{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Would you really be bothered if evans went

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Would you really be bothered if evans went

Postby Kenwood » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 am

bigalstag wrote:I would just like a manager that plays some football, like Accrington, Wycombe and Cambridge have shown,this, in spite of them not spending the amount that we have. What I've witnessed so far,bar the Luton game, is poor , disjointed performances, where the quality has barely been above what we were watching in previous seasons.All this manager has done so far is fall out with the players, fans,referee ,press or whoever, to deflect away from his own inadequacies.
What I would like from Steve Evans is to manage, cut out all the other crap that he surrounds himself with, and start getting the results, he is being handsomely paid to get.

Wycombe & Cambridge we’re probably as a direct a long ball team I’ve seen for a while..? Not sure that would make good viewing week in week out.

Accrington on the other hand play decent football and there manager always over achieves with the budget etc he is given
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 am

Kenwood wrote:
bigalstag wrote:I would just like a manager that plays some football, like Accrington, Wycombe and Cambridge have shown,this, in spite of them not spending the amount that we have. What I've witnessed so far,bar the Luton game, is poor , disjointed performances, where the quality has barely been above what we were watching in previous seasons.All this manager has done so far is fall out with the players, fans,referee ,press or whoever, to deflect away from his own inadequacies.
What I would like from Steve Evans is to manage, cut out all the other crap that he surrounds himself with, and start getting the results, he is being handsomely paid to get.

Wycombe & Cambridge we’re probably as a direct a long ball team I’ve seen for a while..? Not sure that would make good viewing week in week out.

Accrington on the other hand play decent football and there manager always over achieves with the budget etc he is given

Exeter City have made a good fist of playing football - without throwing silly money around.
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:47 am

The very same fans that were saying WOW What a signing,how did we manage to get Steve Evans ,12 games in are wanting him out .All thinking they would get instant success. We have beaten the top team ,taken points of Luton ,who will probably finish top ,points off Wycombe who will be in the play offs..
If he goes that is out of our hands ,but until then support the team and manager.
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby west country stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:Tick tock

:lol: the mouse ran up the clock :lol:

The clock struck one
The mouse was gone
Hickory Dickory Dock ... there ya go !!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
west country stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:34 am

Whilst I accept what Martin says about Evans record, I think Al's post above sums up best how I feel. We haven't had a decent footballing side for well over a decade now and it is usually a pretty miserable experience watching us play - that has not improved under Evans. Do I want him to leave now, no, would I be inconsolable if he did, no.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:39 am

Ive been very critical of Evans and I wouldn't lose any sleep should he leave. But I don't want him to leave. What I want him to do is have a look at his squad, and think hard about how he wants to play and then deliver Radford what he has been promised.

There is only one way Evans will leave the club and that's if Evans puts his notice in. Radford has no good reason to get rid (yet). He has committed a lot of money this season to have a 'do or die' season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Evans try and wriggle out of his contract. Its quite obvious that's what he is trying to do with his comments. (I may have predicted this a while ago ;) ).

But Evans only reason has to leave would be that he doesn't think he can get us up. Not getting us up with this backing would be seen as a bigger blotch on the Evans' CV than walking out midway through. If I was JR I would be standing fast and make him see out his contract.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:41 am

Having been at the match on Saturday and for the first time since we got thrashed at Cambridge 7 -2 many years ago, I left early with 4 minutes of addded time to be played because I was so diisappointed with the performance. We played a very average side who packed 11 men into their penalty area if we had a corner or free kick and my frustration was born out of the inability of the players to try and counter that tactic. I can't criticise the effort of the team, they didn't roll over and die but we never looked like breaking them down. Is that the player's fault or the manager's fault by making them stick to a game plan?

BUt getting back to the question. Yes I would be bothered if Evans left. For the first time in my memory we seem to have a professional back room set up. If Evans left who would take over? Who would go with him and where would that leave us? And why are so many hitting he panic button. Maybe it was seeing him sitting down, arms folded and looking bored. Maybe its because we expect more from the players he has assembled? Maybe its because the players we would like to see playing are keeping the bench warm - maybe its because of the constant tinkering with the side?

To start a discussion like this is understandable but regrettable because its to early to say we are right and he is wrong. I hope he stays and sees the job through. He has the experience and knowledge to achieve another promotion. I sincerely hope it's with us.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby geoffhill » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 am

Totally agree with Herts Stag.If all the moaners on here were Exeter fans then no doubt they would be calling for Tisdales head after this many games last season.they had a terrible start and look where they finished.He brought Diamond and Mirfin in to be his main defensive pair.We have not seen much of Diamond so far but remember he was Northamptons player of the season in a higher league.I was talking to a Scunny season ticket holder the other day and cannot believe Mirfin came to Mansfield as he was always a seven out of ten every game.We must stay with Evans as often it is better the devil you know...
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Blidworth Stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Jimstag wrote:Depends on the calibre of the replacement. We all know Evans has a reputation for being divisive but get results, we’ve definitely got the first and have signs of the second despite some awful performances.

Dean Saunders is looking for his next managerial post
Blidworth Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Blidworth Stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Steve Evans' record suggests to me he is the best person to take us forward, especially given he has now assembled the squad that he wanted (with, in his words, "1 or 2" new players he wants to bring in in January, and I would presume the same number going out). We are in a reasonable position, two points outside the play-offs at present, and I expect us to be in the top 7 come the end of the season. I think it would be hugely disappointing if he left, especially for John and Carolyn Radford. It's been a while since the club appointed a manager with his experience and excellent record for getting promotions.

If Evans goes we will appoint somebody like Dean Saunders, John Dempster and then remain a league 2 team that's ambitions is simply to stay in league 2, JR cant keep pumping in Millions with average attendances, this seasons budget has gone, we have the worst moaning fans in the league so we need to be very careful what we wish for
Blidworth Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tmwilson » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:32 pm

I still cant believe he's our manager . I believe every league two club would be happy to have him as their manager .
Even with the money we have splashed out I don't think certain players would of joined us it it wasn't for Evans and his ambition .
I honestly can't believe the reaction of some fans . The legendary Dave Smith would of been long gone before he won us promotion , if some of our fans were around then .
We are two points off the play offs . Some of our fans want us to win every game playing exciting football . Get a grip .
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:46 pm

tmwilson wrote:I still cant believe he's our manager . I believe every league two club would be happy to have him as their manager .
Even with the money we have splashed out I don't think certain players would of joined us it it wasn't for Evans and his ambition .
I honestly can't believe the reaction of some fans . The legendary Dave Smith would of been long gone before he won us promotion , if some of our fans were around then .
We are two points off the play offs . Some of our fans want us to win every game playing exciting football . Get a grip .

Good post. I was speaking to Mk and Bradford fans on Saturday and both lots of supporters rated Evans as a manager.
Some fans would be first in queue at a stoning in biblical times :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Yes I would be bothered, what is the point of pouring lots of resources into a project only to give up the first time the going gets a bit tough to start all over again?

If the moaners hound Evans out, I think JR will lose heart and won't be far behind him, why would anyone keep bankrolling a project that the fans won't get behind?

The backing of the club has been fantastic, we fans need to step up to the plate and get behind the club, not constantly agitating for further change. Though I don't think the views on here a representative of most Stags fans, just the vociferous minority.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Keep it Simple » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:30 pm

I would just like to say that this thread is a rarity.
Good reasoned debate, no falling out ; it's been a treat to read from posters with different opinions on our manager.
It's been a great read.

For me, he has to be given this season, even though I do have real doubts at the moment in his ability to have a settled plan/style of play to get us out.
On the other side of the coin him keep threatening this and that like Donald Trump, well he could go now for me, as we will all be debating this club long after he's talked his way into a new pay check somewhere else.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Keep it Simple wrote:I would just like to say that this thread is a rarity.
Good reasoned debate, no falling out ; it's been a treat to read from posters with different opinions on our manager.
It's been a great read.

For me, he has to be given this season, even though I do have real doubts at the moment in his ability to have a settled plan/style of play to get us out.
On the other side of the coin him keep threatening this and that like Donald Trump, well he could go now for me, as we will all be debating this club long after he's talked his way into a new pay check somewhere else.

I, like many, just wish Evans would demonstrate that he knows what his best team is.
Last edited by EdwinstoweStag on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm

No I wouldnt be bothered because I didnt want him to be appointed in the first place. But, he is in situ, a lot of money has been spent, and i reckon he will be demanding more in January because he is an assembler of teams rather than a builder of teams. Will be get us promotion? Well if he doesnt then he only has himself to blame, and right now it is looking like he wants to blame the supporters. So do i want him gone, certainly not at the moment, totally wrong time to dismiss a manager, but I`m pretty certain that if he fails, JR will not continue to bail him out for very long.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:49 pm

The project has only just started. We need him to stay.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chacawab » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 pm

I would be gutted if Evans left. He has sold me a dream, maybe for the first time since that I've been following Stags. This is the reason why we believe that we should be winning at places like Crewe, Colchester and Cheltenham.

With the Radfords' backing and a professional set up led by an experienced and successful manager in Evans it really feels like we are going places. Maybe we all need some perspective on how long it may take to turn the ship around.

Evans' choice of words after the match was poor, although in hindsight we can maybe appreciate what he was trying to get at. Last Saturday evening seems like an age ago now, let's move on together.

COYS!
Chacawab
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foxy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:06 pm

to answer the OP

Yes I would be bothered. The best manager we've had in a generation. Needs to see out at least a full season.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 pm

yes
Up The Stags
grufti
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tawnystag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 pm

The reasons that I think a lot of people feel frustrated:

Despite only having the vast majority of this squad since the summer, he signed everyone very early and has had opportunity to settle them in, especially with the barrage of friendlies that were played pre-season.

He keeps shifting the goalposts, initially asking us to wait till 10 games, then it was 10-12 games, then 15, now we have to wait till Christmas to see consistency.

Arguably the best players we have in the squad are ones brought in by Murray, despite continually slagging off the old regime.

The complete disrespect shown to players referees, opposition managers, supporters - mistakenly labelled as 'passion'.

His misinterpretation of the teams performances in post match interviews and calling out specific players for criticism.

His insistence to sticking with players who are clearly underperforming for long periods then whipping out others at the drop of a hat.

I think it would be a shame to see him go, if for no other reason that he owes us and The Radford's success. He needs to back up this record he refers to every 5 seconds and start settling the team so that we play consistently and with predictability.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vice President » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 pm

I can't believe all this hysteria!
Last week everything was looking 'ok'. Not quite where we want to be, but 'there or there abouts'.
We lost an away game at Colchester that we could/should have won. Both the fans and Steve Evans are understandably frustrated and words are said. The speculation about Evans going to another club adds to the cocktail.
But let's get a reality check here:- Steve Evans is our best chance of promotion at the moment. He might not have got it quite right in the first 12 games, but he deserves a chance .... and that means at least the whole of this season - and maybe beyond.
Stags fans need to be patient and get behind the team especially when the going gets tough. I don't think that Evans has spent the top budget that many have alluded to - and any successor won't have the top budget either. Yes he will make mistakes along the way - he always said it will be a 'roller coaster'. Let's go with the ride. Criticise tactics and selection and voice opinion by all means, but let's also keep within the spirit of supporting the club (management & players) through thick & thin. It might just make the difference.
Calling for Steve Evans' head after 12 games when we are close to the play-offs is ridiculous.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Steve Evans in. Some of our fans are embarrassing.
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
First Team
First Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Any fan that says they wouldn’t be bothered is telling porkies. We are still lucky to have him imo, it’s just the losses now are harder to take with this squad. I’m sure it will come good soon.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Mansf1eld wrote:Steve Evans in. Some of our fans are embarrassing.
I am not sure Evans has the genetics to succeed if I am being honest
Last edited by ST4GS on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST4GS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum