{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Shaw Lane FA Cup scorefred sponsored by Fyffes banana skins

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Shaw Lane FA Cup scorefred sponsored by Fyffes banana sk

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:It was a very competent performance against a committed and quite physical side, and a win at this stage is more than welcome.

The Shaw Lane club were very welcoming and it was especially surprising to be able to park free of charge in the martialled car-park next to the ground.

On a less positive note, I found the actions of about 30-odd so-called Stags fans immediately behind the goal appalling and they are an embarrassment to th Club (IMO)

I thought you'd resgned from here in a strop?

No, Grimmers. I was hacked.

Painful..

I’m a brave soldier
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm so pleased we are through, these games are just about winning, it took 2 moments of magic from Danny Rose, but they came from superb crosses!
What annoyed me was the delivery of set pieces today, I thought Byrom was better than that? And CJ was non existant, saying that we needed to get it out side and let our wingers run at them, but the surface was heavy, so maybe it wasn't suited to that.
Anyone know the official crowd for the game?
1970Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:07 pm

1970Stag wrote:I'm so pleased we are through, these games are just about winning, it took 2 moments of magic from Danny Rose, but they came from superb crosses!
What annoyed me was the delivery of set pieces today, I thought Byrom was better than that? And CJ was non existant, saying that we needed to get it out side and let our wingers run at them, but the surface was heavy, so maybe it wasn't suited to that.
Anyone know the official crowd for the game?

See Martin’s report
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Was never going to steam roll past them... its the FA cup and they gave their all... but the result was never in any doubt, at 1-1 you knew stags would win. Two great goals won it.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:33 pm

1970Stag wrote:Anyone know the official crowd for the game?

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby e4d0 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 am

kyle b wrote:Thought we did well under the conditions awful pitch to play football on cj macca mellis rose stood out Byrom did what he does well under the radar. Anderson played well at right back. Worst player for me was benning again every pass he made went astray. But 85k in the pot one more round to go till the big boys. On to Coventry Coys

Good post. That is exactly how i seen it.
e4d0
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:09 am

Bit harsh on benning, he was involved in the build up to the penalty. And wasn’t it his cross that danny rose headed in?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 am

If it'd been a PSF and we'd walked away with a 3-1 win we'd have been happy. It was much, much more than that for us and SL as the riches it brings are immense to small clubs like us. It was Shaw Lane's cup final and they've done well to get to round one and made a substantial amount of prize money along the way. This added to the TV cash they've got will safeguard their club for seasons to come.
For us the 3-1 win was expected and all be for 15mins at the end of the first half we were always in control. I doubt Conrad had anything to do 2nd half at all, it was a breeze. 4 or 5-1 wouldn't have flattered us at all.
You always turn up to these things with a little voice at the back of your head whispering 'what if' but it soon became apparent that SL could give no more as they were playing at the top of their game. We however had extra gears to move into and 2nd half it proved so.

Our journey is just starting and hopefuly it's going to go around a few more turns before it ends.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:34 am

JimmyMac wrote:What did Dean Saunders mean after the game when he asked evo if he was giving Rose a contract and evo didn’t answer him?? :coys:

Well, I took it that he meant that he needs to sign him up on a long contract.

And as for the not hearing him but, well, he didn’t hear him.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:21 am

A dreadful pitch yet a few seem unhappy we didn't pass the ball more. A gutsy team playing at home used to this pitch and some feel we should have buried em 6-0.

If it'd been played at field mill I would have agreed, but to go to the plucky underdogs ground I couldn't ever have imagined a slick performance, nor a game where the home team didn't get at least a couple of gilt edged chances.

Personally that game was how I'd guessed it would be
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
1970Stag wrote:Anyone know the official crowd for the game?

That was not a sell out in the home ends then? They must be disappointed with that.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:08 pm

I guess Barnsley were at home on the same day and Shaw Lane are their equivalent to AFC Mansfield.

Wouldn't it be the sort of gate you'd possibly expect if, for instance, AFC played at home to Rotherham?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:18 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Bit harsh on benning, he was involved in the build up to the penalty. And wasn’t it his cross that danny rose headed in?

I think it was Joel Byrom who supplied the cross for Danny Rose's header. Adam Virgo got it wrong (as usual) on BT Sport.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:31 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Bit harsh on benning, he was involved in the build up to the penalty. And wasn’t it his cross that danny rose headed in?

Didn't have a great game, but I was impressed with his professionalism when the Shaw Lane player clattered him. It was reminiscent of some tackles I was at the end of in Sunday League all those years ago. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Benning is a complete liability defensively ,
abc
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:22 pm

The thing is with Benning (and SE knows this) is he works well with CJ as CJ'll cover for Benning if he goes on a foray. Hunt is just a defender and seems to have no attacking intent in him.
Mal will come good again as the saying goes, 'you don't become a bad player over night'.

Seems some on here have him nailed on as the teams new whipping boy.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Hunt is a better defender than Benning. Stags are a better team with Benning playing than they are with Hunt.

It's a funny game Saint.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Sneag wrote:Hunt is a better defender than Benning. Stags are a better team with Benning playing than they are with Hunt.

It's a funny game Saint.

Yes it is Greavsie
I am Spartacus
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Spiritater wrote:The thing is with Benning (and SE knows this) is he works well with CJ as CJ'll cover for Benning if he goes on a foray. Hunt is just a defender and seems to have no attacking intent in him.
Mal will come good again as the saying goes, 'you don't become a bad player over night'.

I watched hunt get to the half way line once and had a great opportunity to sprint into the space and get the ball back from atkinson who was looking to make the pass and he literally put the brakes on and got back into position.... Id stick with Benning for the time being and get a complete LB in january.... or recall Taft, he's pretty decent there.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby abc » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Spiritater wrote:The thing is with Benning (and SE knows this) is he works well with CJ as CJ'll cover for Benning if he goes on a foray. Hunt is just a defender and seems to have no attacking intent in him.

I watched hunt get to the half way line once and had a great opportunity to sprint into the space and get the ball back from atkinson who was looking to make the pass and he literally put the brakes on and got back into position.... Id stick with Benning for the time being and get a complete LB in january.... or recall Taft, he's pretty decent there.

I can really see 6"3 inch centre half George Taft bombing on past CJ down the wing !
abc
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:25 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
JimmyMac wrote:What did Dean Saunders mean after the game when he asked evo if he was giving Rose a contract and evo didn’t answer him?? :coys:

Well, I took it that he meant that he needs to sign him up on a long contract.

And as for the not hearing him but, well, he didn’t hear him.

Exactly. Nothing to read into.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:50 pm

abc wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

I can really see 6"3 inch centre half George Taft bombing on past CJ down the wing !

Usain Bolt is 6ft 5in ;)

Maybe we shouls sign him a la Daly Thompson. :D
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:12 pm

many on here were saying that mal was one of the best left backs in the league and now they all think he’s crap. Yeah he’s made a few mistakes but who doesn’t in league 2? He will come good again, he had a good season with us last year.

Hunt is also a good option, but more defensive than mal
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:22 pm

Agree Bobby, in Mal's first season he was up there for me as player of the year early on. He then did his ligament in his knee which took a lot out of him and set him back.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Spiritater wrote:Agree Bobby, in Mal's first season he was up there for me as player of the year early on. He then did his ligament in his knee which took a lot out of him and set him back.

I don’t think he’s been the same since his injury, but he’s still a good player. we could do much much worse
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum