{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Spot kicks

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Spot kicks

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Richie Barker was quite reliable from the spot from memory.

Just had a quick look think he scored around 13 pens.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm

The only problem with the keeper taking a penalty is that he'd be about 90 yards out of position if he missed it. Imagine conceding straight from a missed penalty. They should do a version of the half time draw, and pick someone from the crowd to take it.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Marky Mark wrote:The only problem with the keeper taking a penalty is that he'd be about 90 yards out of position if he missed it. Imagine conceding straight from a missed penalty. They should do a version of the half time draw, and pick someone from the crowd to take it.

Plus keeper's aren't renowned for keeping their 'wang it son!' shots low ;)

Seem to recall Greenie was a dab hand with penos
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:25 pm

great peno takers can see the keeper move and even if theyve decided theyre going that way change it. Unfortunately ours don't yet seem to posses that ability.

And stop kicking em at waist height please, thank you :)
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Steve "Charlie" Charles was pretty good at taking penalties.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Jason White can bang them in

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve "Charlie" Charles was pretty good at taking penalties.

He was, he must have missed but I'm struggling to recall one. Sweet left peg.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve "Charlie" Charles was pretty good at taking penalties.

your memory is failing you Rob! He missed one of the most famous penalties in our history, at home to Wimbledon in the FA Cup 4th round in 1988, in front of 10,500 at Field Mill, and Wimbledon went on to win the FA Cup. Dave Beasant saved his penalty, and went on to save another in the FA Cup final. Later I seem to recall that Beasant boasted that he had been studying Charles's penalties from the 1987 FRT win at Wembley. Yet Charles hadn't even played in that game!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:12 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:

your memory is failing you Rob! He missed one of the most famous penalties in our history, at home to Wimbledon in the FA Cup 4th round in 1988, in front of 10,500 at Field Mill, and Wimbledon went on to win the FA Cup. Dave Beasant saved his penalty, and went on to save another in the FA Cup final. Later I seem to recall that Beasant boasted that he had been studying Charles's penalties from the 1987 FRT win at Wembley. Yet Charles hadn't even played in that game!

How could I forget that one, I was in the North Stand so saw it at very close quarter. To be fair it was a good save. I don't think he missed many though, a player I really liked as I think has been discussed on here before - a key member of a rejuvenated side following the misery of the early 80s.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 am

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:

How could I forget that one, I was in the North Stand so saw it at very close quarter. To be fair it was a good save. I don't think he missed many though, a player I really liked as I think has been discussed on here before - a key member of a rejuvenated side following the misery of the early 80s.

agreed, he was a fine player and scored most of his penalties. The only Stags player I can recall with a Maths degree!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:06 pm

What's our worse season on missing penalties I rember the the season Stags missed two against Spurs home n away that season must be up there for missing the most. A figure of 8 penalties missed without looking it up if my memory serves me correctly.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Kevin Hitchcock would have been a good bet as a keeper/taker. Remember him playing in a couple of testimonials as a forward and he looked quite handy. Also had a bit of pace so would have been able to get back if he missed it...
halifaxstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 pm

All time Stags pen taker Peter Morris
yellowstagsfan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum