{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Would you really be bothered if evans went

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Would you really be bothered if evans went

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:10 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Mansf1eld wrote:Steve Evans in. Some of our fans are embarrassing.
I am not sure Evans had the genetics to succeed if I am being honest

genuinely cant tell if this is a piss take or not
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 pm

I want Evans to stay and for us to go up. Giving him more time is a non issue really, to even think about changing now is pure madness and unwarranted.

There is a fine line on how fans should behave though. For me, debating performances, players etc is all part of the game. But it should happen online, in the pub, with those around you at the game. This early into a campaign, being that negative post game towards the team is just way ott.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Jamie wrote:I want Evans to stay and for us to go up. Giving him more time is a non issue really, to even think about changing now is pure madness and unwarranted.

There is a fine line on how fans should behave though. For me, debating performances, players etc is all part of the game. But it should happen online, in the pub, with those around you at the game. This early into a campaign, being that negative post game towards the team is just way ott.

There are some real knuckle draggers, Ive heard booing at lincoln at HT, the draw at home to wycombe and a few more occasions.

If we were in the relegation zone I could understand ‘what a load of rubbish’ but not when we’re just outside the play offs
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:28 am

Unless we all pull together it will end in failure. Patience is needed.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 am

Amber Andy wrote:Unless we all pull together it will end in failure. Patience is needed.

Let's hope we can sign him in the January transfer window, then. ;)
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:46 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Jamie wrote:I want Evans to stay and for us to go up. Giving him more time is a non issue really, to even think about changing now is pure madness and unwarranted.

There are some real knuckle draggers, Ive heard booing at lincoln at HT, the draw at home to wycombe and a few more occasions.

If we were in the relegation zone I could understand ‘what a load of rubbish’ but not when we’re just outside the play offs

Generally happens when they've a gallon of ale inside them.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Brinner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 am

Evans biggest mistake is not signing a proven striker. Everyone knew this was the problem was last season. We would have made the play offs if we had got a Collins or a Hylton. So that should have been his first signing this season. Not centre halves and loads of midfielders. but one of the two aforementioned players and fit the rest around. The defence was sound and so why waste money on 2 centre halves we don't really need. Having said that Mirfin has been superb every time I have seen him play and I haven't seen Diamond. I find it ironic that he said last season that there was a big difference between goal scoring in the Conference and the league and then signs 2 players who were prolific in non league. I fear that this may cost us come next April.
Brinner
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 am

You seem to suggest he could have signed one of those two, or that they would want to come. We were linked with loads of proven strikers over the summer but couldn't get a deal done.

That isn't Evans fault is it...

From what I've seen, finishing isn't the main issue. Its the lack of chances we're creating.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:40 am

Jamie, that comment is just not right. We've had chances in nearly game. The successful teams bury them, however few and far between they come.
I like Evans, never a dull moment, but think that he's made a blunder in the striker department. We look weaker now upfront than we have for a while
I also think that his style of play is not a million miles away from Coxy, something I got slated for on here when I mentioned it a while ago (having said that, I prefer a direct pushing style of play to tippy tappy)
FarnieStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 am

Brinner wrote:Evans biggest mistake is not signing a proven striker. Everyone knew this was the problem was last season. We would have made the play offs if we had got a Collins or a Hylton. So that should have been his first signing this season. Not centre halves and loads of midfielders. but one of the two aforementioned players and fit the rest around. The defence was sound and so why waste money on 2 centre halves we don't really need. Having said that Mirfin has been superb every time I have seen him play and I haven't seen Diamond. I find it ironic that he said last season that there was a big difference between goal scoring in the Conference and the league and then signs 2 players who were prolific in non league. I fear that this may cost us come next April.

well yes, it would obviously make a big difference if we had a Collins, a Hylton, a Marquis. But the fact is they were either too expensive or not available. Evans and/or John/Carolyn have mentioned at different times we attempted to sign all three of these, and others. So, in my opinion, it is incorrect to call it a mistake or blunder not to sign them.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby ST4GS » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:23 am

Back in 1977 when Nottingham Forest got promoted to the First Division Cloughie went and signed the best goalkeeper at great cost to the club.
Building from the back first and created a solid foundation. Amazingly he did not make any other changes and look what happened.
Would Forest have gone on to win the league and two European cups with a competent but unspectacular John Middleton in goal (maybe not although Chris Woods was also coming through the ranks but was still very young?)
It cannot be under-estimated the impact a goalkeeper has on the defence. *See also Klopp and Liverpool*
Man Utd probably would have finished just above mid table the last few years without De Gea's brilliance.
Our defence in my opinion is very good with plenty of choice but has not yet sorted out the danger of crosses into our box and responsibility (keepers need to command their area?)
I was really hoping we would have gone for a marquee goalkeeper signing along with a marquee striker. (we got neither)
ST4GS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby victor A block » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:26 pm

ST4GS wrote:Back in 1977 when Nottingham Forest got promoted to the First Division Cloughie went and signed the best goalkeeper at great cost to the club.
Building from the back first and created a solid foundation. Amazingly he did not make any other changes and look what happened.
Would Forest have gone on to win the league and two European cups with a competent but unspectacular John Middleton in goal (maybe not although Chris Woods was also coming through the ranks but was still very young?)
It cannot be under-estimated the impact a goalkeeper has on the defence. *See also Klopp and Liverpool*
Man Utd probably would have finished just above mid table the last few years without De Gea's brilliance.
Our defence in my opinion is very good with plenty of choice but has not yet sorted out the danger of crosses into our box and responsibility (keepers need to command their area?)
I was really hoping we would have gone for a marquee goalkeeper signing along with a marquee striker. (we got neither)

I agree...but of course we have signed another keeper and he's not had a chance. Although Logan has improved Id still make the change.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:28 pm

FarnieStag wrote:Jamie, that comment is just not right. We've had chances in nearly game. The successful teams bury them, however few and far between they come.
I like Evans, never a dull moment, but think that he's made a blunder in the striker department. We look weaker now upfront than we have for a while
I also think that his style of play is not a million miles away from Coxy, something I got slated for on here when I mentioned it a while ago (having said that, I prefer a direct pushing style of play to tippy tappy)

Farnie is right.

The club (or Martin (or whoever it was)) very shrewdly published a clip about 'missed chances' at Colchester.

The result was a disaster, but the build up play was ok, chances were created, but they SHOULD have been put away. Better strikers would have converted.

There was also a problem about the crosses being either floated or lofted in which were very easy to defend against.

I like Evans' high tempo football. It is direct, but its not long ball like Cox. Cox's good honest boys just used to lump it into space and hope someone got on the end of it. Evans's players are actually looking for a pass, be it long, or direct, its usually aimed at someone.

A result on Saturday and we're right back in the frame.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:36 pm

I think the point about the striker is valid. But to be fair to SE he did bid a lot of money for one or two strikers, unfortunately it didn't happen. But does anyone seriously think that any other manager we had would have signed that quality of striker? Because I don't.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:54 pm

that was me Arsene. There were some supporters claiming we created no chances at Colchester. Norman was claiming on facebook that we had no shots at goal. When I provided the video he then said he meant shots on target. I pointed out there are several shots on target in the video. He just needed to actually watch it. Someone else claimed that my report was not an accurate representation on the game. Well again the video is useful and shows the chances that someone thinks I must have made up
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:that was me Arsene. There were some supporters claiming we created no chances at Colchester. Norman was claiming on facebook that we had no shots at goal. When I provided the video he then said he meant shots on target. I pointed out there are several shots on target in the video. He just needed to actually watch it. Someone else claimed that my report was not an accurate representation on the game. Well again the video is useful and shows the chances that someone thinks I must have made up

Now then Martin, don't go spoiling the fun with pointless facts. ;)
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Brinner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Further to my earlier post regarding the non signing of Hylton or Collins. Both have played for him before. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........
Brinner
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Most certainly, he is an asset
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:31 pm

I think we all prob expected to be top 3 at least from the off, It hasn't really gone to plan but I still expect to finish in the play-offs, I expect to see Evans stop and finish what he has started whether it means promotion next season instead...How many seasons did it take Pompey to get out of L2?.
steiner
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Brinner wrote:Further to my earlier post regarding the non signing of Hylton or Collins. Both have played for him before. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

As I said earlier, the fact is they were either too expensive (Collins) or not available (Hylton). Evans and/or John/Carolyn have mentioned at different times we attempted to sign them, plus Marquis, and others.

I think you're hinting that you think the reason we didn't sign these two is because they have played for Evans before. Collins has in fact never played for Evans. We'll probably never know whether Hylton wanted to play for Evans again ... he only played one game for him before ... you may be right, you may be wrong. I have no reason to believe that we were being told porkies when we were told that Collins was too expensive so we pulled out. In fact I'm sure it's correct. Luton could afford him, we couldn't. And I suspect Luton were never going to let Hylton go.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Brinner wrote:Further to my earlier post regarding the non signing of Hylton or Collins. Both have played for him before. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

As I said earlier, the fact is they were either too expensive (Collins) or not available (Hylton). Evans and/or John/Carolyn have mentioned at different times we attempted to sign them, plus Marquis, and others.

I think you're hinting that you think the reason we didn't sign these two is because they have played for Evans before. Collins has in fact never played for Evans. We'll probably never know whether Hylton wanted to play for Evans again ... he only played one game for him before ... you may be right, you may be wrong. I have no reason to believe that we were being told porkies when we were told that Collins was too expensive so we pulled out. In fact I'm sure it's correct. Luton could afford him, we couldn't. And I suspect Luton were never going to let Hylton go.
Thats my take on it too. Hylton is one of the first names on Luton's team sheet. It's only because we have SE as manager that we are attempting to sign these type of players.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum