{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Would you really be bothered if evans went

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Would you really be bothered if evans went

Postby spanishstag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Personally not bothered if he goes ,not a problem with him ,but he is not as good as he thinks he is
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Would you really be bothered if evans went

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:51 pm

No
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 pm

I would be disappointed if he went. We’ve only played 12 games, 36 left to go and still all to play for.

If he went I couldn’t see us bringing in anyone as successful as Evans. Can’t believe we’re discussing if we want evans roc go when we’ve only lost 3 in 12 and we’re just outside the play offs.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Depends on the calibre of the replacement. We all know Evans has a reputation for being divisive but get results, we’ve definitely got the first and have signs of the second despite some awful performances.
Jimstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:59 pm

If Evans goes does it mean that Paul goes as well or do you think Paul might want a crack at the job instead of playing 2nd fiddle to SE
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 pm

SINA STAG wrote:If Evans goes does it mean that Paul goes as well or do you think Paul might want a crack at the job instead of playing 2nd fiddle to SE

wherever evans goes, raynor goes with i’m pretty sure
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Not quite so bothered if he goes now he never quells job offers immediately and when linked with Gillingham never said No! Clearly once
I would prefer him to stAy and do not like him being called fat and and other personal abuse which is disrespectful and makes us, as so called supporters look quite bad
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Not quite so bothered if he goes now he never quells job offers immediately and when linked with Gillingham never said No! Clearly once
I would prefer him to stAy and do not like him being called fat and and other personal abuse which is disrespectful and makes us, as so called supporters look quite bad

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co ... l/41512822
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Steve Evans' record suggests to me he is the best person to take us forward, especially given he has now assembled the squad that he wanted (with, in his words, "1 or 2" new players he wants to bring in in January, and I would presume the same number going out). We are in a reasonable position, two points outside the play-offs at present, and I expect us to be in the top 7 come the end of the season. I think it would be hugely disappointing if he left, especially for John and Carolyn Radford. It's been a while since the club appointed a manager with his experience and excellent record for getting promotions.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Spot on martin, if he left we wouldn’t get anyone with as good a football leagues record as evans has
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:08 pm

I agree totally Martin.
Football fans are very fickle and inpatient.
Evans' record deserves some credit. We always knew that his methods were questionable - but would that matter if he got us promoted?
I think he should be given a fair chance - and that means at least the whole of this season.
We didn't sack Ian Greaves after 12 months - and rightly so. (and look how long Tisdale has been at Exeter).
I would like him to be given a proper chance.
We need to be patient.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 pm

If he went to Gillingham, we'd get compensation surely, which insinuates Gillingham have a bit to spend if they're willing to buy Evans out of his contract.

That compensation money could be used towards prying a manager away from another club....for example there's one massively over-achieving as usual at Accrington.

All hypothetical mind you, but if it did happen, the squad already assembled here would mean a lot of managers wouldn't need a lot of persuading.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:23 pm

stagmanrob wrote:If he went to Gillingham, we'd get compensation surely, which insinuates Gillingham have a bit to spend if they're willing to buy Evans out of his contract.

That compensation money could be used towards prying a manager away from another club....for example there's one massively over-achieving as usual at Accrington.

All hypothetical mind you, but if it did happen, the squad already assembled here would mean a lot of managers wouldn't need a lot of persuading.

From reading gillinghams forum and watching their game today , there seems to be a disconnect between fans and owner and they don’t want him there. I’m sure evans said he doesn’t want a job where all parties involved aren’t pulling in the same direction. Plus we’re near the play offs looking to get into league one whereas gillingham are probably coming the other way
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I would be disappointed if he went. We’ve only played 12 games, 36 left to go and still all to play for.

If he went I couldn’t see us bringing in anyone as successful as Evans. Can’t believe we’re discussing if we want evans roc go when we’ve only lost 3 in 12 and we’re just outside the play offs.

Bobby it could also be seen as two very poor defeats in three.

Despite yesterday i'd be disappointed if he left but as has been mentioned he does seem at times tactically inept which does raise cocerns, his summer recruitment up front will hurt us but the inability to get a settled central midfield and play through it is what will be are undoing. We play better when the ball is on the floor but when we resort to, what can only be described as, hoof football bypassing the midfield it usually comes back twice as fast and invites pressure onto the defence.

There where a few glimpses yesterday where we would play it along the back or middle lines in the oppositions half (first half especially) and it looked like Arsenal. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth probing for an opening but we either struggle to find a gap and lose possession to the opposition (due to a silly mistake) and they counter attack or alternatively we break through and don't have the quality to convert.

Have no doubts we seem to be in a constant run of tough fixtures,
and October is no different. I see this as make or break for Steve and genuinely do struggle to see where the points will come (i hope im wrong).

I see Swindon as the most likely fixture to obtain 3pts
Barnet away (night match) and Newport away - we need to fix our away form sharpish or risk two defeats.
Exeter - League leaders and likely to challenge our home record.

Lose all four (which could happen) and I think the decision will be out of his hands anyway.

As I say I hope im wrong.
Last edited by Stags 2002 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:If he went to Gillingham, we'd get compensation surely, which insinuates Gillingham have a bit to spend if they're willing to buy Evans out of his contract.

From reading gillinghams forum and watching their game today , there seems to be a disconnect between fans and owner and they don’t want him there. I’m sure evans said he doesn’t want a job where all parties involved aren’t pulling in the same direction. Plus we’re near the play offs looking to get into league one whereas gillingham are probably coming the other way

I don't think for one second he'll even consider Gillingham unless they're going to be taken over by some Billionaire with unlimited funds anytime soon, it's not something he does really is it?
It's all about protecting his CV and his image.

I think he's using it because he loves having "Brand Evans" in the media spotlight so it looks like he's in demand.

He'd have been loving the TalkSport coverage on Saturday and the questions being fired at him about it.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:30 pm

I agree that he would be a great replacement. but just playing devils advocate here: Perhaps our squad is not as good as we'd like to think. Perhaps the manager at Accrington would think that this squad isn't any better than the one that he has assembled. It might not be easy to prise him away to come to another mid-table league 2 team?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 pm

I think it’s still early days, fans fancy be unhappy and that’s completely fair, but i won’t start slagging him off just yet.

When we got promoted from BSP, we were raspberry first half of the season, no? We were winning, losing, drawing with no real consistency. Then after the liverpool game we were absolutely electric which we went on the run that got us promoted. All of this happened after christmas, and I think a lot were probably fed up with cox before christmas and look where he took us.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I think it’s still early days, fans fancy be unhappy and that’s completely fair, but i won’t start slagging him off just yet.

When we got promoted from BSP, we were raspberry first half of the season, no? We were winning, losing, drawing with no real consistency. Then after the liverpool game we were absolutely electric which we went on the run that got us promoted. All of this happened after christmas, and I think a lot were probably fed up with cox before christmas and look where he took us.

No fans fancy being unhappy Bobby, BSP is a totally different league to league 2. You can't compare the two, never going to go on a run like that in this league. I don't like steves interviews never rebuffs any approach, does he seem 100% committed to promotion with the stags? He needs to come out and say it before next Saturday or the fans will start to think he doesn't give a raspberries and that will be the beginning of the end for him

Do I want him to stay, 100% yes if he commits to the club. His cv is what we need to get out this league, his attitude and conduct currently is not what we want. Jr and cr deserve more fromthere manager, as do the fans
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I think it’s still early days, fans fancy be unhappy and that’s completely fair, but i won’t start slagging him off just yet.

Cox did it for two seasons actually. The season before when he got us out of nowhere into the playoffs, people were calling for his head by Xmas....I remember because I was one of them.
The thing with Cox is that he played direct football, but he set up his team entirely to play that way. We had huge centre halves as well as big strikers, and players who could make throw-ins seem like a corner being put into the box.
Evans plays direct football predominantly so far, but we havn't the players to make it a constant success.
Angol, for a tall striker, is up there with the likes of McAliskey for his inability to ever win an aerial challenge. Spencer is seemingly the big striker to play that kind of football to, but he isn't playing and when he has, he's hardly impressed.

Coxy, for all the dire football, had a plan no matter how horrible it was.....but it didn't work at League 2 level.

Evans thus far, doesn't seem to really have a plan to me, not sure what it is if he has?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:

No fans fancy being unhappy Bobby, BSP is a totally different league to league 2. You can't compare the two, never going to go on a run like that in this league. I don't like steves interviews never rebuffs any approach, does he seem 100% committed to promotion with the stags? He needs to come out and say it before next Saturday or the fans will start to think he doesn't give a raspberries and that will be the beginning of the end for him

Do I want him to stay, 100% yes if he commits to the club. His cv is what we need to get out this league, his attitude and conduct currently is not what we want. Jr and cr deserve more fromthere manager, as do the fans

exeter went on a run like that, if they hadn’t have started so poor the year would’ve been automatic easily. so it does happen

didn’t northampton go a good amount of games being unbeaten when they were promoted?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes I would be very bothered. When have we ever had a manager with a track record like Evans? We're 2 off the playoffs and 5 off automatics with over 30 games to go, I just can't understand anybody who wouldn't be bothered if he went because you can pretty much guarantee whoever comes in won't have a record like Evans. He said it will be 'a rollercoaster' all along, I hate losing but people need to need a bit of perspective.
BH_Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:41 pm

I think some of you confuse fans not wanting Evans here and Evans not wanting to be here. As I said on another thread yesterday his body language was that of somebody who I think had other things on his mind. Maybe I'm totally wrong I guess time will tell
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:57 pm

I would just like a manager that plays some football, like Accrington, Wycombe and Cambridge have shown,this, in spite of them not spending the amount that we have. What I've witnessed so far,bar the Luton game, is poor , disjointed performances, where the quality has barely been above what we were watching in previous seasons.All this manager has done so far is fall out with the players, fans,referee ,press or whoever, to deflect away from his own inadequacies.
What I would like from Steve Evans is to manage, cut out all the other crap that he surrounds himself with, and start getting the results, he is being handsomely paid to get.
bigalstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:28 am

Tick tock
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 am