{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Chickenfeed progression

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Chickenfeed progression

Postby Tre Cool » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:55 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
tmwilson wrote:Does this mean that we will be away to a group winner ?

Yes from the northern region, but not Lincoln.

Well the 'easiest' tie seems to be Port Vale else it's going to be against a League 1 club so I hope we draw them.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby frt1987 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 pm

At least only one of the eight under 23 sides progress in the North...Leicester

Probably be rewarded with a trip to Fleetwood in front of about 700 fans on a cold Tuesday night!
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 pm

Beano wrote:Tables here, we're away to one of the Northern Group winners (excluding Lincoln)

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competiti ... hy/tables/

Well at least most fans will be happy because we won't get an under 21 side. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Beano wrote:Tables here, we're away to one of the Northern Group winners (excluding Lincoln)

One of Fleetwood, Rochdale/Bury, Blackpool, Port Vale, Scunthorpe, Walsall or Bradford. Oh good.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Bradford City for me but probably Rochdale again !!
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:11 pm

steve-hymas wrote:I agree with this competition .it gives young players from higher levels the chance to play against men .
I wish we could enter an under 21s side in the fa trophy .It would be great experience as a group instead of being out on loan .Its good for the national game .
The one about B teams ..don't Barcelona play a B side in the lower leagues..seems to have worked in their favour with young players .food for thought
:mtfc:

No lower league fan will ever agree that Prem U21 sides should replace clubs in the lower League's, so I have to disagree with you here Steve. However, I have no major issue with this comp now the rules have been relaxed and of course it provides additional income.

If a Prem U21 side ever replaced a proper FL club I think I'd be done with football forever.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 pm

I suppose there is an outside chance that the cheats can win their group.

They play Man City U21 in 3 weeks time
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:20 pm

steve-hymas wrote:The one about B teams ..don't Barcelona play a B side in the lower leagues..seems to have worked in their favour with young players .food for thought

It's fine for a minor cup competition with no real history, but not the FA Cup and most certainly not the Football League. That would be appalling.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Marky Mark wrote:

One of Fleetwood, Rochdale/Bury, Blackpool, Port Vale, Scunthorpe, Walsall or Bradford. Oh good.

Stags will play away to one of: Fleetwood/Carlisle, Blackpool, Rochdale/Bury, Port Vale, Walsall, Bradford/Chesterfield, Scunthorpe.

Note that Chesterfield's last match is not until Nov 29, so I think we can assume the draw won't be until after that.

see later post
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Rob wrote:
steve-hymas wrote:I agree with this competition .it gives young players from higher levels the chance to play against men .
I wish we could enter an under 21s side in the fa trophy .It would be great experience as a group instead of being out on loan .Its good for the national game .
The one about B teams ..don't Barcelona play a B side in the lower leagues..seems to have worked in their favour with young players .food for thought

No lower league fan will ever agree that Prem U21 sides should replace clubs in the lower League's, so I have to disagree with you here Steve. However, I have no major issue with this comp now the rules have been relaxed and of course it provides additional income.

If a Prem U21 side ever replaced a proper FL club I think I'd be done with football forever.

The premier league will destroy lower league football through greed, they are already looking at moving FA cup games to midweek from 2021 because the premier league want more Saturday slots to make yet more money abroad. So in future that 3rd round game so many teams look forward to could be on a Tuesday night hitting lower clubs harder than their premier league counterparts.

The spainish football league doesn't compare to the depth of the english football league system. So Steves argument about Barcelona B / Real Madrid B very is concerning given his position in the club. I for one wouldn't be be happy about Mansfield Town making way for Manchester United B, and the championship becoming littered with premier league B teams - it would kill football outside the premier league.

It would never be about Mansfield gaining a B side either (there are at least 68 clubs in front of us in that queue, the pie is only so big) it is only premier league teams benefitting at the expense of lower league teams like ourselves and taking our league status.

Theres one word for it and its greed, and i hope it never happens in the league.
Last edited by Stags 2002 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby steve-hymas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 pm

:mtfc: To be honest I never expected anyone to agree with me but I do see the benefits to youth development .would not want any to replace a team .just be able to play against them .say Mansfield Town B in the north east counties .
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:09 am

looks like they're making it up as they go along...
from https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2017/novemb ... ophy_draw/
Clubs will remain regionalised with each group winner being drawn at home to a second placed club from a different qualifying group.

Each regional section will be split into two separate draws - Draw A and Draw B.

DRAW A will consist of the four winners from Groups A, B, C & D and the four runners up from Groups E, F, G & H.

DRAW B will consist of the four winners from Groups E, F, G & H and the four runners up from Groups A, B, C & D.

Hence, we will be away to one of: Fleetwood/Carlisle, Blackpool, Rochdale/Bury, Port Vale.

And the draw is Friday at 6.30pm

Checkatrade Trophy Round Two dates are: Week commencing 4th December 2017 (from https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/key-dates/)
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:05 am

Martin Shaw wrote:looks like they're making it up as they go along...
Clubs will remain regionalised with each group winner being drawn at home to a second placed club from a different qualifying group.

Each regional section will be split into two separate draws - Draw A and Draw B.

DRAW A will consist of the four winners from Groups A, B, C & D and the four runners up from Groups E, F, G & H.

DRAW B will consist of the four winners from Groups E, F, G & H and the four runners up from Groups A, B, C & D.

