{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

If Mansfield had beaten Huddersfield in the 2004 play offs

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

If Mansfield had beaten Huddersfield in the 2004 play offs

Postby AlexNottsFan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:28 pm

As a neutral, the 2004 play off final between Mansfield and Huddersfield is one of my earliest football memories. And it got me thinking about how Mansfield would have done had they won that final. You had a good young squad at the time, but everything seemed to decline after Keith Curle’s sacking which eventually led to your relegation. I think Mansfield could have established themselves in League One had they won that final
AlexNottsFan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: If Mansfield had beaten Huddersfield in the 2004 play of

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:40 pm

No chance, Haslam would've creamed every penny he could for longer than he did... we'd have come straight back down after selling/losing the nucleus and replacing with ex-posties or milkmen
wayno cordiniho
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:43 pm

AlexNottsFan wrote:As a neutral, the 2004 play off final between Mansfield and Huddersfield is one of my earliest football memories. And it got me thinking about how Mansfield would have done had they won that final. You had a good young squad at the time, but everything seemed to decline after Keith Curle’s sacking which eventually led to your relegation. I think Mansfield could have established themselves in League One had they won that final

Bore off mate.

Need to learn some history before putting it all down to Curle leaving Mansfield.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby AlexNottsFan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:05 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
AlexNottsFan wrote:As a neutral, the 2004 play off final between Mansfield and Huddersfield is one of my earliest football memories. And it got me thinking about how Mansfield would have done had they won that final. You had a good young squad at the time, but everything seemed to decline after Keith Curle’s sacking which eventually led to your relegation. I think Mansfield could have established themselves in League One had they won that final

Bore off mate.

Need to learn some history before putting it all down to Curle leaving Mansfield.

Why don’t you give me some background information on the history then? Also why couldn’t Mansfield establish themselves after the 2002 promotion?
AlexNottsFan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:09 pm

AlexNottsFan wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Bore off mate.

Why don’t you give me some background information on the history then? Also why couldn’t Mansfield establish themselves after the 2002 promotion?

Traditionally one reads the history before the original post to ensure its factually actuate and not a crap irrelevant post.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 pm

AlexNottsFan wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Bore off mate.

what club do you support then we can go in to your history :?: :?:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:26 pm

I think it would have taken a lot longer to get rid of Hasloan if we had won the Huddersfield Play Off game.

Hasloan sacking Curle the following season and appointing Coco The Clown as manager was a big mistake and the beginning of the end of the parasite's regime.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:37 am

Think Bobby Baptise and Lawrence where going to leave anyway that seasons end.
Without replacing them 3 players we would of been straight back down for sure.
In hind sight it would of just prolonged our relegation out of the league and given him more money that year.
Those days are over and we are now in a very strong position to grow with a fantastic owner.
Learning it's the owner you need for a football club to succeed as much as players on the field.
Wasn't that long ago we had the likes of Huddersfield hull Stoke Swansea etc.. Playing at the mill.
Martin could give you loads more stats on that year.
chip63
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 am

So what would have happened.
The count would have been able to get his hands on more cash.
A lot of our top players would have still left.
The bullying claims that lead to curle leaving would probably have still happened.
The count would have brought his mate in to manage us.
Would have had an even bigger fall from grace (if you could have called it that)
That’s my take anyway.
Jimstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby m1cksut » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 am

if the queen had balls she would be a king.
told you, what carolyn wants, carolyn gets.
m1cksut
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:43 pm

We lost on penalties it's history move on
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Our decline started prior to that, when Dearden & Greenacre left, Robinson retired from league football, and the likes of Barrett / Piper / Murray / Sellars weren't replaced. Aside from maybe this one, it was probably the best squad we've had in recent times - all assembled for less cash than you'd find in the most generous philanthropist in the world's piggy bank

Essentially, Haslam was like a parent winning the lottery with a £1 ticket, blowing the cash, and then going back to being skint and expecting us poor dependants to live off pot noodles
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm

We could have been beating Man Utd in the prem , instead of just beating Notts County ;)
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Yeah but we would still be raspberries wouldnt have it any other way ,cardiff what a day never drunk that much beet in a weekend
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby m1cksut » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 pm

spanishstag wrote:Yeah but we would still be raspberries wouldnt have it any other way ,cardiff what a day never drunk that much beet in a weekend

drinking beet? ah, well, when in Wales, i suppose.
the rest of us stuck to drinking beer, at least our vomit was multi-coloured!
told you, what carolyn wants, carolyn gets.
m1cksut
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Yes but beets good for our bodies my vomit was very red
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:06 pm

We would have gone up then come straight back down again as Keith continued to bleed the club dry.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:55 am

That’s something we’ve both got in common then ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum