{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Away days

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Away days

Postby Chander Lear » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Well well well

What a fantastic away day.

Best support witnessed away (vocally) since bradford away (relagation season?)

Proud of the lads, dug deep.

Back them like this and we'll intimate most in them

Logan special mention

Also kane hemmings, worked hard as always, should have had a peno

Coys
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Re: Away days

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Agreed, a great day out and a great performance by players and fans. White had a bit of a stinker first half but i’ll let him off as we won :lol: we need to push up the mountain with another 3 bags of coal next saturday.

also pleased macdonald get a goal, something i’ve been waiting for for a while!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Let’s do this at home... every week!
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Currently on the train home, big 3 points and a fully deserved 3 points.

Best away end I’ve been in for a long time, great scenes at the end!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Hiw many away fans?

There was never 8400 there today!

Our support is amazing when it wants to be.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:16 pm

The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Hiw many away fans?

There was never 8400 there today!

Our support is amazing when it wants to be.

Around 1,500
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 pm

1565, great atmosphere, massive win :-)
wayno cordiniho
First Team
First Team

Postby Sheffstag » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Wasn't at the game today, but you were loud and proud on ifollow. quote from CCFC forum "Best part about Mansfield is their fans and their following! Most noise we’ve heard from the away end in a long time"
Sheffstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Mhancock1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Great day......loved it, proud to be a Stag
Mhancock1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Sheffstag wrote:Wasn't at the game today, but you were loud and proud on ifollow. quote from CCFC forum "Best part about Mansfield is their fans and their following! Most noise we’ve heard from the away end in a long time"

Yet you can hear a pin drop at t'Mill most of the time.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Sheffstag wrote:Wasn't at the game today, but you were loud and proud on ifollow. quote from CCFC forum "Best part about Mansfield is their fans and their following! Most noise we’ve heard from the away end in a long time"

Yet you can hear a pin drop at t'Mill most of the time.

That's two threads you've put the same boring comment as usual. A good day out away and you need to moan about home matches.
Go and have a gallon of those spirits you hate so much
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:15 am

It has a point to it though doesn't it smart arse. The the team played well, the manager and players interviewed made special mention of the volume and fervent nature of the support and what a pleasure it was to get this backing. They never seem to mention the same when we are at home. It's an observation nothing more on my part. I'm pleased we at last turned up in some style on the pitch and we helped them along the way.

Lets see whether we can create similar on Saturday eh. As they say, 'every little helps'.

The 'Kop' area of a ground is important in where it's situated (also the stewards not picking on kids for standing for 10 secs) as players can see it, feel it, and touch it if they want to when it's not stuck up in the gods. The NS was the place to be once and we always seemed to play better playing towards it. Even in the Conf winning season the atmos was so much better when the drum and singers were congregated in the QLE, and I sat there too to join in. I'd go back in in a tick if the atmos generated then returned. I remember Grimsby at home that season when Rheady jumped into the crowd and snapped the stand in two it was great to be a part of it.
Last edited by Spiritater on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 am

I also thought the atmosphere was great, all fans huddled into one small section definitely helps build the atmosphere. I also think as few ‘lads’ saw it as their big day out so there were a few being a little extra boisterous, let’s give it our best shot next week but I’m sure there will be something similar for the upcoming derby game.
Jimstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:29 am

Gutted I wasn't there. That Bradford game in the relegation season was class though, Chander, you're right!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 am

Why are the 1200 or so extra fans at Coventry not at other away games?
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 am

stag861 wrote:Why are the 1200 or so extra fans at Coventry not at other away games?

Because it's a new ground, an attractive fixture and it's only an hour away.

Newport, Cheltenham, Col U etc are none of the above.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 am

stag861 wrote:Why are the 1200 or so extra fans at Coventry not at other away games?

Is that a serious question or are you being ironic?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 am

Sneag wrote:

You are right but it should be about folliwing your team no matter where they play. I can partly understand the very long distances and definitely understand the midweek games but just a extra hour say ftom the distance of Coventry would take you to the majority of the away grounds .

Although some grounds / teams are more attractive to visit than others I also think that when we start selling decent amount of tickets for away games then it has a knock on effect and others start booking .
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 am

tmwilson wrote:
Sneag wrote:

You are right but it should be about folliwing your team no matter where they play. I can partly understand the very long distances and definitely understand the midweek games but just a extra hour say ftom the distance of Coventry would take you to the majority of the away grounds .

Although some grounds / teams are more attractive to visit than others I also think that when we start selling decent amount of tickets for away games then it has a knock on effect and others start booking .

Away day yesterday whilst fairly local still took me out most of the day and separted me & the missus from close to £100. So while more remote and less interesting fixtures might only run to an extra £20 & a couple of hours the vast majority of fans pick & chose away days. Much as I love the Stags the days of blowing a couple of grand a season following them home & away are long gone for me personally.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 am

Did you all manage to “stay calm” when the smoke bomb went off ?
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Sneag wrote:
tmwilson wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Away day yesterday whilst fairly local still took me out most of the day and separted me & the missus from close to £100. So while more remote and less interesting fixtures might only run to an extra £20 & a couple of hours the vast majority of fans pick & chose away days. Much as I love the Stags the days of blowing a couple of grand a season following them home & away are long gone for me personally.

And you've hit the nail on the head there. There's simply no way that personally I could afford regular trips like that for me and my young un. Those that can, all power to your elbow, enjoy it like I used to when I was a single lad living with my parents.

At the start of the season, as a group, we looked at the usual suspects: ch*****field, Counteh, Lincoln and Grimsby, and for the first time we added Coventry. The reasons for that ain't rocket science: large club, spanking brand new stadium, and only 65-70 miles away. I dare say that's how the majority viewed it.

If you budget for a season, when the budget has constraints, why would you highlight an away trip to Barnet or Newport in autumn? March or April with something to play for then the reasons alter but I see no intricate science in working out why so many go to Coventry yet so few go to Cheltenham.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:55 pm

If we start to climb the league away followings will follow suit because we will be seeing performances in-line with yesterday. If we're bottom of the league they will fall away.

Add to that we're still in November, Coventry is a new ground for most and fairly local there's your answer.

Crewe - large following first game of the season full of optimism.
Accy - we never win, still earlier in the season above average core away support
Carlise - due to distance core away support
Lincoln - local derby large following
Cheltenham - Tuesday night, below average core away support
Colchester - on the back of the win against notts county above average core away support
Barnet - Tuesday night below average core support
Newport - on the back poor form, distance below average core support
Shaw Lane - FA Cup sold out allocation, new ground
Coventry - Local, New ground, form has improved via cups large following.

Guaranteed large away followings to come:

Chesterfield and Notts County - attendance will swell if we are doing well in the league.

Potential large away followings:

Swindon and especially Luton - depending where we are in the league when played.

Core support above average:

Port vale? (Tuesday night though), Cambridge

Core support:

Crawley (FA cup weekend before), Morecambe, Exeter (distance)

Dependent on league position March onwards.

Stevenage, Yeovil, Forest Green

Grimbsy and Wycombe unknown as in between Christmas and new year.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:Did you all manage to “stay calm” when the smoke bomb went off ?

Nope I totally lost my raspberries, hitched up my skirt & stood on my seat, shouting "Thomuus!!! THAAH-MUUUS!!! Where's that no good cat?!!!'

I dunno why, but whenever I get pushed into fight or flight mode, I just morph into a cartoon of a fat elderly black lady.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Sneag wrote:
tmwilson wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Another factor is availability. I work on Saturdays, but i have an arrangement whereby I go to all home games and then start my shift at 6pm. They've been good to let me do that so I can't take the mick and ask for away days too. I've only taken off the days we go away to Notts, Lincoln and Chesterfield.

There will be plenty of other fans who have to select only those same away days because of availablity.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum