{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Spot kicks

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Spot kicks

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Richie Barker was quite reliable from the spot from memory.

Just had a quick look think he scored around 13 pens.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2039
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Spot kicks

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm

The only problem with the keeper taking a penalty is that he'd be about 90 yards out of position if he missed it. Imagine conceding straight from a missed penalty. They should do a version of the half time draw, and pick someone from the crowd to take it.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
User avatar
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Spot kicks

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Marky Mark wrote:The only problem with the keeper taking a penalty is that he'd be about 90 yards out of position if he missed it. Imagine conceding straight from a missed penalty. They should do a version of the half time draw, and pick someone from the crowd to take it.



Plus keeper's aren't renowned for keeping their 'wang it son!' shots low ;)

Seem to recall Greenie was a dab hand with penos
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Spot kicks

Postby Foxy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:25 pm

great peno takers can see the keeper move and even if theyve decided theyre going that way change it. Unfortunately ours don't yet seem to posses that ability.

And stop kicking em at waist height please, thank you :)
User avatar
Foxy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4526
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: At the Coop

Re: Spot kicks

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Steve "Charlie" Charles was pretty good at taking penalties.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Spot kicks

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Jason White can bang them in



Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Spot kicks

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve "Charlie" Charles was pretty good at taking penalties.


He was, he must have missed but I'm struggling to recall one. Sweet left peg.
User avatar
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Spot kicks

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve "Charlie" Charles was pretty good at taking penalties.


He was, he must have missed but I'm struggling to recall one. Sweet left peg.

your memory is failing you Rob! He missed one of the most famous penalties in our history, at home to Wimbledon in the FA Cup 4th round in 1988, in front of 10,500 at Field Mill, and Wimbledon went on to win the FA Cup. Dave Beasant saved his penalty, and went on to save another in the FA Cup final. Later I seem to recall that Beasant boasted that he had been studying Charles's penalties from the 1987 FRT win at Wembley. Yet Charles hadn't even played in that game!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15017
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Spot kicks

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:12 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve "Charlie" Charles was pretty good at taking penalties.


He was, he must have missed but I'm struggling to recall one. Sweet left peg.

your memory is failing you Rob! He missed one of the most famous penalties in our history, at home to Wimbledon in the FA Cup 4th round in 1988, in front of 10,500 at Field Mill, and Wimbledon went on to win the FA Cup. Dave Beasant saved his penalty, and went on to save another in the FA Cup final. Later I seem to recall that Beasant boasted that he had been studying Charles's penalties from the 1987 FRT win at Wembley. Yet Charles hadn't even played in that game!


How could I forget that one, I was in the North Stand so saw it at very close quarter. To be fair it was a good save. I don't think he missed many though, a player I really liked as I think has been discussed on here before - a key member of a rejuvenated side following the misery of the early 80s.
User avatar
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Spot kicks

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 am

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve "Charlie" Charles was pretty good at taking penalties.


He was, he must have missed but I'm struggling to recall one. Sweet left peg.

your memory is failing you Rob! He missed one of the most famous penalties in our history, at home to Wimbledon in the FA Cup 4th round in 1988, in front of 10,500 at Field Mill, and Wimbledon went on to win the FA Cup. Dave Beasant saved his penalty, and went on to save another in the FA Cup final. Later I seem to recall that Beasant boasted that he had been studying Charles's penalties from the 1987 FRT win at Wembley. Yet Charles hadn't even played in that game!


How could I forget that one, I was in the North Stand so saw it at very close quarter. To be fair it was a good save. I don't think he missed many though, a player I really liked as I think has been discussed on here before - a key member of a rejuvenated side following the misery of the early 80s.

agreed, he was a fine player and scored most of his penalties. The only Stags player I can recall with a Maths degree!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15017
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Spot kicks

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:06 pm

What's our worse season on missing penalties I rember the the season Stags missed two against Spurs home n away that season must be up there for missing the most. A figure of 8 penalties missed without looking it up if my memory serves me correctly.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Spot kicks

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Kevin Hitchcock would have been a good bet as a keeper/taker. Remember him playing in a couple of testimonials as a forward and he looked quite handy. Also had a bit of pace so would have been able to get back if he missed it...
halifaxstag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Spot kicks

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 pm

All time Stags pen taker Peter Morris
yellowstagsfan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:01 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bobbystagsfan, MTFCMusings, pemill, Sneag, spireite_uk, Stags 2002 and 26 guests