Hence, we will be away to one of: Fleetwood/Carlisle, Blackpool, Rochdale/Bury, Port Vale.

Checkatrade Trophy Round Two dates are: Week commencing 4th December 2017 (from https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/key-dates/)

I am fairly sure that is the same way it was done last season Martin.
Dave Wayne
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:49 am

No easy gams then?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:34 am

When I saw Danny Cowley hugging Kevin Nolan before kick off tonight I was a tad concerned that we would be exiting the competition. But then seeing Lincoln have 7 of their first team players who played Saturday & Greeny & Nathan Arnold on the bench it looked like he was taking it seriously, and he did. It was a brilliant goal that won it. Notts made 11 changes bizarrely. And it peed it down all night & it was cold.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:11 am

Bradders wrote:Looks like the Gillingham match was good value!

12 goals, ten different scorers a missed penalty and a disallowed goal...
halifaxstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:17 am

Stags 2002 wrote:
Rob wrote:

The premier league will destroy lower league football through greed, they are already looking at moving FA cup games to midweek from 2021 because the premier league want more Saturday slots to make yet more money abroad. So in future that 3rd round game so many teams look forward to could be on a Tuesday night hitting lower clubs harder than their premier league counterparts.

The spainish football league doesn't compare to the depth of the english football league system. So Steves argument about Barcelona B / Real Madrid B very is concerning given his position in the club. I for one wouldn't be be happy about Mansfield Town making way for Manchester United B, and the championship becoming littered with premier league B teams - it would kill football outside the premier league.

It would never be about Mansfield gaining a B side either (there are at least 68 clubs in front of us in that queue, the pie is only so big) it is only premier league teams benefitting at the expense of lower league teams like ourselves and taking our league status.

Theres one word for it and its greed, and i hope it never happens in the league.
Sky tv, and as a consequence all the money they pump into the Premier League has destroyed the lower league clubs and youth football. But ask yourself who is funding sky tv ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 am

Stags 2002 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Great post. I have to agree that given the opportunity cash rich clubs such as those in the Prem will eventually monopolize the Championship, as they have riches beyond our comprehension. They 'will get the rules changed' to be able to play more of their reserves in these games and the TV companies will have a hard on at the prospect of Manure B v City B whilst clubs, 'proper clubs' mind will be left with little or nothing as they scrabble for the scraps left.

To put our U21's into the Trophy would also be wrong. It's a non league competition and it should stay that way for ever.

The FA Cup should remain where it is. It is the the lifeblood of smaller clubs and sets some clubs up for years to come. Then of course the Prem clubs have mooted 'no replays' also which again would impact on small clubs finances should they take a Prem club to a replay like Camb U did to Utd a few years back.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 am

steve-hymas wrote::mtfc: To be honest I never expected anyone to agree with me but I do see the benefits to youth development .would not want any to replace a team .just be able to play against them .say Mansfield Town B in the north east counties .

But SE could've given a run out to some like Hakeem, Blake, Wilson in the Chickenfeed but chose not to give any of them a 10 minute run out even.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 am

Steve talks about u21 teams playing in such as the NCEL. I seem to recall years ago our youth teams playing in local league football. Is there a rule that stops the u21s starting at the bottom of the pyramid. If they apply a strict rule of no over age players the team would soon find a level
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:04 am

Surprising view from a representative of a lower league club. The acceptance of B teams into this competition is already paving the way for acceptance into the league.

The biggest problem with having an U21 team in the league is that it is not a separate entity from the 1st team.

At the very least, if U21 teams want to be in the football league they should join at the bottom of the pyramid like every one else and they should be a separate entity to the first team and be subject to the same transfer and financial rules as the rest of us. ie, if a u21 is wanted in the first team, they need to be transferred out of the B team and will become ineligible to play at the lower level and vice a versa.

A look at the u21 teams so far suggests they would struggle to make the FL if they start from the bottom anyway.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:21 am

If these so called u21 / u23 teams did come into the league then after one season they would all be relegated to the conference following the current results. At which point would Everton, for example, say enough is enough, I don't want our u21s in the evostick.
It concerns me also, that these U21 teams are supposed to be the creme de la creme of future football and hardly any of them can beat teams of journeymen footballers.
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:04 am

Martin Shaw wrote:we will be away to one of: Fleetwood/Carlisle, Blackpool, Rochdale/Bury, Port Vale.

And the draw is Friday at 6.30pm[/b]

Carlisle vs Fleetwood tonight. Carlisle need to win by 2 goals to win the group. Otherwise it will be Fleetwood who win the group.
Bury vs Stoke U23 tonight. Bury need to win by 7 (or might be 8, either way - highly unlikely) goals to win the group. Otherwise it will be Rochdale who win the group.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 am

Find it scary that someone working at the club looks at U21s playing in our competitions as a good idea. Playing a barely competitive game 3 times a season against league 2 sides is not going to make England world cup winners...
You bring the example of Barca playing B sides as working for them. That is an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it. Young players playing against men is a good way of improving them, but a better way of doing so would be to have a quota of young english players in premier league first teams, or going on loan to lower league teams. Why should the responsibility of improving England fall on the shoulders of teams like us, when we are given pathetic sums of money in comparison to the giants of English football?
Hjeldefan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby H_o_l_l_o » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:looks like they're making it up as they go along...

I am fairly sure that is the same way it was done last season Martin.

We beat Carlisle 3-2, at their place, in round 2 last season
H_o_l_l_o
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum