{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Best ever Stags keeper?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Best ever Stags keeper?

Postby spainmick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 pm

I would say Rod Arnold
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 pm

my first memory when i was 4 was being in the north stand and seeing the ball heading towards the top corner of the net then suddenly seeing the goalie diving like superman and tipping it round the post and i come away from match thinking wow that was magical .
And the goalie was Rod Arnold , he was not that big but he had the heart of Lion .
Not only the best keeper but my favourite player of all time

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Hollins was capped 11 times for his country. He was loaned to top flight Nottingham Forest to replace their number 1 keeper, Alan Hill who had broken his arm. We were loaned Duncan McKenzie in return. For that reason ( to be good enough to play in the top flight whilst still a Stags player ), is why I rate him the best.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Wales!! A decent 4th division club could've beaten them in those days.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 pm

That Gibbo lad we had on trial. Cracking he was.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Gibbo could've been the next Yashin if he'd kept off the ale Jak....oops sorry Richard.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:11 pm

Hagerty, F.

Or Rod Arnold.
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Rod Arnold is the keeper in my all time best XI. The best I've seen.

For those interested in Dave Hollins, I interviewed him a few years ago and it is here. I hope you'd find it worth listening to--> http://www.stagsnet.net/news/newsdetail ... ewsid=4241
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Waggy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Rod Arnold closely followed by Kevin Hitchcock. Marriott was good, but remember he mostly played in the Rola Cola League. Pilkington was ok and Ward went onto better things. I also liked Andy Beasley

Anyone remember Martin New? saved a load of penalties against Partick Thistle in the Ango-Scottish Cup?
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yaxhamstag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:57 am

Keith Cassells anyone.......?

Rod followed by Hitchy.
yaxhamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:39 am

In my time watching Stags.

Rod Arnold
Kevin Hitchcock
Alan Marriott

Think we could have had a couple more seasons out of Mazza if his contract had been renewed. I do not think we have had a better keeper since he left.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 am

I remember us losing at home, the game was about done one day, and more or less the whole of the North and West Stands started singing

'Arnold, Arnold, Born is the King of Field Mill'.

He just stood at the edge of the penalty area and raised one hand to the crowd. No gloves either when he played mostly.

Legend, in just about the truest sense of the word.
Mr Grimsdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazzert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:26 am

Waggy wrote:Rod Arnold closely followed by Kevin Hitchcock. Marriott was good, but remember he mostly played in the Rola Cola League. Pilkington was ok and Ward went onto better things. I also liked Andy Beasley

Anyone remember Martin New? saved a load of penalties against Partick Thistle in the Ango-Scottish Cup?

I have the (dubious) pleasure of working with him... top fella but a proper pain in the ass!! :lol:

He does have a soft spot for the Stags though.
Gaz.
gazzert
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tinman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Will never forget those days in a packed north stand. The opposition had a corner, muddy pitch,rain or snow , big forwards , Rod would come out in a crowd of giants and rise above like a cat and pluck that ball from the air clutching it to his chest then quickly dispatch to the wing and jimmy took it in his stride and off he went. The best ever and will never be the like
:good_post:
First Stags Match Stags 0 Crewe 0, 14th September 1974
tinman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm

The name Rod Arnold is synonymous with Mansfield Town for me, he was the goalkeeper when my Dad first took me as a 5 year old and got me hooked, and from then on I pored over as many programmes and match reports as I could get my hands on and his was always the first name that followed Mansfield Town.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Expat Stag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Played with Rod in his post pro career Saturday amateur Lg side. He was an incredible outfield player too, best player in the side by a country mile. Super competitive bloke.

Often wonder what level he'd be playing at in todays game. Much higher than he did i'd have to assume as he merited playing at a higher level even back in his day.
Hope I'm wrong
Expat Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Rod Arnold for me without thinking about it. A fantastic keeper

His height or lack of it held him back ......but I remember a save ( think it was against Cambridge) which was similar to Banks Pele save.

Hitchcock and then Ward. Hollins was ok but for anyone who thinks he was better than Rod I think there is a bit of a rose tinted view but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good keeper. Remember when he went to Forest ( and I witnesses a v good Performance v Man U) he wasn't in our first team
yorkstag
First Team
First Team

Postby spizz fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Rod Arnold, the save against Crystal Palace better than Gordon Banks from Pele
Stag for life not just for Wembley
spizz fan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm

yorkstag wrote:Rod Arnold for me without thinking about it. A fantastic keeper

His height or lack of it held him back ......but I remember a save ( think it was against Cambridge) which was similar to Banks Pele save.

Hitchcock and then Ward. Hollins was ok but for anyone who thinks he was better than Rod I think there is a bit of a rose tinted view but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good keeper. Remember when he went to Forest ( and I witnesses a v good Performance v Man U) he wasn't in our first team
Its all about opinion. But it isn't about rose tinted specticals. Rod was a superb keeper. His Achilles heel was his lack of height. That was a plus for The Stags as he would have played at the top level and not for us if he had been bigger in stature. Hollins did play at the top level, incredibly whilst a Stags player.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Who was the lad that played half a dozen games them went to Manchester City....

He was ok while at the Stags...
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby cassisclass » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Rod Arnold typified what was great about that magnificent side in the mid/late 70's.
A side with a mixture of heart, guts, passion and a never say die attitude that gripped everyone that witnessed those glory years. This along with the heady North Stand atmosphere, set the seeds for my undying loyalty that lives on to this day.
A side that invariably was present week in week out, creating a bond and understanding that has never been repeated and never ever will again.
cassisclass
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Rod Arnold for me without thinking about it. A fantastic keeper

Its all about opinion. But it isn't about rose tinted specticals. Rod was a superb keeper. His Achilles heel was his lack of height. That was a plus for The Stags as he would have played at the top level and not for us if he had been bigger in stature. Hollins did play at the top level, incredibly whilst a Stags player.

And Hollins' distribution was better than Arnold's. He could throw it half the length of the pitch and took the opposition midfield out in a stroke and almost always found the man he was throwing to. Even though he was past his prime when he came to Mansfield he was still the best for me.
Soldiers. Remember he also serves who only makes the sandwiches
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Waggy wrote:Anyone remember Martin New? saved a load of penalties against Partick Thistle in the Ango-Scottish Cup?

Yep. He had the game of his life that night. Arguably the best night I’ve ever had at FM.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 pm

According to Wikipedia, Nicky Weaver played 1 game for us before signing for Man City. Don't know who we played or what the score was but he must have played pretty well :D
Rigsby
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Rigsby wrote:According to Wikipedia, Nicky Weaver played 1 game for us before signing for Man City. Don't know who we played or what the score was but he must have played pretty well :D

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-7804755

2-0 away win at Cambridge
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum