but indifferent as manager (despite one great promotion, his record is about the same as Murray's). IIRC Foster had to suffer months of "Foster out" but finally made way with dignity intact. Murray has to learn how to deal with justified criticism and with things not going his way.

Cox has never been eloquent in interviews but somehow comes across as honest and frank. To my mind, the calls of "Hoof" and "Cox out" were too loud and insistent for him to be able to do an effective job but he doesn't blame the fans for lack of results in his final spell. I was pretty certain that he was going to have to leave, after the Notts County match in September 2014 when the orchestrated booing and insults must have been very disappointing bearing in mind the success of the previous season. With a small and threadbare squad to pick from, a low budget, and plenty of negative vibes from the fans it was no wonder than a poor run followed on from this and led to his resignation.

Criticising Cox for style of play when he was instrumental in saving us from obscurity, and took us to our best finish in the Football League since 2003/4 (a feat that no-one has yet improved on since he left) seems a bit of a joke to me. Had we sacked him at the start of the first season back in the league and replaced him with a manager who would insist on stylish football (despite having a non-league squad), we may well have been back in the Conference sharpish.

Anyway, it seems that most people agree that a round of applause is called for - and I'll be joining in.
Last edited by Bradders on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 am

oldweststander wrote:Glad you mentioned George Foster.
Mountain of a centre half, great captain and a not so good manager. He suffered the full gambit from adulation as a player and skipoer to being unwelcome as manager, I deliberately avoided the word disliked because few of us knew him as a person.
He was in the IGU with Billy D a few weeks ago and was very welcome, smiling, acknowledged the good wishes and applause he received. Not many good players make good managers as we all now know.

Though Foster did get us promoted in 91-92, but for some reason only the terrible following season is remembered when to be fair to George, the club had no money, he had to sell Stanty and wasn't able to bring in any quality.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Bradders wrote:
ParisStag wrote:It was always a noisy minority that shouted for Cox Out. With Murray I think it was a bit more by the end, but both still had a lot of support.

Adam got virtually no stick compared to George Foster, who was similar in being a legend as a player but indifferent as manager (despite one great promotion, his record is about the same as Murray's). IIRC Foster had to suffer months of "Foster out" but finally made way with dignity intact. Murray has to learn how to deal with justified criticism and with things not going his way.

Cox has never been eloquent in interviews but somehow comes across as honest and frank. To my mind, the calls of "Hoof" and "Cox out" were too loud and insistent for him to be able to do an effective job but he doesn't blame the fans for lack of results in his final spell. I was pretty certain that he was going to have to leave, after the Notts County match in September 2014 when the orchestrated booing and insults must have been very disappointing bering in mind the success of the previous season. With a small and threadbare squad to pick from, a low budget, and plenty of negative vibes from the fans it was no wonder than a poor run followed on from this and led to his resignation.

Criticising Cox for style of play when he was instrumental in saving us from obscurity, and took us to our best finish in the Football League since 2003/4 (a feat that no-one has yet improved on since he left) seems a bit of a joke to me. Had we sacked him at the start of the first season back in the league and replaced him with a manager who would insist on stylish football (despite having a non-league squad), we may well have been back in the Conference sharpish.

Equally we could have got another promotion and enjoyed watching the performances . Agree the probability is in your favour but anyone can list what ifs and maybes but it does not strengthen your debate .

Anyway, it seems that most people agree that a round of applause is called for - and I'll be joining in.
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:44 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Cox has never been eloquent in interviews but somehow comes across as honest and frank. To my mind, the calls of "Hoof" and "Cox out" were too loud and insistent for him to be able to do an effective job but he doesn't blame the fans for lack of results in his final spell. I was pretty certain that he was going to have to leave, after the Notts County match in September 2014 when the orchestrated booing and insults must have been very disappointing bering in mind the success of the previous season. With a small and threadbare squad to pick from, a low budget, and plenty of negative vibes from the fans it was no wonder than a poor run followed on from this and led to his resignation.

Equally we could have got another promotion and enjoyed watching the performances . Agree the probability is in your favour but anyone can list what ifs and maybes but it does not strengthen your debate .

So will I , as I posted earlier I respect him for sticking to his style of
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:
Mountain of a centre half, great captain and a not so good manager. He suffered the full gambit from adulation as a player and skipoer to being unwelcome as manager, I deliberately avoided the word disliked because few of us knew him as a person.

Though Foster did get us promoted in 91-92, but for some reason only the terrible following season is remembered when to be fair to George, the club had no money, he had to sell Stanty and wasn't able to bring in any quality.

George was treated disgracefully by some of our fans.

As for Cox, he was his own worst enemy, he was given a very good budget in League 2 but never altered our style of play and it was this intransigence that I think cost him his job. We just never really showed signs of getting better. Nevertheless, he will rightly be remembered here for getting us out of the Conference, the importance of which just cannot be over-estimated.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Rob wrote:

As for Cox, he was his own worst enemy, he was given a very good budget in League 2 but never altered our style of play and it was this intransigence that I think cost him his job. We just never really showed signs of getting better. Nevertheless, he will rightly be remembered here for getting us out of the Conference, the importance of which just cannot be over-estimated.

Correct for me on both counts Rob, when George came back a few weeks ago, I felt like going up and apologising for the abuse he took. A really dignified man and an absolute warrior on the pitch.
Mr Grimsdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bradders » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Rob wrote:

He was altering it bit by bit, but the personnel he had in the first season in the league didn't really allow for massive changes in style as they were essentially the non-league squad minus Green plus Clucas. Whether they got paid a lot more than before doesn't really alter that. In the second season the budget was cut right back and it was going to be a difficult job just to get results, never mind put on a style which only a few sides at this level were achieving.

In any case, his brief was to get results and he did very well in League 2 on that front - I don't think anyone thinks that he didn't over-achieve in League 2, it's just a criticism of balls being played into the box slightly too quickly.

Whatever peoples' views on the history, I feel that with a proper budget and Evans in charge we are now in a better position to push onwards and upwards.
I'd have advised him to drop the insistence that the keeper must always kick the ball and never roll it or throw it out. Then the fans would have been fairly happy with the style, and it would have made little difference to the results.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:10 am

Difficult one today .My own opinion is to make it as hostile as possible before the game for any opposing manager/team.They will be wanting that big 3rd round draw as much as us .then after putting them to the sword all the back slapping and clapping off the pitch can commence.For me they are the enemy until 4pm. Up the stags !
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:34 am

steve-hymas wrote:Difficult one today .My own opinion is to make it as hostile as possible before the game for any opposing manager/team.They will be wanting that big 3rd round draw as much as us .then after putting them to the sword all the back slapping and clapping off the pitch can commence.For me they are the enemy until 4pm. Up the stags !

Problem is, people will be leaving willy nilly and in the general chaos nobody will know how much the applause is for the team and how much for the ex-managers. Not everyone can get close to the tunnel. Before the match is much better - they only really become the enemy at kick-off. Making a hostile atmosphere before the game starts is difficult anyway, and it could have the effect of firing up the opposition.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:13 am

Bradders wrote:
steve-hymas wrote:Difficult one today .My own opinion is to make it as hostile as possible before the game for any opposing manager/team.They will be wanting that big 3rd round draw as much as us .then after putting them to the sword all the back slapping and clapping off the pitch can commence.For me they are the enemy until 4pm. Up the stags !

Problem is, people will be leaving willy nilly and in the general chaos nobody will know how much the applause is for the team and how much for the ex-managers. Not everyone can get close to the tunnel. Before the match is much better - they only really become the enemy at kick-off. Making a hostile atmosphere before the game starts is difficult anyway, and it could have the effect of firing up the opposition.

On the other hand, is it really THAT important?
Who cares if they wonder who the applause is for. Mine will be for Mansfield Town if they have got through, and given their best.
We get all misty eyed about two ex employees, who really want to beat us.

I remember a mate speaking to David Caldwell after an awful performance and loss at Halifax, he was in the Duke of Wellington. "Don't get wound up, it's just a job", was his reply.
Mr Grimsdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:28 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:38 am

I’ve lost all respect for Murray. Cox seems to carry himself with a fair bit of decorum. Murray comes across like someone p1ssed in his cornflakes
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:14 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I’ve lost all respect for Murray. Cox seems to carry himself with a fair bit of decorum. Murray comes across like someone p1ssed in his cornflakes

To be fair Belly you've never had any respect for Murray.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Bradders wrote:

It has been a sensible debate, people have given their opinions, just because you don't agree with someone else's , doesn't mean you are correct in saying it's not sensible.
Murray couldn't help himself in his interview , about not being given opportunity, fair chance etc. He was given the chance , he failed, miserably, and he is carrying the chip of his own making.
He is so fortunate to be back in a position like tomorrow , given his abject failures recently. I don't wish him ill will, but I will question his opinions about a club that so loyally treated him for a long time.
You failed Adam deal with it, it wasn't our fault. On the positive side, I thank you for Rose and Pearce.

Mr Murray had a real opportunity to take the club forward, in his first few games he got us playing some really nice football(at that level) but chose the ‘playing nice football’ doesnt Win you games approach and turned us back into a ‘Paul Cox’ hoof team which lost him his post...
Unfortunately it happens a lot with rookie managers!!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I’ve lost all respect for Murray. Cox seems to carry himself with a fair bit of decorum. Murray comes across like someone p1ssed in his cornflakes

To be fair Belly you've never had any respect for Murray.

I did as a player.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum