{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Evans plans January fine-tune

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Evans plans January fine-tune

Postby Bradders » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:37 pm

adamstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
adamstag wrote:We obviously need a new forward.

With the current team he plays it's like playing with 10 men. Angol might not put 100% in all the time (which I mentioned on the 1st game, and still think it's lamentable) but unlike Hemmings he actually scores goals. I just simply can't see SE's fascination in him, he offers absolutely nothing.

Put it this way, does any of the other leading promotion contenders have a forward like him?

like jon stead? who spends half his games on his arse moaning to the ref.

We could use another forward, but then we’ll have a job of keeping 5 strikers happy which isn’t the easiest of jobs

John Stead has scored 5 goals while being injured for part of the season for a side top of the league with a budget not half of ours.

Absolutely, the forward situation is a problem of his creation.

Spencer - has looked off the pace with a poor touch, offering nothing of note in his league appearances
Hemmings - scores a goal about every 9 games - tries hard - we all want him to succeed as he does seem to put the effort it - just not good enough
Angol - Clearly has ability, but doesn't always show it or put in the effort required - does score goals, however.
Sterling-James - doesn't seem to quite know what to do with him.

So in short, he's a massive budget - taken on the 4 above players, and he's relying on the one forward that pre-dated his management tenure here.

Added to the fact he's won 5 out of 16 - it's pretty poor, really.

Sorry it's a rant - but we really shouldn't be where we are in the league with the above problems with the money at his disposal.

I don't count Sterling-James as a striker, but he's a useful forward/wide player. Angol is faintly disappointing, although I'm sure that he puts the effort in. Hemmings is as you say and we all know - a bit of an enigma. I think that it comes down to him not being very good at finishing. Spencer seems a bit average.
It seems that Steve Evans was after a noted striker and never landed one, so we're making do with Rose and whatever was available. I hope that he realises that this goalscoring problem has to be solved urgently.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:49 pm

We are all experts, yet again.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm

oldweststander wrote:We are all experts, yet again.

Do feel free to enlighten us on your thoughts of the above?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:44 pm

No we can all see the league table in the papers ,what cant talk cant lie
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Slackythestag wrote:Personally, I wouldn't bring anyone else in or let anyone leave. The team is starting to show promising signs, County away in the trophy and Exeter at home I thought we was brilliant.

Keep the squad the same, as we may need everyone for a run in the trophy or FA cup and of course the league!

I can't see SE having a smaller squad. I think he will keep the squad size the same or slightly larger. Some changes but not wholesale.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 pm

If we don't get 8 more players Evans might jump ship to ch*****field.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:28 am

Weve got a good squad just the right team hasnt settled yet because of too many changes.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 am

Probably two in and two out.Only two in if they will improve a very good squad.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:57 am

Said before i think he'll move a few around. Can see 4 out 4 in... Mal, JT, Spencer and 1 other out, with a new left back, defensive midfielder, striker and 1 other in.

When the window opens he won't be able to help himself and will start wheeling and dealing.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Personally the only person I would release is the Manager
diablo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum