{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Best ever Stags keeper?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Best ever Stags keeper?

Postby Jamie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 pm

He's not our best ever keeper, obviously, but Logan against Wycombe a few weeks back was some of the best bits of goalkeeping ive seen at the Mill. For that spell when they battered us constantly he was fantastic.

Is big pie eating Pressman our most successful ever keeper, career wise?
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:36 pm

yorkstag wrote:Rod Arnold for me without thinking about it. A fantastic keeper

His height or lack of it held him back ......but I remember a save ( think it was against Cambridge) which was similar to Banks Pele save.

That's the best save I've ever seen by a Stags keeper. It was against Cambridge, in the FA Cup in 1974/75
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Vice President » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 pm

People talk about Arnold's lack of height, but I don't remember it actually ever being an issue. Were there any goals that he conceded due to being to short?
On the contrary - he could leap like a cat and would dominate corners & crosses and regularly pull off stunning saves.
And whilst we are on the subject of his greatest ever save ... against Sheffield Wednesday at a packed Field Mill, early 80's i think, Quarry lane end, the ball was heading for the top left corner and he somehow got a hand to it and kept it out.
Another great save was Steve Sutton, a midweek game, I can't remember who it was against. I was behind the goal in the North stand - the ball was heading inside the left post and Sutton was wrong footed, but somehow pulled off a world class save to tip it around the post. At that moment I predicted that he would become a regular keeper for Forest within the year.
But this is Arnold's thread - Arnold is No. 1 for me. (I'm not quite old enough to have seen Hollins).
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:09 am

Rodney, Rodney Arnold..........the King of Field Mill.

End of....
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 am

Vice President wrote:People talk about Arnold's lack of height, but I don't remember it actually ever being an issue. Were there any goals that he conceded due to being to short?
On the contrary - he could leap like a cat and would dominate corners & crosses and regularly pull off stunning saves.
And whilst we are on the subject of his greatest ever save ... against Sheffield Wednesday at a packed Field Mill, early 80's i think, Quarry lane end, the ball was heading for the top left corner and he somehow got a hand to it and kept it out.
Another great save was Steve Sutton, a midweek game, I can't remember who it was against. I was behind the goal in the North stand - the ball was heading inside the left post and Sutton was wrong footed, but somehow pulled off a world class save to tip it around the post. At that moment I predicted that he would become a regular keeper for Forest within the year.
But this is Arnold's thread - Arnold is No. 1 for me. (I'm not quite old enough to have seen Hollins).

Height? If you're good enough, you're tall enough!
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Unfortunately not sure that applies to gk.

The point I'm making is that if he had been over 6 feet with his ability he would have played at the v highest level.
yorkstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Vice President wrote:People talk about Arnold's lack of height, but I don't remember it actually ever being an issue. Were there any goals that he conceded due to being to short?

I've mentioned that save against Wed on here before, it was fantastic and will stay with me forever. I can still picture it now, the Wed fans had started to celebrate. Rod was the best, we will be very lucky if we get one better.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby mapp stag » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Rod Arnold was simply the best. End of. Admittedly I’m too young to have seen Holins or Treharne but....

My earliest memories of Stags as a London based fan at the time was away games in the South East from 77/8 onwards. Rod was outstanding, none more so than in a 1-1 draw at Watford in 78/9. When I say he was out of this world in that match I’m not exaggerating. Anyone else recall that match?

I had the privilege of meeting Rod 2 or 3 times in the late 80s. He was a gent and spoke very fondly with real warmth about his time at Mansfield . For me personally he’s my all time Mansfield No1, not just as goalkeeper but Stags all time best player that I’ve seen.
mapp stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:23 pm

mapp stag wrote:Rod Arnold was simply the best. End of. Admittedly I’m too young to have seen Holins or Treharne but....

My earliest memories of Stags as a London based fan at the time was away games in the South East from 77/8 onwards. Rod was outstanding, none more so than in a 1-1 draw at Watford in 78/9. When I say he was out of this world in that match I’m not exaggerating. Anyone else recall that match?

I had the privilege of meeting Rod 2 or 3 times in the late 80s. He was a gent and spoke very fondly with real warmth about his time at Mansfield . For me personally he’s my all time Mansfield No1, not just as goalkeeper but Stags all time best player that I’ve seen.

I seem to recall Rod Arnold tipping away a great shot from Ray Train in that Watford game. No video footage of course unfortunately
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby mapp stag » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Yes. Ironically Ray Train was supposed to have signed for Stags the week previously. In the 93rd minute Ray scored a screamer which even Rod couldn’t get to. I was 10 or11 and swelled up
mapp stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Rod Arnold without a doubt as brave as a lion and Hero to many in that north stand end , actually played against Rod when he was playing for West Notts Colledge good player outfield too and still as competitive ..
Billy the fish
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum