{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfer Thread

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfer Thread

Postby James » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:18 pm

As much as Frecklington would be a great signing, i wouldn't want him here if his only motivation to be here is money. We've done that with Butcher, can't do it again.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:30 pm

James wrote:As much as Frecklington would be a great signing, i wouldn't want him here if his only motivation to be here is money. We've done that with Butcher, can't do it again.

plenty of time left for butcher to come good, everyone wrote hemmings off after 5 games
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Hanson turned us down in the summer because he didn't want to drop to League Two. With League One clubs interested I don't see how that would change. Most weeks I see tweets about him being out drinking in Bradford so I don't think he's going to be the fittest.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Lee Frecklington's Uncle played for Lincoln City as well and he currently manages Gainsborough Trinity.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:07 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
James wrote:As much as Frecklington would be a great signing, i wouldn't want him here if his only motivation to be here is money. We've done that with Butcher, can't do it again.

plenty of time left for butcher to come good, everyone wrote hemmings off after 5 games

It was clear Hemmings wasn't fit for the first few weeks of playing for us, but showed in patches of what he can do, and now he's probably our best striker.

Butcher, as much as i hate usually slagging players off, has showed absolutely nothing at all. I couldn't even tell you what type of midfielder he is.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Butcher doesn't look interested to me, particularly after the Morecambe game. Probably thought he would walk it in L2 and it hasn't worked out that way at all. Probably thinking what on earth he has done dropping down as other teams now will just see him sat on the bench in League 2, doesn't bode well for him.

His confidence is clearly low, hope he comes good as he will be on a good whack but I wouldn't leave it to chance. Not surprised Evans is looking for another midfielder to challenge Byrom.
BH_Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:11 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Butcher doesn't look interested to me, particularly after the Morecambe game. Probably thought he would walk it in L2 and it hasn't worked out that way at all. I imagine he's thinking what on earth he has done dropping down as other teams now will just see him sat on the bench in League 2, doesn't bode well for him.

His confidence is clearly low, hope he comes good as he will be on a good whack but I wouldn't leave it to chance. Not surprised Evans is looking for another midfielder to challenge Byrom.
BH_Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:13 pm

James wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

It was clear Hemmings wasn't fit for the first few weeks of playing for us, but showed in patches of what he can do, and now he's probably our best striker.

Butcher, as much as i hate usually slagging players off, has showed absolutely nothing at all. I couldn't even tell you what type of midfielder he is.

i don’t think you’re slagging him off that badly, apart from his goal at carlisle he really hasn’t done anything else. I’ve also said the same thing about what kind of midfielder he is. In his interview he says he’s an attacking midfielder but i’ve not seen much attacking from him
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Sounds like Hanson would just not drop to league 2 full stop.

Has he not checked Bury's league position?
victor A block
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:35 pm

I get the impression from Butcher's body language that he just doesn't want to run and put the effort in. He strolls around pointing for other players to cover but doesn't do any work himself.
He would be first on my list to move on, should we be so lucky to receive any interest?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 pm

From what I read about Butcher he is an attacking midfielder and striker. When he joined Burton Albion he expected to be playing as a striker.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Without wishing to be too critical, I think that Butcher, Atkinson & Digby have all been disappointing signings in midfield - and this is an area that Evans needs to address.
With regards to the forwards: Spencer & Sterling-James are also lacking. I wouldn't mind if we moved out all of the above (plus Jack Thomas) - but I'm not sure how easy that would be (given their contracts & the possible lack of interest from other clubs)?
The defence & goal keepers are OK at the moment - no change required there (unless, there is a need to review the left back position?)
It is clear where we need to strengthen in January: a quality midfield general and a goal-scoring striker. If we can get the right 2 players in those two positions, then we might just achieve promotion this season .... but I think that it will depend on these two critical signings.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:From what I read about Butcher he is an attacking midfielder and striker. When he joined Burton Albion he expected to be playing as a striker.

I think the reason he left Burton was he was played in the wrong position . I think the same is happening here . He played a lot of games for promotion winning Burton and also for Milwall so there is a good player in there somewhere .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Peterborough are signing Kieffer Moore so they will be looking to move a forward out.
Ricky Miller Junior Morais or Idris Kanu look likely to be in their way.
Would imagine Steve has been in touch.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Peterborough are signing Kieffer Moore so they will be looking to move a forward out.
Ricky Miller Junior Morais or Idris Kanu look likely to be in their way.
Would imagine Steve has been in touch.

We have all learned to trust the reliability of your insight, Corporal Dunno!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Newarkstag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Lewis mcgugan has just left Northampton feel like he would be a great signing at this level however quite similar to mellis
Newarkstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Newarkstag wrote:Lewis mcgugan has just left Northampton feel like he would be a great signing at this level however quite similar to mellis

not the general we need to get stuck in to challenges and gives his all to win the ball back

but what do i know? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:55 pm

A great player but we have that type of player most definatley covered.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:

Hopefully someone goes for Grant too.

Why don't we go for grant??
robbingdog
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:56 pm

because they’ll want daft money for him
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:58 pm

How much do they want then? County seem to think that they
are going to sign him.
robbingdog
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby robbingdog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:00 pm

It's a bit like wanting to ask that hot girl out that
You think you've got no chance with. You never know,
she may just say yes
robbingdog
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Our well informed meister willdeliver have no doubt
spanishstag
First Team
First Team

Postby geoffhill » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:28 pm

With regards to Butcher I have heard that he is on 4k per week.Don't know his contract terms but I cannot believe he has played so many games at a higher level.He has been the least impressive of all Evans signings.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:30 pm

robbingdog wrote:It's a bit like wanting to ask that hot girl out that
You think you've got no chance with. You never know,
she may just say yes

They always said yes to me its tough being a geezer ,lol
spanishstag
First Team
First Team