{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby Stockportstag » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 pm

NAFC
Stockportstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:44 am

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Stockportstag wrote:NAFC


North Allerton Football Club?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby Stockportstag » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:47 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Stockportstag wrote:NAFC


North Allerton Football Club?


Fill in the blanks
---/-/-------/------
Stockportstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:44 am

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Would rather go up in the play offs having concentrated on the FA cup so we get to Wembley twice.

Mansfield for the cup - Yellows!!!
I am Spartacus
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 am

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:54 pm

I'd rather us get promoted at field mill, the new wembley is awful
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2694
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm assuming 81 points will achieve automatic promotion (top 3)

Current Table,

PLD........W........D.......L.......PTS
14...........5.........5........4........20

Required, for 81 points total,

PLD.......W.......D.......L.........PTS
32.........20.......1.......11........61
32.........19.......4........9.........61
32.........18.......7........7.........61 :D
32.........17......10.......5.........61
32.........16......13.......3.........61
32.........15......16.......1.........61

We've currently got 1.43 points per game, where as we need 1.76 PPG over 46 games, therefore we now need 1.90 PPG for the remaining 32 games (Steve Evans recently referred to 2.0 PPG gets you promoted)

Last season, Steve Evans games achieved 1.56 PPG.

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
User avatar
KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 am

Highly unlikely, and Vice President summed it up perfectly for me. I just cannot see any grounds other than just blind optimism that this team are going to challenge even for a playoff place. We have to hope the likes of Accy and Newport fall away.
As for the Direites....they won't be in the bottom two at the end of the season, much as it pains me to say it. I'd love them to have a spell of Braintree etc, and FA Trophy.

As has also been said, the next two games are key, lose them and bar a miracle it's Orbison, regardless of the time of year and how much time left.
Mr Grimsdale
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby scottyd281 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:15 am

Not a cats in hell chance. Playoff position at best and that in my opinion is going to be a struggle.

Last 6 games

W 2
L 3
D 1

GF...5
GA...10

Is not a top 3 side form, in my opinion.
scottyd281
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:05 am

NOT A CHANCE
(sad to say)
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4817
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: North Notts

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby kyle b » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:11 am

100% we can. Bout time some on here got behind the team. We have played 14 games and are 9 points off 3rd. Sure some folk on here want us to fail 90% of people on here only seem to want to post doom and gloom
kyle b
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby kyle b » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:15 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:NOT A CHANCE
(sad to say)

I think you want us to fail
kyle b
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:17 am

kyle b wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:NOT A CHANCE
(sad to say)

I think you want us to fail


You need thinking lessons, young man!
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4817
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: North Notts

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby The One » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:23 am

I will go opposite to Edwinstowe view. Yes I feel we will get playoffs at least. We have quality players and once Evans plays the right ones in right formation it will click. Forget this gel garbage, if they do not know each other now they never will. The non acquisition of a striker for whatever reason was a let down but we May get one January who knows.
All thats needed is for team to "click" string a few results together and we are up and running, we are not going to win every game that's just fantasy and unrealistic.
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8868
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am

We might still threaten the play offs but nothing ive seen suggests top 3 is realistic.

We have the players, on paper, but our formation and style of play doesn't suit them and clearly isnt working. If our form doesn't change soon then Evans will have to go.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am

In fairness the fixture list hasn't been kind to us and we haven't had a perceived run of easier games as of yet - where as other clubs have.

Based on current league position we have a run starting 21/11 against

Port vale 22nd
Spireites 24th
Crawley 19th
Yeovil 18th
Morecambe 21st

If we are serious about promotion we need to hit form before these games and win all 5. Only concern is with Port Vale and Spireites getting new managers could improve their fortunes when other clubs have had points gift wrapped.

Take Accrington for example same period of games have the following fixtures.

Wycombe 4th
Exeter 3rd
Swindon 10th
Lincoln 9th
Crawley 19th

Arguably a much tougher run of games with 4 top 10 teams.

We do need to start putting wins together though that includes today.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:02 am

The One wrote:I will go opposite to Edwinstowe view. Yes I feel we will get playoffs at least. We have quality players and once Evans plays the right ones in right formation it will click. Forget this gel garbage, if they do not know each other now they never will. The non acquisition of a striker for whatever reason was a let down but we May get one January who knows.
All thats needed is for team to "click" string a few results together and we are up and running, we are not going to win every game that's just fantasy and unrealistic.


I really hope that you’re right and that I’m wrong.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4817
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: North Notts

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:01 pm

kyle b wrote:100% we can. Bout time some on here got behind the team. We have played 14 games and are 9 points off 3rd. Sure some folk on here want us to fail 90% of people on here only seem to want to post doom and gloom




No they don't Kyle, it's a discussion board where different opinions are shared and everyone has that right.
You are obviously a passionate fan like all of us on here are.
This board though is one of the few outlets where you express yourself and give a view however unpalatable to some that is.
I go to the games and have done for 45 years, but that doesn't give me any more right to an opinion than you. However I would never make the assertion that you have, where you say some people want them to fail. That's just wrong.
We all want to win and be successful but frankly on the field at the moment more things are wrong than right.
I get behind the team when I'm there and never boo, but wanting them to fail? No.
I saw the 'singing section' on Sat or rather a fair few, singing all sorts of guff about us being s**+, first half same people getting behind the team. That's football fans for you.
Mr Grimsdale
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
kyle b wrote:100% we can. Bout time some on here got behind the team. We have played 14 games and are 9 points off 3rd. Sure some folk on here want us to fail 90% of people on here only seem to want to post doom and gloom




No they don't Kyle, it's a discussion board where different opinions are shared and everyone has that right.
You are obviously a passionate fan like all of us on here are.
This board though is one of the few outlets where you express yourself and give a view however unpalatable to some that is.
I go to the games and have done for 45 years, but that doesn't give me any more right to an opinion than you. However I would never make the assertion that you have, where you say some people want them to fail. That's just wrong.
We all want to win and be successful but frankly on the field at the moment more things are wrong than right.
I get behind the team when I'm there and never boo, but wanting them to fail? No.
I saw the 'singing section' on Sat or rather a fair few, singing all sorts of guff about us being s**+, first half same people getting behind the team. That's football fans for you.


Well said, Grimmers!
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4817
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: North Notts

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm assuming 81 points will achieve automatic promotion (top 3)

Current Table,

PLD........W........D.......L.......PTS
15...........5.........6........4........21 :shock:

Required, for 81 points total,

PLD.......W.......D.......L.........PTS
31.........20.......0.......11........60
31.........19.......3........9.........60
31.........18.......6........7.........60 :D
31.........17.......9........5.........60
31.........16......12.......3.........60
31.........15......15.......1.........60

We've currently got 1.40 points per game, where as we need 1.76 PPG over 46 games, therefore we now need 1.94 PPG for the remaining 31 games (Steve Evans recently referred to 2.0 PPG gets you promoted)

Last season, Steve Evans games achieved 1.56 PPG.

We've gone from all the pre-season optimism as bookies favourites to win the league to the reality of being like one of them sad stories on the X factor :shock:

Spent all that money on players and we've got a worse PPG record than last season!!!!

The pre-match talk about whoever we're playing being a tough game against "insert team name" and they'll be top 7 or thereabouts at the end of the season is becoming a joke. We're in League 2, not the Champions League.

Hanging on for a point at Newport is not a good point if you're expecting promotion.

I think the League table will be testing JR's patience, we're in the BOTTOM HALF :shock: and closer to the bottom 3 (7 points) than we are to the top 3 (8 points).

On current form, 6 games we're 4th from bottom, and 4 games we're bottom :shock:

Very disappointing :shock:

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
User avatar
KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 pm

As already mentioned - the squad have the potential to put us right up there, but it's really down to getting the team cohesion and spirit right.

Counteh have show that an average squad with a couple of decent acquisitions are capable of making it - no reason we can't overtake them IF we can get a team committed and co-ordinated
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm assuming 81 points will achieve automatic promotion (top 3)

Current Table,

PLD........W........D.......L.......PTS
16...........5.........7........4........22 :shock:

Required, for 81 points total,

PLD.......W.......D.......L.........PTS
30.........19.......2........9.........59
30.........18.......5........7.........59
30.........17.......8........5.........59 :D
30.........16......11.......3.........59
30.........15......14.......1.........59

We've currently got 1.37 points per game, where as we need 1.76 PPG over 46 games, therefore we now need 1.96 PPG for the remaining 31 games

Points wise we're closer to the bottom 2 than we're to the top 3 :shock:

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
User avatar
KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 pm

Unlkely, but I hope so.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:25 pm

We have got no chance of finishing in the top 3. We are can't keep a clean sheet, can't dominate midfield, and can't take our chances.
Furthermore, our tactics and substitutions are all wrong at the moment. So everything would have to massively to change for us to be top 3 this season. Possible, but not probable.

My prediction is that we will finish just outside the play-offs this season. However, we could with the right support, and lessons learned, gain promotion next season.

This is the voice of reason. As I have said for a while now ...... we need to be patient. Much more patient. :)
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Agree VP, that plea will have fallen on deaf ears.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby geoffhill » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:28 pm

After the excellent performance against Exeter I see no reason why we can't make the playoffs.We are currently 3/1 for promotion.Considering our position a bit mean.Keep the faith.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1951stagsfan, area2704, Bing [Bot], bluenyellow, Bradders, magicstag, Nutty Stag, ParisStag, Spiritater and 24 guests