{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Observation not a moan on defending

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Observation not a moan on defending

Postby Chander Lear » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 am

I think its pretty clear now that our weak links are defending high balls into the box

Causes us problems every week without fail. As good as mirf and pearce gave been, heading isnt mirfs strong point

Time for a change to combat this?
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Re: Observation not a moan on defending

Postby trenty » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:37 am

It doesn't help when you have got a goalie who can't catch s ball and doesn't command his six yard box
trenty
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stags4eva » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 am

And a centre half (Mirfin) who's not quite as good in the air as the player he replaced (Bennett)
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stag861 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:56 am

I think bringing Bennett on at half time was to try and counteract their giant of a centre forward. (SE note, big lads score goals)
stag861
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:15 pm

stag861 wrote:I think bringing Bennett on at half time was to try and counteract their giant of a centre forward. (SE note, big lads score goals)

Angol is 6'4" I think and should be a handful to any defence, but he's not as good with his head as Rose who's about half his size.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 pm

they out-thought us yesterday getting it wide as often as possible and getting balls over.. whereas us.. we put balls into the box towards 4/5 blue & white shirts and perhaps 1 yellow.

and im just sick to death of corners going straight to the keeper.. we must do this at least 5 times a game.. hows about mixing it up with a short one now and then?
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby scottyd281 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Listened on ifollow yesterday, the game especially in the 2nd half appeared to be missing the midfield with big kicks up to the front two, was this the case for those folks who did watch the game? If it was I wonder what the players think taking into account their pedigree :). I mentioned importance of form to a pal of mine the other day, signing a good crop of players most with promotion experience and warned him that could well be the Achilles heal should it go a little pear shaped over the next 5-10 games, as no doubt the in fighting would most likely start with such a new bunch.

I have faith in the squad, SE and his crew at the moment. We all have off days and yesterday was on of those, it just so happens we have had 2 within a relatively short space of time; however some players have not lived up to the hype and by Xmas we shall have a better picture of both SE (if he is still here) & his squad.
scottyd281
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:44 pm

Spiritater wrote:
stag861 wrote:I think bringing Bennett on at half time was to try and counteract their giant of a centre forward. (SE note, big lads score goals)

Angol is 6'4" I think and should be a handful to any defence, but he's not as good with his head as Rose who's about half his size.

Blimey! Is Rose only 3'2"? I have even greater respect for him now.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:26 pm

all managers by now will have worked out we have a keeper who stays on his line and does not come for a cross, until it’s sorted we are always gonna get caught
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:30 pm

Time to give Bob a bash at it.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:46 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:all managers by now will have worked out we have a keeper who stays on his line and does not come for a cross, until it’s sorted we are always gonna get caught

yeah it’s not like Omari james or krystian pearce were at fault for the goals yesterday. carry on blaming logan who has been much improved since the start of the season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:48 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Blimey! Is Rose only 3'2"? I have even greater respect for him now.

3 foot 2
Eyes of blue
Danny Rose is after you
Na na-na na - de na na - de na
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Footie mad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:47 pm

After yesterday’s game I believe SE should never have let Taft out on loan he’s well over 6ft tall and good in the air. It’s what we are lacking at the moment in defence.
Footie mad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Footie mad wrote:After yesterday’s game I believe SE should never have let Taft out on loan he’s well over 6ft tall and good in the air. It’s what we are lacking at the moment in defence.

We’ve got diamond instead of Taft
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Whichever way you look at it, the fact is, our defense is not as good as it was last season. Fingers automatically point to the changes that have been made since then (e.g. the Goal keeper, the centre-backs, and to an extent swapping the full backs continuously - plus appointing a new goal keeping coach who seems to have made us more vulnerable). Furthermore, it is also due to the midfield & forwards who don't defend well and keep giving away costly free kicks on the edge of the area and allow too many crosses into the box.
Either way, our defense appears to be inadequate when it comes to defending set pieces and crosses. Until these aspects are sorted we will struggle to win games consistently.
And the forwards is another whole area of inadequacy!
Steve Evans might might not be a million miles away from having a promotion team ...... but he needs to make some big changes if he is to achieve that ambition this season.
In my opinion, he needs a midfield general and a quality goal scorer ASAP.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:54 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Footie mad wrote:After yesterday’s game I believe SE should never have let Taft out on loan he’s well over 6ft tall and good in the air. It’s what we are lacking at the moment in defence.

From what I've seen Taft is better.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:56 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

you’ve probably seen diamond play a handful of times, can’t really judge him from that. He needs a run in the team to prove what he can do.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Angol is 6'4"[/b] I think and should be a handful to any defence, but he's not as good with his head as Rose who's about half his size.

Angola is actually 6' 0" due to 0'4" electricial hair!!
smulls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Blidworth Stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Spiritater wrote:

So Rose wins his headers what did they produce on Saturday ?, Angol was not bought to the club for his heading ability
Blidworth Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 am

To me Angol so far is another Andy White. He's been disappointing this season. I hope he begins to produce sharpish or it'll be a long next three months.
I've given up on Hemmings now, I think the guy is a total dud, unless Kane'd like to prove me wrong and start to live up to Evans's hype.

The much maligned Spencer should be given a chance ahead of Hemmings he can do no worse, in fact anyone who posts on here could do no worse.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

The same Taft that cannot get a game at Cambridge.
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:04 am

daddycool wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

The same Taft that cannot get a game at Cambridge.

We've really not seen enough of Diamond to pass judgement.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum