{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

best team in what formation

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

best team in what formation

Postby mansfieldforever » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi folks
I have been watching football for 48 years mainly as a uk resident but also 6 years in italy and 3 years in spain.Ok given our personel and the undoubted quality within in it I feel its just a matter of getting the right players on the field in the best formation to utilise the talents of the group. I 'II try to make this as consice as possible. WE have to play wing backs because this is one of our strengths so white and benning or hunt. Obviously this requires three centre backs, again one of our strengths Mirfin bennett and pearce. Then things get just a little more complicated. You have to have Byrom in there without doubt he makes the watch tick, you have to have mellis in there he is somebody who has that extra quality what given the right system will be allowed to flourish. Then you have to have a box to box player or this becomes slightly unbalanced when in or conversley out of possession so i would play atkinson. Iwould have to find a place for mcdonald so it would be just behind rose. THIS formation would undoubtably dominate possession, and the attacking threat from midfield is where many goals would originate from. Effectively we would be smothering the opposition and our extra quality would come through, after all thats what we have undoubtably got. So for me it is

logan

white bennett mirfin pearce benning/hunt

atkinson byrom mellis

mcdonald rose

NOW THAT LOOKS A TEAM

When i lived in italy i had the privelige of watching Juventus smoother teams with this formation, they didn't win by 4's and 5's often but they virtually always and i mean always did what they had to do, the other team cant beat you without the ball and when the cannot find an area to exploit. Get our best players on the field in this format and we will make the top 3, as the cream should rise to the top, but it cannot if your not putting the cream in the mix. Your thought please. Thanks
mansfieldforever
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: best team in what formation

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:29 pm

Firstly welcome mansfieldforever,

I agree the formation is how we need to play (or certainly give it ago) as I also suggested something similar a few weeks. 5 at the back but very much wing back attacking formation.

I would go for the following:

Logan
White Pearce Diamond Mirfin Benning
Byrom
Anderson Mellis MacDonald
Rose

Benning gets the nod for me after yesterdays game, hunt seemed on many occasions unwilling to get stuck in and win a tackle when the Colchester winger was running down the line. The colchester player would either get the cross in or it would be Macdonald coming back to get his foot in and win the tackle.

Diamond also gets the nod for me as I think we have missee him also, Bennett hasn't done anything wrong just felt we had a really good player in diamond and he has been missed.

Anderson / Atkinson is close, i feel Anderson has shown more over the course of the season so far and playing out of position last two games hasn't helped him. Yes if emergency cover but not if White or Bennett is fit.

Its just a shame Evans won't try it (even when everyone is fully fit) as he seems too focused on 4-4-2.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby mansfieldforever » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 pm

yep
good choice my only concern with Diamond is the balls over the top may expose his lack of pace if a team attacks us on the counter attack thats why i could only choose one of mirfin or diamond, but thanks for your thoughts, why oh why doesnt steve see this , or perhaps he does and it is on its way !!!
mansfieldforever
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby mansfieldforever » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:46 pm

he has the best ist eleven in the league so why does he not play it, yes your reply must be what so many people are thinking
mansfieldforever
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stags4eva » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 pm

For me this was ready made at the start of the season and it would have enabled him to build the team around Mellis while still having two strikers. I would have gone for something like this.

New Keeper (not comvinced on logan)

White bennett pearce taft benning
Byrom digby (or digby type battler)
Mellis
Rose Top Striker (not convinced about ours)

Bennett and Taft are perfect for those positions both being able to play centre half and full back, enabling the wing backs to really push on (white and benning are both built to get up and down). You get midfield protection with two holders and mellis (maybe with macdonald as his backup) free to create. As well as the luxury of two strikers.
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 pm

we did play three at the back, with two wing-backs (Anderson, then MacDonald on the right, Hunt on the left) in the second half yesterday. I don't think it worked very well. Having said that, I'm not against it at all in general.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:31 pm

I would definitely favour a system where we have more bodies in there half than our own as we have players what can dominate possession .

Would go 4-3-3

Olejnik (Think Logan should be dropped as I feel he should of saved the first goal yesterday)
White Bennett Pearce Benning
Mellis Byrom McDonald
Hemmings Rose Angol

Focus of our playing style should be for Mellis and MacDonald getting forward at all opportunities with white and Benning providing width but Byrom covering the defence.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 pm

on Logan, the first goal yesterday was deflected, and wrong-footed him. Very harsh to blame him for that, in my opinion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:on Logan, the first goal yesterday was deflected, and wrong-footed him. Very harsh to blame him for that, in my opinion.

try telling that to yorkshire stag!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:on Logan, the first goal yesterday was deflected, and wrong-footed him. Very harsh to blame him for that, in my opinion.

try telling that to yorkshire stag!

I think it's clear from the video he's wrong footed
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:56 pm

It trickled in, his feet were rooted, not on his toes and didn't allow his feet to move a cross his line.

IMO he should be saving it.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:33 am

I have always found that the very best, most talented, goalkeepers at Field Mill, to have bought tickets to get in.

They tend to sit next to the very best, most talented, defenders, midfielders, strikers and referees.
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:56 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:I have always found that the very best, most talented, goalkeepers at Field Mill, to have bought tickets to get in.

They tend to sit next to the very best, most talented, defenders, midfielders, strikers and referees.

They also have the very best, loudest gobs on them! :P
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:59 pm

At the moment 4231

Logan
White, Pearce, Mirfin/Bennett, Hunt
Atkinson, Byrom
Macdonald, Mellis, Anderson
Rose
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Richard Cranium wrote: by Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:59 pm
At the moment 4231LoganWhite, Pearce, Mirfin/Bennett, HuntAtkinson, ByromMacdonald, Mellis, AndersonRose

totally agree with this....shouldn't be shoehorning 2 strikers in at the expense of our quality midfield when we only really have 1 decent striker (maybe 2....but none of them link up well anyway).

Having Mellis in there somehow where he doesn't have to track back etc has to be the priority, need to build the team around him rather then only use him against crap sides where we can afford for him not to track back.
S7AGS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby mansfieldforever » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:09 am

ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU HOPE STEVE DOES
mansfieldforever
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 am

We have the quality to play any formation ion paper but in practice all we need to do is cross the ball better and be more lively i front of goal.

So many chances / good play is wasted by poor crosses. From macdonald hunt Anderson sterling james etc. If they crossed it properly we surely will convert more.

For me its not about formations its about the quality of the balls into the box.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:59 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:We have the quality to play any formation ion paper but in practice all we need to do is cross the ball better and be more lively i front of goal.

So many chances / good play is wasted by poor crosses. From macdonald hunt Anderson sterling james etc. If they crossed it properly we surely will convert more.

For me its not about formations its about the quality of the balls into the box.

That’s why we’re missing benning bombing forward and getting crossed into the box. Hunt has been good but doesn’t have the attacking threat that Mal has
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:11 pm

;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum